Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The cars of luxury
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:57 am 

Hi all new here, started on the taxis a while back and been looking at buying my own car, want to pay cash as finance seems a bad deal and I hate settle cars! Have drove focus mondeos and insignia so far and all tend to have problems (could be because they're settle cars and not well cared for). I've seen many drivers with a4s, 5 series and Mercedes on the road (I always thought they'd be too expensive to buy and maintain) so may question is, is it recommended to go for the unusual ? Seen some reasonably priced models online with good service history, any advise welcome, cheers

Post subject: Re: The cars of luxury
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:25 pm 

Depends on what the bulk of your work is.
If you do lots of long distance motorway work electric is no good, pottering round town doing short jobs or Saturday night drunks a big luxury cruiser aint worth it.

Electric/hybrid is the way to go now if it's short round town work you do. Electric if you have the time and means for charging, if not definately consider hybrid. They cost more initially but the running, servicing and maintenance costs make them cheaper in the long run.
Skodas are good all rounders, happy round town and good on the motorway, and reliable. But rising prices put them in the same bracket as other makes in the sector.

Mondeos are the old favourite, good car, well specced. But the purchase price and ongoing maintenance costs make them quite expensive to keep on the road now (£300 every six months just to change the cambelts), and just about every repair is a 'strip down the entire engine bay just to undo a bolt' full day garage job.

Don't get an Insignia, you'll regret it. Stay away from anything French.

I'll make it easy for you, buy an Auris hybrid or Skoda Octavia/Rapide/Superb.
If you can, get a Tesla.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:19 pm 

My hotel parking bay the last 3 days

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:20 pm 

sasha wrote:

Mondeos are the old favourite, good car, well specced. But the purchase price and ongoing maintenance costs make them quite expensive to keep on the road now (£300 every six months just to change the cambelts)

2 cambelts a year?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:39 pm 

Get a good used Skoda Superb estate, more rear passenger Leg room than a Merc E-class and a boot you could Stick a Chest freezer in..it' cavernous, reliable and cheap to maintain at main dealerships.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:08 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
sasha wrote:

Mondeos are the old favourite, good car, well specced. But the purchase price and ongoing maintenance costs make them quite expensive to keep on the road now (£300 every six months just to change the cambelts)

2 cambelts a year?
There's three belts that need changing on some variants ! The recommended change for one of them was at 20k, but because of the labour involved stripping down the engine to get to it it works out cheaper to do all three at the same time. There was a problem with belts snapping well before the 20k limit so local dealer recommends changing them at around 12k, around six months if theres two drivers on a car.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:51 am 

sasha wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
sasha wrote:

2 cambelts a year?
There's three belts that need changing on some variants ! The recommended change for one of them was at 20k, but because of the labour involved stripping down the engine to get to it it works out cheaper to do all three at the same time. There was a problem with belts snapping well before the 20k limit so local dealer recommends changing them at around 12k, around six months if theres two drivers on a car.

belts 20,000 miles? fck that..... what car is it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:59 am 

Mondeo Mk4 diesel

Replacement intervals

Fuel Pump Drive BELT - 10 years/125,000miles.

Cambelt - 10 years/125,000miles

THERE IS NO NEED TO REPLACE THE WATER PUMP UNLESS IT FAILS, THE WATER PUMP IS DRIVEN VIA THE AUX BELT