Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: warning light
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:10 pm 

Hi all
Anybody ever had this problem on E7 taxi before, notice coming up on dash that tyre pressure not monitoring, any help would be grateful

Post subject: Re: warning light
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:35 pm 

taxitone wrote:
Hi all
Anybody ever had this problem on E7 taxi before, notice coming up on dash that tyre pressure not monitoring, any help would be grateful

Suspect one of the tyre sensors have gone.

Have you recently got any new tyres?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 pm 

No tyres not been changed. Just came up all of a sudden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:28 pm 

taxitone wrote:
No tyres not been changed. Just came up all of a sudden

Maybe it's a sticky brake caliper or an iffy wheel bearing, read the following on Pressure Sensors.

"Indirect TPMS works with your car’s Antilock Braking System’s (ABS) wheel speed sensors. If a tyre’s pressure is low, it will roll at a different wheel speed than the other tires. This information is detected by your car’s computer system, which triggers the dashboard indicator light."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 am 

Hi Bloodknock.
Thanks for that info. Will get it looked at.

Regards
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:52 am 

The tyre dealers have a sensor that they can check out in seconds which, if any, of the sensors are gone.

Last one I changed cost about £15 and that was from Ford.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:34 pm 

Thanks for the replies fellas. Popped into kwik fit today they used there machine to test if there was signal from sensors. 3 were fine no reading from the other.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:03 pm 

I’m a little OCD about my cab (as anyone who knows me will testify to!) I like my tyre pressures to be spot on. On my Vito the TPMS reads in KPA not PSI. It works out at 310 in the front and 330 in the rear, they are so sensitive it takes me about 7 or 8 attempts to get it spot on !! It’s a good job I’ve got my own compressor. Incidentally, Shell garages are now charging £2 for air, I complained at my local forecourt and the manager blamed inflation! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:25 pm 

taxitone wrote:
Thanks for the replies fellas. Popped into kwik fit today they used there machine to test if there was signal from sensors. 3 were fine no reading from the other.

Problem solved.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:32 pm 

x-ray wrote:
I’m a little OCD about my cab (as anyone who knows me will testify to!) I like my tyre pressures to be spot on. On my Vito the TPMS reads in KPA not PSI. It works out at 310 in the front and 330 in the rear, they are so sensitive it takes me about 7 or 8 attempts to get it spot on !! It’s a good job I’ve got my own compressor. Incidentally, Shell garages are now charging £2 for air, I complained at my local forecourt and the manager blamed inflation! :lol:

Haha, didn't get the joke first time I read it :oops:

Not sure how much our Shell is now - last time I used them it was 50p, but Morrison's was only 20p, so guess which one I used? May be higher now - that was a few months ago, maybe last year.

I try not to get too fussed over my pressures - on my Passat estate the rears should vary between 32 and 44 psi depending on how loaded the car is, so obviously with a taxi you have to pick a happy medium, so I try not to get too obsessed.

I've got the *indirect* TPMS, so it just measures the revolutions of the wheel rather than measuring the pressure directly, so if the tyre loses air it will change how often it revolves and shows the warning light. Mine very occassionaly comes on for no apparent reason, and it's just a question of resetting it. It could be that as the tyres slowly wear and their circumference decreases then the system will detect that and think it's lost air. Or it's maybe just losing tiny amounts of air over time and it's nothing to worry about (although I'm not quite sure how much air has to be lost to show the warning light - I think it's actually a few pounds rather than maybe one or two pounds, or so).

It's a bit like the tyre wear causing the taxi meter to read slightly different because it changes how often the wheels turn :-s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:49 am 

Quote:
Not sure how much our Shell is now - last time I used them it was 50p, but Morrison's was only 20p, so guess which one I used? May be higher now - that was a few months ago, maybe last year.

In fact you can still get a blow of air here at our Morrison's filling station for 10p :-o

That only gives you a minute, though, but if you take the dust cap off before you put the coin in etc then you get enough time to do one tyre if that's all that's required =D>