Post subject: Fair trading?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:36 am 
Click here to read the story:

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/unlicensed.htm

Post your views below!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:32 am 

Fair trading hmmmmmmmmm. :(

So that includes having to compete with unlicensed and un-checked ambulance cars, stretch limos, restaurant cars, pedithings and all those others who must be over the moon that the OFT and the government have yet again decided that a blind eye should be turned. :roll:

But hey, they must make sure that we have our fire-extinguishers. :(

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:04 am 

Alex I agree, but I say that fair trading means that I can pick up off the street or via the ranks.

To me that's fair to all, not just the selected few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:03 am 

I know that it's an old chestnut, but neither was 'cross-border hiring' addressed in the OFT report.

Now I suspect that most of us don't mind a bit of competition, but lets have it on equal terms.

If you have one borough that will allow rubbish conditions, how will another boroughs vehicles compete if they have stiff conditions?

Perhaps instead of running away from national conditions, we could have had, or maybe get some proper guidelines from the DfT.

Or is that wishful thinking?

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:51 pm 

I think it is mentioned Alex, but like so many of the important issues it's not really addressed in great depth, or is confined to some footnote or other - there are little things hidden away that most of us would probably regard as worth highlighting, but presumably the OFT thought differently.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:30 am 
eeeh! ive missed that avatar!!

old chum

chuckle chuckle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:42 am 

Yes Alan, good one, isn't it?

And it was you that found it!!

Dusty :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:23 am 
CITY TO DEMAND TIGHTER LICENSING OF HIRE VEHICLES

A legal loophole which has allowed stretch limos and vehicles used for airport transfer services to operate in Dundee by the local authority is to be closed.

The city's licensing committee argreed yesterday to require the vehicles to be licensed as private hire cars.

Existing operators and drivers have been given until November 30 to submit applications for licenses or face possible prosecution.

In a report to councillors, depute chief executive (support services) Patricia McIlquham said that there had been a proliferation in the availability of stretch limosines and vehicles carrying out airport transfer services in Dundee in the last few years.

"Both of these categories of vehicles are becoming and increasingly popular mode of transport for journeys on special occassions, holiday, and so on," she said.

"Where these vehicles carry more than eight passengers they are classed as public service vehicles and subject to regulation by agencies of the Department for Transport."

Vehicles which carry up to eight people are not subject to that regulation, but , Ms McIlquham sadi, may fall within the definition of private hire car.

Where a private hire car is used exclusive for weddings, funerals or a contract hire of at least 24 hours, there is no requirement for a license. However, if the vehicle is also used for other purposes, a private hire car license is required.

License applications must be submitted to the council in whose area the vehicle is operated, meaning where the office or other facility for taking bookings is based.

Ms McIlquham said the definition of a hire car applies to "a motor vehicle with a driver, which is, with a view to profit, available for hire by the public for personal conveyance."

She said it was the view of the police and herself that stretch limonsines and airport transfer services , except where exemption applied, fall within that definition and should be licensed as private hire cars.

As well as the operators, the drivers of the vehicles will have to be licensed. Only the holders of taxi driver's or private hire car driver's licenses will be allowed to drive them.

Ms McIlquham said applications would be considered by the licensing committee in the usual way and the vehicles would need to be examined by the council's plant and vehicle section to assess their suitability and fitness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:32 am 

I'm really starting to like Dundee council. :D

Firstly they de-limit, then they ban a car that has loads of faults, and now they are sorting out limos and un-licensed cars.

Now why can't more councils take notice and follow suit? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:42 pm 
the question i would like answered is why all this action now when for the last 15 years they have sat back and done nothing ,all the new wavs are now able to pick up taxicard users who are wheelchair bound this came into effect on wed the customer must have two cards on them their taxicard and a wheelchair card, my cab which is now double shifted has not had any wheelchair users this week but hopefully one will give me the oppertunity to fill out the first page in my new taxicard book over the weekend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:59 pm 
scot wrote:
the question i would like answered is why all this action now when for the last 15 years they have sat back and done nothing ,all the new wavs are now able to pick up taxicard users who are wheelchair bound this came into effect on wed the customer must have two cards on them their taxicard and a wheelchair card, my cab which is now double shifted has not had any wheelchair users this week but hopefully one will give me the oppertunity to fill out the first page in my new taxicard book over the weekend...

Good luck young man,you will need it.
Maybe the new "fire engine"now plying for trade,is wheelchair friendly.
Another Marrs Bars enterprise.
By the way I think it conforms with health and safety issues,as I think it carries an extinguisher. :shock: :shock:

Post subject: Scot
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:03 pm 
By the way forgot to mention,I think the Fire engine has a small cage for
hamsters.
By god you will never live that posting down.
And by God I will make sure of it.

Furhe,Furhe,is a jolly good fellow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:29 pm 
scot wrote:

Just shows you Scot,Dundee Council was really desperate for the wheelchair clients to get out.
Noe there is one cab for each customer.
Good business sense.
Ostrich. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:04 pm 

If the only way Scot could get a plate was by licensing a WAV, then good luck to him.

Surely it better to license a WAV, than license f*** all?

Post subject: Unlicensed Vehicles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:17 pm 

It really is time something was done about this problem, here in Renfrewshire (Paisley & surrounding area) a quick glance at the Yellow Pages shows 17 unlicensed limo / 'executive' services including the infamous Fire engine & the latest jokes, the Ambulance limo & the US Sheriff jeep. There is even a Indian restaurant which operates a free pick up/drop off service

In a licensing area that has some of the most restrictive conditions placed on Taxi/Private Hire operators & drivers this is a scandal & the Council should be reassessing there priorities

We have to put with being told what to wear, what age our vehicles can be, what colour they can be, compulsary comprehensive insurance, no advertising, we can't even take the imposed tie off when we sit in our cars having some lunch, (I kid you not, one private hire driver was given a warning for this 'offence')

A telephone call to the Council's Licensing Officer Mr Roy Hadden (ex Police) will inform you that he knows the companies are operating outside the law (ie the exceptions provided for in the Civic Government Act 1982, weddings, funerals & contracts of more than 24 hours) but he says the DTI told him limos are not private hire ...?

According to newspaper reports in Glasgow we know have the major Gangsters moving into the limo trade, this is even more of a reason that these operators should targeted by licensing regimes & made to operate under the existing private hire legislation as per Aberdeen, Dundee & Edinburgh

Thanks