Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:50 pm 
Sussex wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
A council that ensures that cars are top notch are described as "my type of council"

A council who wishes to have fit drivers are lambasted and accused of law breaking

All drivers must pass a medical, we all know that, but asking drivers to do things against doctors advice is daft.

We all must know dozens of decent drivers that wont be able to push some of the large WAV customers up the ramps, are you really saying they should be booted out of the trade? :?

Are you saying a single taxi driver should do work that takes two fully trained ambulance drivers to do? :? :?

Are you saying that drivers that have lifts on their taxis shouldn't be licensed? :? :? :?

Sussex
why do wheelchair accessible passengers suddenly get fat when you have an argument to promote?

nobody is saying taxi drivers should do work against doctors orders thats a figment of your imagination, what is being said is they should be prevented from being asked,

comming from you of all people shows your determination to smash this trade, not to build it

as someone that has lifts on my taxis no I have not said or implied these should be banned where the hell did you get that from?

as for the ambulance question it is so stupid and without relevance, we are not carrying passengers we are wheeling them!

now lets get back to the real world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:11 am 

Yorkie wrote:
why do wheelchair accessible passengers suddenly get fat when you have an argument to promote?

No they don't, but neither do all drivers become super-heroes.
Yorkie wrote:
nobody is saying taxi drivers should do work against doctors orders thats a figment of your imagination, what is being said is they should be prevented from being asked

Well you are saying they should, if the alternative is retirement.
Yorkie wrote:
as someone that has lifts on my taxis no I have not said or implied these should be banned where the hell did you get that from?

Your point was that drivers who couldn't push large WAV customers up a ramp, shouldn't be licensed. I then said what if they had a hydraulic lift, would you still ban them.
Yorkie wrote:
as for the ambulance question it is so stupid and without relevance, we are not carrying passengers we are wheeling them!

This is the most valid point. If the NHS insists that two trained staff are needed to LOAD a WAV customer, then surely insisting that a single driver does likewise is pure folly.
Yorkie wrote:
now lets get back to the real world.

If only. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:13 am 
no I am sorry Sussex you go on about the heath service and comparing us to them I am not putting up with this [edited by admin] there is no comparison and if you are too thick to see the diference I must say we will have to disagree on that point.

you are beginning to get wholy mixed up between postings you can answer on this site, with postings you dare not answer on another site

and the postings you are deleting of mine, are also being answered but nobody can see them

so the debate is a right [edited by admin] mess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:16 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
TDO wrote:
To clarify Alex's post above, please note that the DDA provisions to which he refers have not been implemented yet, and thus impose no legal obligations on LAs.

Thus as far as the DDA is concerned there would be nothing to stop Bristol going ahead with the current proposal, but assuming the DDA is implemented as in Alex's post then they would then have to reverse their rule.

To that extent Bristol's proposal lacks logic, even if there is merit in it.

sorry but that is not so.
if you believe that a local authority have no duty to ensure drivers are not fit you are not even living on this planet.

A council that ensures that cars are top notch are described as "my type of council"

A council who wishes to have fit drivers are lambasted and accused of law breaking

doesnt make sense.

Eh?

The post said that the Bristol proposal has 'some merit'.

It also states as a fact that once the DDA is implemented then Bristol will be in breach of the law if they go ahead with their proposal.

That's a statement of fact, not an opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:49 am 
dundee is one of the new wave only brigade, it has already produced many wheelchair job dodgers, one very recently explained to a customer on the main dundee rank i dont have ramps, unlukily for him the cutomer phoned handys and took his plate number which was granted two months later than mine which means he must have ramps, i dont jump for joy when im given a wheelchair job but they must be covered and with only one a month if you are lucky there is not too much a problem, the main problem ive encountered is usually with carers, there is a home on hillbank in dundee which most cabbies try to avoid if its raining the carers
will appear at the door with the customer about 45 feet from the road and just wait for you , if its not raining they will walk near the cab and say there you go and turn around, one of the main customers from hillbank is a really large gent, the journey is approx 200 yards to rosebank nursing home when rosebank is reached someone is always there to asist, the last time i done this job a male carer appeared at hillbank and pushed the wheelchair untill it was aligned with the ramps great i thought some help but as soon as i got near the whelchair he was off, what makes this job worse is that the customer although unable to speak is aware of what is going on and always asks how you are and if he is causing any problems,
at the moment dundee is operate a wav if you want a new lisence but if all wavs was implemented then it might be hard for a driver who chose to drive or operate one then try to try to be excluded from the said work,if there is an alternative ie private hire, or in dundees case hack salloons , then it might be difficult to argue why when you cant pick up wheelchairs why you should drive a wav...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:38 am 
TDO wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
TDO wrote:
To clarify Alex's post above, please note that the DDA provisions to which he refers have not been implemented yet, and thus impose no legal obligations on LAs.

Thus as far as the DDA is concerned there would be nothing to stop Bristol going ahead with the current proposal, but assuming the DDA is implemented as in Alex's post then they would then have to reverse their rule.

To that extent Bristol's proposal lacks logic, even if there is merit in it.

sorry but that is not so.
if you believe that a local authority have no duty to ensure drivers are not fit you are not even living on this planet.

doesnt make sense.

Eh?

The post said that the Bristol proposal has 'some merit'.

It also states as a fact that once the DDA is implemented then Bristol will be in breach of the law if they go ahead with their proposal.

That's a statement of fact, not an opinion.

no they wont, you make it up as you go along!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:29 am 
from a non cab personell point of view the situation is quite clear you have a choice one op who has gone to the expense of a cab desinged to cater to wheelchair customers and an operator who would rather transport the general public ,if you choose to drive the wav then you surely must adhere to the lisence conditions or whats the point in having them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:30 am 
You may be fit when you get licensed, but who pays your bills when you [edited by admin] your back up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:27 pm 
Anonymous wrote:

How do you come to that conclusion?

Please explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:34 am 
TDO wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

How do you come to that conclusion?

Please explain.

a council has the right to decide the standard of medical with or without dda.
we as a trade can do well without the swinging of the lead, which is what you are after.

I am all fir helping out with a sickie for a couple of weeks after that, either they do the job or they are incapacitated

we can do well without you saying Bristol will be out of order when they wont

Jesus christ whats the p[oint in investing in new fleets if the disabled cannot still have a cab?

you are off your rocker man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:29 am 
Again what happens when a chap does his back in pushing one of these things?
Does he get rewarded after a couple of weeks off by the sack? :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:04 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Again what happens when a chap does his back in pushing one of these things?
Does he get rewarded after a couple of weeks off by the sack? :sad:

what if what if?

what if he was more carefull?
whait if he was unfit to do the job,

what if the drivers went into the job more enthusiasticaly

fcking hell has no fcker in this trade heard if insurance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:24 pm 
if you check your insurance, you will find you are not covered for loading and unloading wheelchairs!
the passenger can make a claim against you but as for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tough luck! so why should we load and unload them then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:28 pm 
Here we go,the large man in the wheelchair,the short journey,it is pouring of rain.
The usual scenario from the so called new Wav Brigade.

Never the large man in the wheelchair giving you a twenty pound job!

You are all cynical feckers,god knows what would happen in you were unlucky enough to have someone in the family, wheelchair bound.

I hope there would be a better attitude,than what we are finding in Dundee.

Was told the lads that were doing this job prior to the opening of the trade
are still busy enough and have managed to keep their regulars.
Probably their customers know the ass----s,that are coming into the trade
are useless.
One a month,how hard worked.

JimJam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:04 pm 

The issue isn't if you can refuse a WAV customer that happens to be large, but one of refusing all WAV customers because you have a doctors certificate saying you shouldn't load them.

I'm quite sure WAV customers don't want driver's backs going when they are half way up the ramps. :shock:

However if a firm or a council insists that drivers go against their doctor's instructions, then they had best have a better legal team than Plymouth Council. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next