Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:23 pm 

http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.uk/t ... NEWS2.html

hmmmm not a word on arresting thugs who get [edited by admin] then fight?

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:51 pm 
All the police want to do is get them off the streets, and if we get grief on the way home, then so be it.
A lot has been said about marshalling lately, and I think that has a place. But if we could guarantee that the police would prosecute all the scum that has a pop at us, then I think more would drive at night.
But at the moment we really are on our own, which is why more fellow taxi/PH drivers die at work than any other trade. :sad:

Post subject: getting tooled up
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:32 pm 

i know a man who carries cs gas with pepper spray, capable of taking down anyman, he doesnt give a [edited by admin] about laws when his life is in the line,,in this day and age,,i agree...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:57 pm 
trigot,

i think the guy needs medical assistance.

regards

captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:36 am 

guest, there are cab drivers ,as you may well know, who have been hurt,,some quite terribly in trying to make their living, if you ask these guys what they would have done differently etc, then most may well say we wish we had something or words to that effect, there are drivers getting stabbed, pricked with needles, guns pointed at them, mugged late at night, i think most have a right to protect themselves, maybe the cs is taking it a bit too far, not to mention the illegality of it, however as i said before, i sympathise in trying to protect yourselves every way you can. Then their is the argument for video cameras in cars, over where we are the council at this time wont allow it, sometimes i wonder wether the councils have our welfare at heart,,,,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:03 am 
trigot wrote:
guest, there are cab drivers ,as you may well know, who have been hurt,,some quite terribly in trying to make their living, if you ask these guys what they would have done differently etc, then most may well say we wish we had something or words to that effect, there are drivers getting stabbed, pricked with needles, guns pointed at them, mugged late at night, i think most have a right to protect themselves, maybe the cs is taking it a bit too far, not to mention the illegality of it, however as i said before, i sympathise in trying to protect yourselves every way you can. Then their is the argument for video cameras in cars, over where we are the council at this time wont allow it, sometimes i wonder wether the councils have our welfare at heart,,,,,,

You're not wrong.

Post subject: Re: getting tooled up
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:09 am 
trigot wrote:
i know a man who carries cs gas with pepper spray, capable of taking down anyman, he doesnt give a [edited by admin] about laws when his life is in the line,,in this day and age,,i agree...

A PH lad down here used it when a mob had a go at him.
He spent longer in the cells than those that attacked him, but he didnt give a dam about it.
The whole trade came together to try and get him off, and in the end the police didnt take it any further.

I wonder what would have happened to him if he didnt use the spray?

Post subject: Re: getting tooled up
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:01 pm 
Cgull wrote:
trigot wrote:

A PH lad down here used it when a mob had a go at him.
He spent longer in the cells than those that attacked him, but he didnt give a dam about it.
The whole trade came together to try and get him off, and in the end the police didnt take it any further.

I wonder what would have happened to him if he didnt use the spray?

I'm glad the trade stuck by him in his time of need, I've always said that if a passenger attacks a driver in his line of work then the passenger does so at his own risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:41 pm 

the private hire firms generally speaking, up here in glasgow anyway couldnt give to [edited by admin] about drivers welfare, we know of incidents of runners and physical and verbal abuse by hires which are regulars and the ph firm doesnt even go as far as warning these hires as to their conducts towards drivers, at the end of the day we are all alone in every sense of the word when were out there,do what it takes to make yourself safe,,and try and ensure these dickheads think twice about attacking a taxi driver again !!!!!!
If the companies we drive for and the councils that regulate us dont care about our safety, then its left to us to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:17 pm 
trigot wrote:
the private hire firms generally speaking, up here in glasgow anyway couldnt give to [edited by admin] about drivers welfare, we know of incidents of runners and physical and verbal abuse by hires which are regulars and the ph firm doesnt even go as far as warning these hires as to their conducts towards drivers, at the end of the day we are all alone in every sense of the word when were out there,do what it takes to make yourself safe,,and try and ensure these dickheads think twice about attacking a taxi driver again !!!!!!
If the companies we drive for and the councils that regulate us dont care about our safety, then its left to us to do it.

Not an overly inviting trade up there it would seem.

That's the problem when the operators aren't licensed, that get away with doing nothing. Not all firms in England are good, but at least they can't get away with everything, because if they lose their license through neglecting drivers, then they can't operate.

It's about time those in that gold plated building up there did some work and sorted out the mess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:55 pm 

extremley well said !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:00 pm 

and just incase you didnt know, (which i doubt ) cs gas and or pepper spray is a firearms offence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:14 pm 

trigot wrote:

Its not the private hire companies that are the problem Trigot but its a case of who is actually responsible if someone is giving you verbal abuse, does a runner etc etc. I think that you will find that the company in question do ban customers by address, phone number and mobile phone number. Maybe you should ask them about it