Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A timely review of TDO
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:22 am 

Over the last year a number of members have asked that we have members only posting. Many have struggled to follow a thread involving a number of guests, and in all fairness they have a point.

As of yesterday everyone can view TDO as before, but if anyone wishes to post, then they will need to register.

To register is very simple, and best described on the new-look FrontPage http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/aboutforum.htm .

Finally if any registered member wishes to have an avatar, one of those pretty pictures by their name, then please e-mail me with the picture attached.

Alex

P.S. If you want a list of avatars to have a look at, then this list is a good start http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/m ... howavatars

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:47 pm 

Please note that it's not necessary to send a piccie by email - if you just email Alex on info@taxi-driver.co.uk and tell him which picture you want as your avatar, and we'll do the rest.

But you can email the piccie as well if you want!

The maximum size is currently set at 150X150 pixels, but they usually look better if they're a bit smaller, say 100X100 maximum.

The avatars on the webpage that Alex mentioned are around 80x80 so they don't need anything done to them, but if you have a bigger picture then we can probably reduce it down to an appropriate size.

But, in short, just email Alex and tell him which picture you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:22 pm 
I seem to remember critisism for another site for doing this.

Its also hard to follow an individual member called TDO when the owner and administrator post under seperate names, maybe the member using TDO should change it to avoid any confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:46 pm 

Is that Hairy Charlie?

I seem to remember the other site wanted proof of who you were before you were allowed to post.

Went along the lines of 'send me and Nidge and email saying who you are and we might let you join'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:43 pm 

good move i think on making people register before posting. it does get very confusing sometimes when you get 3 or 4 guest posters on the same thread.

how about being able to upload our own avatar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:55 pm 

Charlie the Paperlad wrote:
Its also hard to follow an individual member called TDO when the owner and administrator post under seperate names, maybe the member using TDO should change it to avoid any confusion.

I can assure you that both Alex and TDO are seperate people.

Just have a look at the times of most of their posts and you will see that one works mainly days, and the other works mainly nights. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:58 pm 

steveo wrote:
how about being able to upload our own avatar?

I tried that very unsuccessfully a number of times, but it can be done. :-k

Thankfully for me, we have both Alex and TDO. \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:45 pm 

I seem to remember critisism for another site for doing this.

Wot, allowing avatars? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:53 pm 

I think you're just getting confused Charlie, and confusing everyone else in the process.

Only one person is posting under TDO, and that person (me!!) isn't posting under any other name - does that answer your point.

But your point is a bit rich when you were posting as a guest without using a moniker, making it nigh near impossible to distinguish your posts in busy threads, which is on reason why we're now requiring registration.

But again you seem to be trying to make a mountain out of a molehill over absolutely nothing, which is certainly a well-worn technique, but lost credibility ages ago, assuming it ever had any. (don't take that as a personal slur Charlie, since I realise that you may not have been here very long!).

But you're a welcome addition to the site, particularly since you ably demonstrate our democratic/pluralist/free-speech credentials =D>