Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:54 pm 

THIS is the latest dirty money laundering venture by Scotland's No.1 Crime Inc family - American stretch limousines.

This white customised monster belongs to Ronnie Daniel - at 44, the youngest of Scotland's richest crime clan.

Organised criminals have so far laundered their money through 'legitimate' businesses such as taxis, cars washes, tanning parlours and security firms. But a Sunday Mail investigation has revealed that Ronnie Daniel is cashing in on the champagne limo boom.

Dozens of companies offer trips with bubbly in the swanky, chauffeur-driven cars and they have become a regular feature in Scotland's towns for school parties, stag andhen nights.

Now politicians and police have warned that the industry has become the latest playground of criminals.

MSP Sandra White said she was 'shocked and amazed' to learn there were virtually no controls over the industry.

She added: 'It is very worrying. My own daughter and her pals have been in one of these limos but I assumed the cars and their drivers were licensed like taxis.

'I'll be putting a couple of questions to the Parliament on the back of the Sunday Mail's article.' Ronnie, one of the six notorious Daniel brothers, hires out limos for pounds 140 an hour from The Forge MOT station in Glasgow's East End.

He owns a customised white limo, a new pounds 50,000 black Ford Lincoln and plans to amass a fleet of 25 .

Daniel is just one of number of organised criminals moving into this lucrative market.

Many death-trap cars are exported to the UK after being banned in the United States.

Now police are pushing for laws to license operators in an industry with few regulations.

Strathclyde Police recently acted to stop a registered sex offender driving young girls on party and hen nights in Renfrewshire.

Many firms a use a legal loophole to supply booze without a licence, claiming the drinks are free.

They also break the law by allowing extra passengers, which makes their insurance cover worthless.

Last week, a Sunday Mail investigator, posing as a customer, called Ronnie Daniel.

He told us he wanted to be paid in cash and would take more than the eight people the limo could carry.

Ronnie is a member of one of Scotland's most successful, ruthless yet secretive gangs.

The brothers are headed by drug dealer Jamie, 46, and include jailed smuggler Dougie, 56 and cop killer William, 54. The others are David, 52, and Norman, 51.

Daniel boasted: 'If I get stopped by the police, I'm only insured to carry eight but, if I'm doing it like a friend thing, I can carry 10.

'If you square me up cash, we can do it that way.'

But even legitimate companies are often prepared to break the law.

Firms in Ayrshire, Lanarkshire, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen said they would provide alcohol for a group of at least eight girls, including 17-year-olds.

Two also said they would be willing to take more than eight passengers and one of them would even allow 12.

A source said: 'As with all money laundering operations, the crooks have no shortage of people willing to front them.'

Last year, police seized pounds 76,090 in cash from Terence Carvell and David Cassells, who is linked to crime boss Tam 'The Licensee' McGraw, after their car was stopped near Hamilton.

Cassells claimed the money was being used to buy three limos. The 45-year-old successfully argued that pounds 26,090 was from his dead brother and it was returned.

Mortgage broker Carvell, from Milton Keynes, admitted the pounds 50,000 was his from evading income tax.

A Scottish Executive document said: 'It is believed the cash was the proceeds of drug trafficking.'

Local authorities are realising that many of the limos on Scotland's roads are potential death-traps.

So far, only Edinburgh City Council is taking action, with plans for operators to apply for a private hire taxi licence. But Superintendent George Clelland, licensing chief at Strathclyde Police, believes all councils should follow Edinburgh's lead.

The Scottish Executive say the issue will be subject to a public consultation - almost their 900th such exercise in five years.

A spokesman said: 'We would condemn any unscrupulous or unsafe businesses providing stretch limousines.

'We would urge anyone with any knowledge of such activities to report it to the authorities.'

McGovern private hire firm targets Edinburgh

AMAJOR Glasgow taxi firm linked to organised crime is targeting the lucrative Edinburgh market.

McGovern-family controlled Network Private Hire bought Queensferry Radio Cabs in Kirkliston, West Lothian, last month. Kenny MacAskill MSP said: 'We must ensure that trade in the East remains honest and reliable.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:31 pm 

Stretch limos/money laundering are words that go hand in hand with dangerous and death-traps. :sad: :sad:

One day they will get sorted out, but I wonder how many people will have to die for that to happen? :sad: :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:27 pm 

Christ Dundonian,getting worried about you,knowing all these "Business
Men",are you sure your not fronting for them in Dundee.
Be better putting your name and address on your postings,SO THEY
COULD TELL YOU MORE ABOUT THE BUSINESS.
Also they can measure you up for your CONCRETE OVERCOAT.

Just as well allegedly there are no crooks in the taxi trade in your neck of the woods.????????????????????? 8) :-({|=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:36 pm 

:wink: 8) :) :D :lol: :D \:D/ :lol: :-$

I come from Dundee, although I work for my sins in London.

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:40 pm 

Eric,say no more. :-#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:33 pm 

paul wrote:
Christ Dundonian,getting worried about you,knowing all these "Business
Men",are you sure your not fronting for them in Dundee.
Be better putting your name and address on your postings,SO THEY
COULD TELL YOU MORE ABOUT THE BUSINESS.
Also they can measure you up for your CONCRETE OVERCOAT.

Just as well allegedly there are no crooks in the taxi trade in your neck of the woods.????????????????????? 8) :-({|=

Nothing to do with me mate, I just found the story in the Sunday Mail. :badgrin:

Don't know what you mean about the Dundee trade, it's whiter than white :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:46 pm 

Trade in your neck of the woods has always been honest,all offices and the operators and drivers,the earth of the salt. ](*,)