All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:04 pm 

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/publ ... 6247.shtml

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:05 pm 

Move to ban ageing taxis

Proposals to ban ageing taxis from the streets of Shrewsbury in a bid to cut air pollution could force more than a quarter of the town's fleet off the road.

Environmental health bosses have submitted a report to borough councillors recommending they impose a condition that taxis only operate until they are 10 years old, reducing year-on-year to five years.

If the plans are accepted it means that a quarter of Shrewsbury's taxis - totalling 43 vehicles - will be banned from the road by the beginning of 2006.

Only a third of the current fleet of taxis licensed in the town are under five years old and Robbie Bruce, spokesman for the Hackney Carriages Owners' Association, said the plans could end up costing customers more money.

Mr Bruce said the 10 year limit was likely to disappoint many taxi owners who would expect to get more than 10 years of service from an expensive investment.

"These new London-style taxis are normally about £30,000 to buy and their lifespan is 20 years," he said.

The report on a revision of taxi licensing, by environmental health manager David Wraith, will be considered by members of Shrewsbury and Atcham Borough Council's licensing and safety committee on Thursday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:08 pm 

Quote:
Only a third of the current fleet of taxis licensed in the town are under five years old and Robbie Bruce, spokesman for the Hackney Carriages Owners' Association, said the plans could end up costing customers more money.

So the TOA can now do fare increases?

and 1/3rd of currently licensed cabs are sheds?

regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:20 am 

Lifespan of 20 years!!

On the other hand, if it's purpose built taxis they have to use then the 5 year limit would be one of the lowest, if not thelowest, in the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:34 pm 

TDO wrote:
On the other hand, if it's purpose built taxis they have to use then the 5 year limit would be one of the lowest, if not thelowest, in the country.

If they have to get rid of the motors after 5 years, I've no doubt that they will have a queue of shed buyers from many other councils. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:19 am 
and I thought we were looking to get rid of unfair restrictions.

Surely if the vehicle passes its test then it is fit for use .................... to exchange vehicles every 5 years will see no-one owning their vehicles as I'm sure the trade-in value of vehicles licensed in this area will reflect the fact that they have to replace the vehicle they are looking to trade-in.

The argument offered is that if a person fulfills the criteria he should be given a HC licence ................. it must surely follow that if a vehicle was of a standard which complied with the law that should also receive a licence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:50 am 

Charlie the Paperlad wrote:

Surely if the vehicle passes its test then it is fit for use .................... to exchange vehicles every 5 years will see no-one owning their vehicles as I'm sure the trade-in value of vehicles licensed in this area will reflect the fact that they have to replace the vehicle they are looking to trade-in.

The argument offered is that if a person fulfills the criteria he should be given a HC licence ................. it must surely follow that if a vehicle was of a standard which complied with the law that should also receive a licence.

Some councils have a way round the five years,the testing comes down to 6 month period when the vehicle reaches a certain age,then 3 monthly period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:25 pm 
In Bolsover you can plate anything as long as it's got 4 wheels, a PH operator in Mansfield takes his old cars over to Bolsover sprays them red and white and gets a plate on them, he took an old N reg Mondeo over a few weeks ago and got it plated HC the test over there leaves alot to be desired, pay the LO and he'll drop a plate on it without having a test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:13 pm 

Quote:
Charlie the Paperlad Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:19 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think your right to a certain degree, however, if we are to have unlimited availability of licenses, then surely a senisble LA will ensure that people entering the job invest accordingly.

Quote:
paul Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some councils have a way round the five years,the testing comes down to 6 month period when the vehicle reaches a certain age,then 3 monthly period.

Your right Paul, a decent LA will treat every vehicle upon reaching the age limit on its merits, if its a shed they should take it off the road, if its been looked after give it a 6 month extension.

regards

Captain Cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:47 pm 

And I thought that local councils were the best folk to decide things. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:25 pm 
Sussex wrote:

And I thought that local councils were the best folk to decide things. :shock:

Touché,

Councils do get it wrong though ................ I mean just look at all the councils deciding policies because of a reluctance to invest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:46 pm 

Old taxis ban is put on hold

Controversial plans to ban old taxis from the streets of Shrewsbury in a bid to cut air pollution have been deferred for more talks. The proposals could force more than a quarter of the taxi fleet off the road.

They were looked at during today's borough licensing and safety committee.

Environmental health bosses submitted a report to borough councillors recommending they impose a condition that taxis only operate until they are 10 years old - reducing year-on-year to five years.

If the plans are accepted, a quarter of Shrewsbury's taxis, totalling 43 vehicles, will be banned from the road by the beginning of 2006.

Only a third of the current fleet of taxis licensed in the town are under five years old and Robbie Bruce, spokesman for the Hackney Carriages Owners' Association, said the plans could end up costing customers more.

The licensing committee was due to put forward its views at today's meeting, but chairman Councillor Judith Williams, said they will now be discussed at a later date.

She said: "I propose that this matter be deferred until adequate consultation has been made with the appropriate bodies."

Councillor Williams added that environmental bosses should also be looking at other vehicles which cause pollution.

updated story

regards

Captain cab