Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: new motor time
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:37 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
I dont think your manor will be getting a visit from the pope any day soon, :lol: :lol: but they are well known as pope mobiles around here, and folk shu away from them

have to admit I did laugh when I first saw them being used for Ph round here, then I had one on hire for 8 weeks and absolutely fell in love with them :)

brilliant little things, spot on for what its doing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 pm 

Foxtrot26 wrote:
skippy41 wrote:
I dont think your manor will be getting a visit from the pope any day soon, :lol: :lol: but they are well known as pope mobiles around here, and folk shu away from them

have to admit I did laugh when I first saw them being used for Ph round here, then I had one on hire for 8 weeks and absolutely fell in love with them :)

brilliant little things, spot on for what its doing
a few up here on as privates and only one as far as iv'e seen as a general but my council had a meeting in December about letting them on as wav's but didn't pass it cause they can't load from the side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 pm 

Collecting mine on Wednesday, insurance sorted £15 admin fee, strait to Edinburgh com cab for meter fitting , then down to Selkirk for taxi test, and finally to the Ivory towers to pay £182 for a years licence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Collecting mine on Wednesday, insurance sorted £15 admin fee, strait to Edinburgh com cab for meter fitting , then down to Selkirk for taxi test, and finally to the Ivory towers to pay £182 for a years licence.

Are you going to pay the full £182 or ask for a discount? :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:40 pm 

skippy41 wrote:

you will not be disappointed, i thought when driving to the garage "will it be as good as the octavia,will it's engine be as strong" when the guy brought it round from the back i was sitting in my octavia with all the meter radio stuff when he brought it round i was amazed with how nice it was but looked back at the octavia thinking "thats the last time i'l ever see it" but the superb is still impressing with 1934 miles now on it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 am 

Well just got back in after driving in up to 6 inches of snow, bloody white out at times, but the old faithful got me home up 3 hills once again without problems, going to miss the Octy when she goes on Wednesday.
She has only done 227,000 miles :sad: :sad: :sad:

Mind you being a tight wad, if this snow keeps up I will be borrowing the snow tyres of SWMBO mark 1 superb :D :D :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:40 pm 

Yep the superb has more sway in it due to it being longer my first hire this morning down to Cleland :sad: have to go up the massive bray to get there luckily it had been grited and was quite clean, got to the street quite icy but just managed to get up it had to turn the ASR off as it cuts in too much and takes all the power away, Got the hire drove down the hill 5 MPH or there about's press the brakes and nothing, PANIC!press it right down and can feel the ABS pumping the brakes on and off, and managed to stop before the junction, my octavia laughed at steep icy hills and through out my 5 years of ownership of it only got bogged down 4 times, but the winter of 2010 was unforgettable i have never seen as many abandoned cars in all my days i had a school contract from Wishaw to Hamilton and took me 11 hours to do it, and when i got there to pick the boy up they decided to keep them in the school but there phones were down so couldn't get to me , so had to drive all the way back and at the swinsy bray in cleland got stuck there at 2 in the morning, cars were parked all the way right up the bridge, and i took a run at it but the cars wheels just spun and kept moving from side to side neerly hitting already abandoned cars so just parked it up on the pavement on the bridge and had to walk all the way up the hill about a 5 minute walk to my house but the temp was -10c, and managed to dig the car out the next morning and it was the most hectic night of my life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 am 

Just put it in first and let it go down itself, try to keep the feet off the peddles.
Try going down all the steepest hills when its dry then you will know how fast the car goes on its own in first

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:25 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Just put it in first and let it go down itself, try to keep the feet off the peddles.
Try going down all the steepest hills when its dry then you will know how fast the car goes on its own in first

Ok will try using that when out tomorrow, did you get your superb and if so did the meter get fitted okay? ETC what is your first impressions :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:46 pm 

My new wheels the meter was fitted above the centre vents

And already returning just under 50 MPG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:07 pm 

looks great, when is it's first shift? did the meter get fitted okay, no glitches? thought the meter was going up and the interior lights? but the way you have it is the best in my opinions mine has a similar setup Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:11 pm 

United Taxis 11 wrote:
looks great, when is it's first shift? did the meter get fitted okay, no glitches? thought the meter was going up and the interior lights? but the way you have it is the best in my opinions mine has a similar setup Image

Why do they put meters over the vents? Surely they can make a bracket to slot under the vent plastic where it meets the dashboard?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:21 pm 

i never use my air vents, only the feet heater and window blower and it is pretty much my only option. if it went any lower it would not let me see the radio screen and any higher would protrude into my vision of the road, so where it is makes my happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 pm 

And on another note i was watching central car auctions where my octavia was getting sold, looked every day and today it was gone so hopefully its new owner will look after it and will probably be put on as another taxi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 pm 

comcab had some brackets that fitted just above the vents so they are clear, only took them 25 mins to fit and calibrated, £114 all in ouch