Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:35 am 

Journalist seems to think £5,000 for a Skoda Rapid with 400,000 on the clock is a good deal because you can save £2,000 on a 30,000 miler and put it towards any repairs :roll:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4957721 ... 0-on-ebay/

HIGH MILE CLUB: This Skoda Rapid has racked up 400,000 miles in just TWO YEARS – but it’s still worth £5,000 on eBay

HUNTING through the classifieds is a treat for any petrolhead, trying to unearth a potential gem.

And more often than not it'll throw up some barely believable motors up for sale.

If you're serious about buying you'll often steer clear of anything with a fairly high mileage - around 100,000 is usually a turn off for most.

So would you be tempted by this Skoda - up for sale on eBay?

On first glance, the 2015 Rapid with its 1.6-litre diesel seems fairly run of the mill priced at £4,995.

It's in good condition and is listed with a full service history and one owner - but it's done a staggering 409,000 miles in just two years.

The advert claims it's not been a taxi or hire car but has been used by Park's of Hamilton coaches to ferry drivers around.

The Scottish coach firm say it's been "fully maintained regardless of cost" and has been driven heavily on motorways - and would make the perfect cab.

It might just be one the youngest, highest mileage cars of in the UK with cars often taking years to rack up such a total - if they don't find the scrapheap first.

You shouldn't necessarily be put off by high mileage motors, either, as cars are tested to extremes meaning they're prepared to go the distance.

Plus, they offer an absolute bargain to buyers on a shoestring.

A Rapid of this age with "regular" mileage of around 30,000 would set you back around £7,000, according to Auto Trader listings.

Buy this high mileage ride and you can save £2,000 and put it towards any repairs that might crop up.

It could be a great bit of business.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:51 pm 

409,000 miles in 2yrs ? By my calculations that's 560 miles a day everyday ???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:17 pm 

x-ray wrote:
409,000 miles in 2yrs ? By my calculations that's 560 miles a day everyday ???

And every bit of the Car has done that not just the engine...it'll be more worn than my Aunty Jean's wallies..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:47 pm 

as it hasnt had an MOT yet........... clock it back to 30,000

sell it quick

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

sell it quick

Frankly amazed that hasn't happened. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:14 pm 

Years ago, my brother had a white Vauxhall cavalier on private hire, he bought it with 100,000 on the clock at two years old. He sold it a 5 years later with 300,000 on it to another driver who dabbles in the trade. It was mint condition and you would never have believed the mileage. The new owner "clocked" to 130,000 and sold it straight away to another trader. 2 weeks later it appeared on Autotrader with 90,000 on the clock with full service history!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:22 am 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

sell it quick

Frankly amazed that hasn't happened. :shock:

Operator runs 400 coaches and dozens of car dealerships, so probably not worth the effort.

Can't see how those dealing with the car on a day to day basis would benefit financially, and those at top of the food chain would need to involve lots of people to keep it quiet - car probably has a shedload of different drivers for a start.

If word got out then Traffic Commissioner probably wouldn't be too happy, even if they only got a paltry fine in court, say.

And press would be all over such a story like a rash, particularly since operator probably best known to public as supplying coach services to Premier League football clubs etc.

And even to increase the car's value by a grand or two would probably mean a whopping great chunk off the mileage - even taking 100,000 off and showing 300,000 wouldn't increase its value a great deal.

So all in all, probably just not worth the effort.

It's the price they are asking I just can't understand, not to mention the journalist seeming to think it would be a good buy. At £2k maybe, but not £5k :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:53 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Years ago, my brother had a white Vauxhall cavalier on private hire, he bought it with 100,000 on the clock at two years old. He sold it a 5 years later with 300,000 on it to another driver who dabbles in the trade. It was mint condition and you would never have believed the mileage. The new owner "clocked" to 130,000 and sold it straight away to another trader. 2 weeks later it appeared on Autotrader with 90,000 on the clock with full service history!

my mate was doing a jag about 20 years ago, took the clocks out and found a hand written note

"oh no, not again!"