Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:11 pm 

Cabhappy wrote:
Quote:
So what were the deficiencies in the application process that weren't evident in preceding years? Why didn't the MSP highlight those deficiencies when the Scottish Parliament was proposing new legislation, and the MSP chaired a committee investigating taxi and PH licensing?

The deficiences were the actions of the Council Officers, perhaps not recognising the nature of the beast Uber, and perhaps acting loose would their delegated powers.

So what precisely were the deficiencies in Uber's application that didn't apply previously? The MSP certainly didn't outline any *specific* deficiencies. Uber's start-up in Aberdeen has been on the cards and well-publicised for some time now, so it's not as if officials, councillors and the trade weren't aware of it. Maybe it's because Uber has been operating in Edinburgh and Glasgow for a year or two now under the same legislation that there were no obvious grounds for challenging the Aberdeen application, so MSP Kevin Stewart had to resort to little more than politicking?

And his sidekick Kirsty Blackman, who is the SNP's deputy leader in the House of Commons, was Aberdeen's licensing convenor for several years while the current legislation was in place, so why didn't she highlight any deficiencies for the Scottish Parliament to deal with when Kevin Stewart chaired the committee overseeing the licensing review?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:12 pm 

StuartW wrote:
But I can’t see why Uber’s core business model can’t be profitable. I mean, if a fleet of 30, 300 or 3,000 private hire cars can be profitable on a long-term basis, then why can’t Uber’s 30,000 in London? So Uber has 30,000 cars on its books, and many of them will be paying £200+ in commission per week. And I’ll bet that office staff numbers required for 30,000 drivers is miniscule compared to the traditional private hire/minicab trade.

My mate Hubert takes the view that to get or keep work they have to subsidise fares to a large extent, and when that changes as it's continual loses can't be sustained, then that's when it will lose punters and/or drivers.

Hubert says that Uber can only win big in a unlicensed situation and/or a monopoly situation. Neither of them will happen in our life time, and far from wiping out the competition Uber are actually drawing more app firms into the trade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:14 pm 

Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:
Life’s too short to read Mr Horan’s several hundred pages on Uber,

What's that say about me, cos I've read it? :D

Not sure whether that's grounds for admiration =D> or pity ](*,)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 pm 

Sussex wrote:
My mate Hubert takes the view that to get or keep work they have to subsidise fares to a large extent, and when that changes as it's continual loses can't be sustained, then that's when it will lose punters and/or drivers.

Hubert says that Uber can only win big in a unlicensed situation and/or a monopoly situation. Neither of them will happen in our life time, and far from wiping out the competition Uber are actually drawing more app firms into the trade.

He would certainly have a case if Uber was permanently subsiding fares, but I'm sure that's not the case. And I'm not even sure if Uber is as cheap as is often made out anyway - often comparisons are between Uber and black cabs in London, so it's not really the most valid comparison to make. And then there's Uber's surge pricing...

Of course, even considering the USA there's so many different scenarios that's it's impossible to compare them all, and their licensing over there makes our own mess look quite uniform and straightforward. I mean, in some US cities I think taxis are tightly controlled numbers-wise, and no private hire sector is allowed, so it's a completely different scenario to the market here. And as for what happens in countries like India, China and Brazil...

Anyway, now I've got Mr Horan's name sorted out, have you noticed how his first name contains the word Uber??

H-uber-t

Spooky. I smell a rat... 8-[

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Spooky. I smell a rat... 8-[

Suggest you get a cat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 pm 

Cabhappy wrote:
BtW it was made clear that the Scottish Parliament were not proposing new legislation as such, and I tend to agree what we have is adequate.
The aim of the consultation and subsequent committee investigation was I believe to improve best practice guidance and consistency across the country. Sadly this has not transpired.

I hadn't realised that the Scottish Government had a consultation on the "Impact of Modern Technology" on taxi and PH licensing.

https://consult.gov.scot/licensing-unit ... echnology/

Read section 12 of the Scottish Taxi Federation's response here. I'm sure no one will ever guess the name of the company that's been redacted :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

https://consult.gov.scot/licensing-unit ... =539240907

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Read section 12 of the Scottish Taxi Federation's response here. I'm sure no one will ever guess the name of the company that's been redacted :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

https://consult.gov.scot/licensing-unit ... =539240907

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:55 pm 

Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:
Life’s too short to read Mr Huber’s several hundred pages on Uber,

What's that say about me, cos I've read it? :D

Time on your hands put to good use.