Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:22 am 

They certainly seem to be pulling out the stops here.

Not clear if it's significant, but the statements from members of the public here seem to suggest it happened quite close to where the driver lives :?

Walker community's shock over alleged attack on taxi driver as two people arrested

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... d-23581435

Part of Alston Avenue cordoned off together after early morning incident

Image: Craig Connor/ChronicleLive

A shock alleged attack on a taxi driver has left a community appalled.

Emergency services were called to Alston Avenue in Walker, Newcastle, during the early hours of Sunday morning following the incident, which happened at around 2.20am, and a man was taken to hospital.

A stretch of the street was cordoned off by police tape as a forensics officer got to work. Northumbria Police has now confirmed it is investigating a serious assault on a 57-year-old taxi driver, and two people have been arrested.

A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: "Shortly after 2.20am yesterday, we received a report of an assault on Alston Avenue, Walker.

“It was reported a 57-year-old male taxi driver had been assaulted sustaining serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

“A 37-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault. A 29-year-old woman has also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender. Both have since been released under investigation."

Yesterday police could be seen searching a home within the cordon, which had a private hire taxi parked outside.

Neighbours told the Chronicle they had heard a taxi driver had been assaulted.

And one man, who says he believes the alleged victim lives near him in Longbenton, said he was horrified.

The passer-by, who asked not to be named, said he recognised the taxi's registration plate.

He said: "Poor taxi driver, he's probably just been doing his job.

"I was just passing and I recognised the registration plate. I think he lives along the street from me."

Residents came out their homes to watch the police activity in the morning.

A number of uniformed officers were inside one home, while a single forensics officer placed numbered evidence markers in the road.

She also photographed an area outside the house and a car that was parked outside.

The officer could also be seen taking items off the road and putting them in small see-through bags.

One man, who asked not to be named, said he had heard there had been an assault on a taxi driver.

He said: "We didn't hear anything last night then we saw all this this morning. Everybody is just saying a taxi driver has been attacked. . It's horrible, poor bloke."

“I have got one kid, so it’s not nice to have this around.”

Another woman, who asked not to be named, said she was woken by the sound of shouting at around 2am and witnessed the attack take place.

She said: "I heard shouting so I got up. It was frightening to see. We have got three daughters. It’s horrible.”

Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, added: “As far as we know someone was attacked last night. We have just heard it through the grapevine.

"It was a shock to see all the police this morning. It was like this this morning when I woke up.

And Diane Duffy, 55, who lives nearby said: “I was asleep when it happened. It was a surprise seeing all this when I woke up."

A spokesman for the North East Ambulance Service confirmed that paramedics had taken a man to hospital.

He said: "We were called by the police at 2.28am this morning to attend outside an address in Newcastle.

"We dispatched one paramedic crew and treated one patient for head and upper body injuries before taking them to hospital."

Police are appealing for witnesses.

The spokeswoman added: "“Enquiries remain ongoing and anyone with any information is asked to contact officers."

Call Northumbria Police on 101 quoting reference number NP-20220403-0122 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:33 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
they appear to be approaching this the same way they would a murder :-k

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:42 am 

Probably another angle to it that's not obvious from the Chronicle's report :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:21 pm 

edders23 wrote:

I suspect the police have been told that the injuries are life-threatening. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:40 am 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

I suspect the police have been told that the injuries are life-threatening. :sad:

Quote:
A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said: "Shortly after 2.20am yesterday, we received a report of an assault on Alston Avenue, Walker.

“It was reported a 57-year-old male taxi driver had been assaulted sustaining serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

see Stuart it's not only me that skim reads the articles :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:35 am 

Quote:
see Stuart it's not only me that skim reads the articles :lol:

:-o

But do they normally show vehicle number plates in incidents like this? If you look at three of the photos, it's almost as if they're deliberately trying to avoid showing the number plates.

But in the fourth photo it's fully displayed :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:05 am 

I work at this office.

Driver is in a bad way. Suffered a stroke. Can’t go into details yet.

Person who done this was released and is a very well known offender.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:37 am 

westgatelad wrote:
I work at this office.

Driver is in a bad way. Suffered a stroke. Can’t go into details yet.

Person who done this was released and is a very well known offender.

here's hoping he makes a good recovery and that the toe-rag gets a nice long stretch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:36 am 

Man to stand trial over alleged attack on taxi driver in Walker

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... e-25462693

Robert Howey is charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent in connection with incident on Alston Avenue

A man is to stand trial over an alleged attack on a taxi driver in Newcastle.

The Chronicle told in April how a 57-year-old suffered serious injuries in an incident which happened in the early hours of the morning, in Walker. Now Robert Howey has appeared in court charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

The 38-year-old, of Allendale Road in Byker, pleaded not guilty to the offence at Newcastle Crown Court, last month. He was released on bail and will stand trial next September.

Police said emergency services were called to Alston Avenue in Walker at around 2.20am on Sunday April 3. The street was cordoned off and a man was taken to hospital.

At the time his injuries were described as "serious but not life-threatening". Residents came out their homes to watch the police activity in the hours after the incident.

A number of uniformed officers were inside one home, while a single forensics officer placed numbered evidence markers in the road. She also photographed an area outside the house and a car that was parked outside.

A 30-year-old woman arrested on suspicion of to assisting an offender remains under investigation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:17 pm 

Quote:
Robert Howey is charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent in connection with incident on Alston Avenue

The maximum sentence for that is life imprisonment.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:42 pm 

Well a lot of the mystery is clarified here :?

Quite a few interesting details, but no real point going over it all. But perp obviously a well known headbanger locally, hence the reluctance to give witness statements.

And, most importantly, not at all clear why the victim got out of the car and followed the perp :-|

Although it does say they knew each other before the incident...

Newcastle thug caused taxi driver to suffer stroke after punching and kicking him in the street

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no ... r-27901895

Photo:
https://i2-prod.chroniclelive.co.uk/inc ... mesJPG.jpg

Robert Howey has been sentenced to three years and two months in custody with a 22 months extended licence period

A thug caused a taxi driver to suffer a stroke after repeatedly punching and kicking him in the street.

Robert Howey was drunk when he got into the man's taxi without booking. Newcastle Crown Court heard how the driver tried to explain that he had another fare but the 39-year-old wouldn't take no for an answer.

Neil Pallister, prosecuting, said the victim agreed to take Howey to his mother's address in Walker, Newcastle. However Howey subjected him to an unprovoked attack when he got out of the vehicle with him.

He told the court: "(The victim) followed the defendant to the address. He describes how the defendant turned on him saying 'Do you want a go do you?' and 'Do you think you can take us?'"

The court in Newcastle heard how the Howey repeated punched and kicked the taxi driver causing him to suffer a bleed on the brain as well as a fracture to the nose, a fracture to the finger and bruising. Mr Pallister said: "The assault precipitated a stroke.

"He was put to the ground during the violence and couldn't get up. (The victim) became aware of something badly wrong with his arm and tried to get into the car.

"He was helped by some of the residents in the street. They did get the defendant away from the victim.

"One of the residents was able to dial 999 and police were swiftly on the scene. Unfortunately some of the residents who went to assist the complainant wouldn't make statements."

The court heard how the victim already had a high risk of having a stroke and had suffered "life changing" injuries during the attack on April 3 last year. He was left with weakness in his left leg and arm and poor coordination.

Mr Pallister said: "He is unable to drive and therefore cannot work. The assault has made him nervous, paranoid, unable to leave the house without support from his mother. He has been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

"He said his life had completely changed. He couldn't support his family, he just felt like a waste of space."

In a victim impact statement, the man said: "I'm still affected by the injuries I received during the stroke. I was paralysed and I was still being kicked and beaten. I'm worried about leaving the house and I have panic attacks.

"Everyday is hard work and I just want my old life back. I feel I can not get over the thought of what happened that day. It was so frightening and had such a long term affect on me."

Howey, of Alston Avenue, Walker, Newcastle, pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm.

Susannah Proctor, defending, told the court: "The defendant is shocked and upset to discover the level of injury caused to the victim. They live in the same area and have known each other for a long time."

Ms Proctor said Howey has an alcohol addiction and had felt intimidation when the man came towards him and he understand how misguided his views were at the time.

She said he grew in a "violent and difficult household" and has two children which he has no contact with. She said this causes him distress but he understands why the decision has been made.

Ms Proctor added: "He wants to put his head down, serve his sentence and carry on with his life because he can't carry on the way he was."

Judge Tim Gittins told Howey that he became "aggressive" after jumping into a taxi which he had not booked and the driver took him to an address.

He said: "You left the taxi then he mistakenly thought that the best way of keeping you calm was to get out of the vehicle at one address so you know that he wasn't leaving.

"He did nothing to provoke what you did, if viewed through sober eyes."

The judge told Howey that his actions had precipitated him having a stroke. He said he accepted that he had demonstrated some remorse.

He went on to say: "I accept that you did not know that he was vulnerable to this sort of event. That is the risk you take in attacking someone you don't know in detail. His life has been turned upside down as a result of your attack upon him.

"Frankly, you are fortunate that you are not facing a charge of fatality."

Judge Gittins sentenced Howey to three years and two months in custody and a 22 months extended licence period - a total sentence of five years. He also handed him a restraining order against the victim.

Chronicle Live previously reported how police descended on the street following the attack and a taxi was cordoned off. Neighbours said they had heard that a taxi driver had been assaulted.

A woman, who asked not to be named, said she was woken by the sound of shouting at around 2am and witnessed the attack take place. She said: "I heard shouting so I got up. It was frightening to see. We have got three daughters. It’s horrible."

A passer-by, who asked not to be identified, said: "Poor taxi driver, he's probably just been doing his job. I was just passing and I recognised the registration plate. I think he lives along the street from me."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:16 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

The maximum sentence for that is life imprisonment.

Quote:
Robert Howey has been sentenced to three years and two months in custody with a 22 months extended licence period

:sad: a known habitual offender who has effectively destroyed this drivers life way too lenient in my opinion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:35 pm 

Quote:
Susannah Proctor, defending, told the court: "The defendant is shocked and upset to discover the level of injury caused to the victim. They live in the same area and have known each other for a long time."

Is he f***. :---)