Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:50 pm 

Stratford taxi driver fails to report points on his licence

A TAXI driver from Stratford district has been suspended for failing to report three driving convictions.

The driver, a 74-year-old man from Honeybourne, failed to inform Stratford District Council of the convictions, which totalled nine penalty points on his licence. These penalty points were only revealed as part of his application to renew his dual driver’s licence. The offences occurred over a nine-month period between July 2021 and March 2022.

The driver was suspended for 12 weeks by SDC’s licensing panel.

SDC’s policy and conditions for hackney carriage and private hire drivers state that ‘the proprietor of a licensed vehicle should notify the council in writing of any conviction or caution recorded against him or of any penalty points incurred within seven days of such a conviction being imposed’.

Given that this was not the first occasion the driver had been before SDC’s licensing panel for this type of matter, the driver was fully aware of the need to report such offences.

The driver was also requested to provide the licensing department with a DVLA share code every three months for the duration of his dual driver’s licence, so that his driving licence can be checked for penalty points that may have accrued.

The decision can be appealed to the Magistrate’s Court. Any such appeal must be brought within 21 days from the date on which the notice of the decision is served.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:09 pm 

Got off pretty lightly there in my opinion :-o

If it was up to me, maybe some kind of driving assessment before he's rebadged?

I mean, 74-year-old, three different offences in nine months, none declared, and not the first time this has happened.

Of course, stuff like this often 'there but for the grace of God go I', but on the other hand...

And I know there are plenty of fit and alert 74-year-olds around, but on the other hand many are totally buggered by that age. Presumably he's been medicaled, though

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:37 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Ah Stratford on avon not Stratford east london just wasted 5 minutes trying to work out where honeybourne was in essex till I realised it's the one half way between Cheltenham and Stratford on Avon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:19 pm 

Edders, London doesn't have *district councils* dealing with taxi matters :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:24 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
Edders, London doesn't have *district councils* dealing with taxi matters :wink:

the point is that Stratford london is the first one that comes to mind as it is the biggest and has an International railway station. There are 24 places in the world named dundee but if I put dundee in a thread title the first one to come to mind would be Dundee, Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:03 pm 

Quote:
the point is that Stratford london is the first one that comes to mind

Think that Shakespeare fella makes the other one a lot more important/famous.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:22 pm 

Edders, you said you were trying to work out where Honeybourne is in Essex. Thus you presumably got to this point in the article, which mentions Stratford *District Council*. Therefore, it couldn't be the Stratford in London.

Quote:
The driver, a 74-year-old man from Honeybourne, failed to inform Stratford District Council of the convictions...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:55 am 

Stratford has an International Station, built at vast expense, at which an international train has never stopped since the day it was opened.

ps, where are these fit 70+ year olds?? I'm 70+ and not quite fit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:01 am 

Roy, I didn't mean fit as in breaking 10.0 seconds for the 100m, but, you know, some people in their seventies are perfectly capable of driving, while others might well be dead, or at least totally knackered in terms of ability to drive.

But was just thinking that at his age there are maybe alarm bells ringing, and to that extent maybe some kind of pre-emptive driving assessment might have been appropriate. Instead, they're effectively waiting until something happens before intervening :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:03 am 

And saw this one a few weeks ago, which is kind of related, although it's maybe as much human interest stuff than about trade issues.

And it's the usual rose-tinted stuff, but I suppose it would have to be if you're still driving at 77-years-old after 60 years in the trade :o

Maybe one day there'll be a piece about a driver who's had to give up for fear of slitting his wrists :cry:

Southend taxi driver named the longest Hackney carriage licence holder

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/238766 ... ce-holder/

PROUD Bill Chandler is celebrating an amazing milestone as the longest-serving Hackney Carriage driver in Southend - and he insists he has no plans to give up after 60 years on the roads.

Bill, 77, got his licence way back on October 21, 1963, at just 17-and-a-half years old, making him the youngest driver to get a licence in the city at the time.

He took the plunge to become a taxi driver after following in his dad’s footsteps and says he has always taken pride in showing newcomers and tourists around Southend, especially the seafront because of its “charm and beauty”.

Mr Chandler said: “Being a taxi driver has always been in my blood.

“My dad Jack started Chandler’s Radio Taxis in 1962, and my brother John joined in the same year at 19. I started in 1963.

“I’ve always loved meeting people from all walks of life, hearing the stories they’ve got to tell and, of course, driving - so a taxi driver was perfect for me.

“After 13 years, he sold out the business and joined AC Radio Cabs, and I’ve been working there ever since.

“I feel very proud to be the longest Hackney Cab licence holder in the city, but my thanks go to all of the people who have got in my cab over the years and made the experience so wonderful.

“Having a smile, excellent communication skills and being prepared to put your social life on hold is the secret to a great taxi driver, which is why I’ve no plans on giving up yet.”

Mr Chandler, an avid West Ham, admitted he loves the daily chats with customers and “really enjoys it when football is the topic of discussion with his passengers”.

When asked about how the job has changed over the last 60 years, he added that “not much has changed because you’re still driving people around, but more customers are less chatty due to being on their phones”.

However, when Covid struck in 2020, he says that was the “toughest point” of his career.

The 77-year-old said: “I was out of work for 15 months due to not being allowed to drive customers.

“It was hard, but it was what it was. Even though it was an upset, there was still a level of positivity in the situation, given I could spend more time with my wife and family.”

His daughter Carol Murphy said she felt an “enormous sense of pride” after her dad completed six decades of his career and hopes he continues for many years to come.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:05 am 

Quote:
“Having a smile, excellent communication skills and being prepared to put your social life on hold is the secret to a great taxi driver, which is why I’ve no plans on giving up yet.”

Er, if you started at 17 and are now 77, with no plans to give up, I don't think putting social life *on hold* quite cuts it :?

But I'd guess he's not working particularly long hours anyway, and probably not nights...

Meanwhile, some semi-literate anon nasty in the comments...

Quote:
Likes picking up all those drunk girls on a Friday night. "Hey hon, have a sip of this water" hoping the rohypnol had dissolved.