Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:54 pm 

Taxi drivers ‘struggling’ as Belfast depot increases fees

Taxi drivers have said they are “struggling” financially as a Belfast taxi company has announced they are rising their depot fees for drivers by 4.6%.

It follows an announcement earlier this month that maximum fares taxi drivers can charge customers will increase by 9.5% during the day and 19.5% at all other times.

However, drivers may charge less than the maximum if they wish.

The new prices will come into place on December 5, just weeks before Christmas.

The Department for Infrastructure said the increase is needed to tackle the lack of availability of taxis, particularly at evenings and weekends.

Increases in fuel prices and vehicle maintenance/operating costs also contributed to the rise.

It was revealed on BBC’s Nolan Show on Tuesday morning that Value Cabs are now also putting their depot rent up to £156 plus £3 for insurance from Monday December 11.

Rents for part time drivers for 1-3 days will also increase by 4.6%.

Value Cabs said that this recent rent increase is the first since December 2021.

Taxi driver Robert said on the Nolan Show that after speaking to other drivers it is clear “they are struggling at the minute and they are not happy about it.”

“I think in the circumstances, the depot rate for taxi drivers should be decreased.”

When approached by the Nolan Show, Fonacab has said they are also now considering increasing depot rent for drivers.

In a statement they said: “While we are considering the different implications of a depot service charge increase at present, we have yet to make a decision.”

When it was announced taxi fares would be increased, Hospitality Ulster chief executive Colin Neill said it was “understandable” that people would not want to pay more for their taxi in the lead-up to Christmas, but that a lack of availability of taxis was having a negative impact on the hospitality sector.

“It has been a long time since fares increased, and as everything becomes more expensive, fare adjustments are a reasonable measure for maintaining the viability of the taxi industry for the many individuals who depend on it,” he said.

“We know that limited taxi availability during peak times for pubs and restaurants is exacerbating the ongoing crisis in the hospitality sector.

“Hopefully the rise in fares will go some way in addressing this issue by encouraging more drivers to operate during evenings and weekends and expand service coverage during busy periods.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:01 pm 

Clearly I'm not a cheerleader for operators, but are they really taking the pi**? :-k

I'm not sure a fee increase below the rate of inflation is unwarranted when drivers are getting above increases in fares, and significantly above in relation to night work.

Personally, I would be more than happy to give an operator an extra tenner a week if it meant I was getting between £50 and £100 more a week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am 

Inclined to agree, Sussex, and a 4.6% rise and guaranteed not to rise throughout 2024 (apparently), hardly seems much in the current climate. And, even ignoring the fare rise, the 'depot rent' rise doesn't look as if it's likely to make a whole lot of difference to anything. (A bit like some of the council licensing fee rises that a great song and dance is made about.)

Thus to some extent it's all a bit of a *media* storm in a teacup and it's interesting how PH rentals seem to be the subject of comment in the mainstream press in a way that would never happen in mainland UK.

And there's a 14 minute discussion on the BBC's Nolan Show here, which seems a quite high profile discussion show (although you might need to have a registered account to listen to it):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gwc633

Nothing particularly ground-breaking there for trade regulars and readers on here, though, and it's mainly about the difficulty of getting a 'taxi' late at night, particularly in the run up to Christmas.

But there is some wider discussion about the wider vicious circle of a lack of cabs meaning people won't go into town, and how that affects the nighttime economy, although the claim about how this might affect the 'sectarian divide' is maybe a tad unfamiliar to us on mainland UK.

From the trade's side, there's the more astute observation about drivers not working late because of increasing problems with druggies etc, although not so sure about the one who says he knows how to deal with drunks, but not druggies. Well, maybe the latter are *more* of a problem, but I mean it's hardly the case that drunks *aren't* problematic for night drivers :roll:

Then there's the predictable numpty driver at the end, who thinks depot rents should simply be slashed to £100 per week (from over £150?) simply because the depots will be making mega profits anyway. Aye, right, as if that's going to happen, and like that's the way the world works :?

But to contextualize those unfamiliar with the Belfast/NI environment, I think there are two mega private hire operators - Value Cabs and FonaCab, both of whom feature in the discussion, and both of whom seem to be putting up rents.

Another important point (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that I think NI PHVs can pick up off the streets if there are people waiting, which explains the reference in the discussion to drivers turning off their systems at busy times and working the streets. Which is obviously bad for anyone who has to pre-book, but better for those trying to secure a car on the streets :-o

Anyway, as I said the discussion is 14 minutes, and is interesting enough, but I wouldn't burst a gut to listen to it if you're pressed for time and are familiar with the type of stuff above :?