Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:19 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
the train delays might improve your fare prospects as people will be irritated and want to get home

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:22 pm 

The train has actually gained a couple of minutes :-o

Had to laugh at this though - this is the departures page for the same train.

So train delayed due to passengers causing a disturbance, yet they're inviting you to buy tickets. Tempting - maybe I should park the car up, go to Dundee for a pish-up, and sort out the drunks on the way there :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:24 pm 

edders23 wrote:
the train delays might improve your fare prospects as people will be irritated and want to get home

Aye, was kind of thinking that, as usual...

On the other hand, it may tempt the usual walkers to get a taxi, so it'll be a fiver for three hours' wait :roll:

But sometimes feels just lucky to get a run at all as the night wears on, although normally get one at around this time on Saturday at least. And I'm second car, so the walkers tend to be first across, so the one in front might get the RTC :badgrin:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:36 pm 

So there's just three or four of us stuck it out, and there's two trains due in from Edinburgh in ten minutes because of the delays.

So could well see passengers actually emabarking and no taxis there :-o

So could see a driver or two getting lucky, and passing the station and there's a £20 run into town waiting :-o

Or, even worse, some of us have been waiting three hours, and get a £5 run, while a driver turns up and there's a £20 run waiting. Or even a £50 run going down the coast :roll:

But that's a problem with our goldfish bowl - it's easier to see what the other drivers are doing, so they get lucky and you get the $hit, and it pi$$es me off big time :lol:

Of course, I've been the lucky one at times, but you tend not to notice them so much.

And, it's just started raining, so more chance of a RTC for us near the front ](*,)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:39 pm 

So, as expected, the train has lost another couple of minutes =D> :x

But, another unexpected turn - the driver in front has got a run, so I'm in pole now. Not sure where the run came from, but must be from the southbound train, which I wasn't really paying attention to, because 95% plus of our runs come off the Edinburgh trains, rather than those from the north.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:18 am 

I actually looked to see if there was a webcam of Leuchars to visualise this unfolding.

Regarding Bell Street rank, some Glasgow drivers got faux parking ticket stickers made up for the delivery drivers etc who block ranks. Don't think it was massively effective but it gave them some satisfaction and was safer than going toe-to-toe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:10 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
XH558 wrote:
I actually looked to see if there was a webcam of Leuchars to visualise this unfolding.

Regarding Bell Street rank, some Glasgow drivers got faux parking ticket stickers made up for the delivery drivers etc who block ranks. Don't think it was massively effective but it gave them some satisfaction and was safer than going toe-to-toe.

maybe a new website on which illegally parked drivers have pictures of their vehicles posted and people maybe able to slag off the companies concerned might work. Some companies take negative publicity quite seriously

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:08 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. There's been drivers tried notes and tickets and stuff like that before, but they soon get fed up, particulary when they get tangled up with a few of the more confrontational types - you know, the sort who'll deliberately park on the rank to cause a confrontation as much as just for their own convenience.

And have certainly thought about social media and all that kind of stuff, which I could do without much difficulty (just a variation of the kind of stuff I post on here occassionaly, but obviously it would be pitched at a different audience).

Trouble with stuff like that, though, is the only people likely to take much notice are the types whose nose might end up out of joint, and there's no doubt a lot of nods and winks going on between local businesses and the powers that be, or whatever. And the tourists obviously wouldn't pay any attention at all.

And, as I said, if as a consequence the council suddenly decide to relocate the rank for 'safety' reasons, the obvious alternatives are a whole lot worse in terms of rank 'dynamics' and parking and the like.

Be careful what you wish for, sort of thing... 8-[

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:58 pm 

Here's the kind of thing that's happening all the time. Rank here full of parked cars, except two spaces at the front.

So at least there was as space for yours truly, but the Merc in front decided he/she would reverse into the spot.

I gave them a wee toot, and the car stopped, and the driver in pole got out and was obviously pointing out that it was a rank.

Of course, explaining a few basics about parking to a lot of those people can take some time, and obviously many of them just try to be awkward. So the car did drive off eventually, but by that time a queue of traffic had built up behind me, and guess who they'll blame for that? :-o

It's not so bad with tourists and visitors and the like later on at night, but then the local businesses who think the have the right to park as close as possible to their business all night are more of a nuisance, but they're not huge in terms of numbers. But, of course, it just takes one or two of them to park on the rank all night to cause a headache and hazard.

But I will try to do something more organised about it eventually, but it's just getting the timing right :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:59 pm 

Oh, and I did get a run into town last night, and it was about as easy a £20 run as you'll get in the trade (assuming a metered run and no tip). But it's the three hour wait and all the stuff about the trains and the like that's the bad bit.

And I'd forgotten that Taylor Swift was on at Murrayfield again last night, which would have explained the delayed trains at any time. But maybe some of the Swifties were kicking off on the train, which made things worse :-o

But my fare was a young female student, and about as unthreatening as you'd get, so that was another bonus, although she also said she was a Taylor Swift fan, but couldn't get tickets :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:03 pm 

Quote:
Never been one to stick the knife into other drivers, especially since the whole thing is a bit confusing,

I get the sticking the knife bit, but no way am I getting the confusion bit.

Unless we are saying they are as thick as some of the 113 licensing officials from Wolverhampton.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:01 pm 

Well it was the Edinburgh HC twins on Friday, and earlier tonight it was an Edinburgh PHC :-o

And right at the front of the rank too, so the photo above is what he would have seen from his window [-X

Although, to be fair, maybe he's one of those who thinks a PHC is a 'taxi', as the local PHD said to me the other night :lol:

And, after all, the signs don't say only local taxis :?

Anyway, don't know how long he was there for, but no one near the car when I passed. So I lapped the town, and when I came back he was just pulling off, so I didn't get a photo. But I least I got onto the rank :-|

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:15 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:55 am 

Don't know the context/run-up to the video, but it looks like someone has 'anger-management issues'. Maybe taxi-ing's not really his thing...