Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:12 pm 

Man charged in connection with St Andrews taxi rank assault

Police were called to an alleged brawl early on Sunday morning.

A 53-year-old man has been charged following reports of a brawl at a St Andrews taxi rank at the weekend.

Police were called amid allegations of an assault on a 45-year-old man in the early hours of Sunday.

It followed an alleged altercation in Bell Street in the heart of the university town.

Fife Council previously said it works closely with police to investigate complaints.

A report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.

A police spokesperson said: “Around 12.15am on Sunday June 9, police received a report of the assault of a 45-year-old man on Bell Street in St Andrews.

“A 53-year-old man has been charged in connection with the incident and a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal in due course.”

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:13 pm 

Quote:
Fife Council previously said it works closely with police to investigate complaints.

Which is why I always think stuff like 'works closely' is garbage PR speak rather than anything meaningful, as readers of the recent thread might appreciate, never mind lots of stuff I've posted about the rank in the past.

On the other hand, it might be strictly true in relation to the investigation into this, but as regards managing the rank generally, it's essentially a flat-out lie [-X

Anyway, and as per usual, it's not clear from the statement whether there was any trade involvement.

Apart from the stuff posted on another thread, even if I'd read the above without any knowledge, I'd have guessed there was no trade involvement from what's said above.

Funny thing, too, there were a couple of police vehicles at our other night rank about a month ago, and that was supposedly about an unlicensed driver or something like that. Which again, is not something I'm aware of happening here before. Or, at least, not police descending on the rank mid-evening, sort of thing :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:12 pm 

Quote:

And that's another clue that it involved the trade - why would Fife Council be mentioned if it had just been about late-night drunks rather than taxi drivers?

(Although I doubt the statement is recent - "previously said" - and nothing to do with the incident, and just added by the journalist who of course will be aware it involved drivers, although not directly mentioned in the piece.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:05 pm 

Well he's still on the road - and claiming self-defence, apparently. The other driver hit him first, allegedly, which is presumably why he had to kick the side of his car etc :roll:

But, aye, he's still working, but if you're caught with a number plate bulb out (say) you're up in front of the licensing committee having to explain yourself.