Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:51 pm 

Hold the front page.

Maybe it's worse than it sounds, but certainly doesn't seem as 'crucial' or 'vital' as it's portrayed here.

But rehashing tweets into a news article makes for easy copy.

Edinburgh taxi driver halted by police after breaking crucial rule in city centre

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/ed ... e-29366313

Police officers were patrolling the city centre on Sunday before noticing one driver make a 'prohibited' no right turn onto Candlemaker Row from George IV Bridge.

An Edinburgh private hire vehicle was halted in the city centre after police officers spotted a vital rule break.

Road police were patrolling the city centre on Sunday morning, June 16, before stopping a driver on Grassmarket. The motorist was spotted making a 'prohibited' no right turn onto Candlemaker Row from George IV Bridge.

Police issued the driver with a conditional offer of fixed penalty. It comes as officers continue to crackdown on road crime across Edinburgh and the Lothians.

Road Policing Scotland wrote on X, formally known as Twitter: "#EdinburghRP stopped this private hire vehicle as they observed it carry out a prohibited no right turn onto Candlemaker Row from George IV Bridge.

"The driver was issued with a conditional offer of fixed penalty. #DriveCarefully".

Edinburgh Live reported on Sunday how officers stopped another vehicle on West Harbour Road in Granton as the motorist was on the road without valid insurance.

Police wrote on X: "Edinburgh Road Police stopped this vehicle today on West Harbour Road, Edinburgh after a check showed that there was not a policy of insurance for the vehicle.

"The driver was reported for summons and the vehicle was seized."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:12 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I would describe that as police actually doing their job correctly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:32 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Indeed, the law is the law.

However, I would very much appreciate that level of enforcement when it comes to more serious crimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:41 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Indeed, but I could make a long list about tons of other stuff that isn't enforced, including stuff a lot more serious than what's happened here.

And I know things are all well and good down your way :roll: but I doubt it's the perfect law-abiding nirvana you seem to portray it as [-(

And I doubt you're as naive about a lot of that kind of stuff than you're sounding - I'd guess you're just disagreeing with me for the sake of it - who'd have expected that? :wink:

Smacks of performative/PR policing/policing by press release, if you ask me. Or policing by Twitter. Or X, as we're now expected to call it :roll: