Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:55 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
we finally have all the manifestos/contracts with the people published so how do people on here rate them ?

Personally I think the reform party appear quite innovative, the labour manifesto looks good on paper, the lib dems seem to be concentrating on a single issue and the Tories seem to be promising more of the same with the Greens having a slightly marxist slant.

That said I really don't think many people will pay heed to the contents they will follow the rest of the lemmings !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:24 pm 

I think it's very easy for Reform to take a view/position on anything as they have no chance of taking power in 2024.

2029 who knows?

Labour has to be super careful and thus are promising very little, as there is no money left in the pot.

If there are any lefties out there then I suggest they make the most of the next 5 years, because come 2029 it will be a very right-wing party that gets elected.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:35 am 

I was listening to the prospective Chancellor on the TV this morning ruling out and tax increases because everything was going to be funded by growth. But there was no actually policy for growth, it was going to be down to businesses to do that bit. So nothing can go wrong there then. When asked about Council tax rebanding she said that it wasn't in the Manifesto but she couldn't say what would be in the next 5 budgets. So that will be a yes then.
Whe it was pointed out about the financial black hole identified by the office for budget responsibility again this was going to be plugged by the increase in growth that they have no policy for but it will be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:36 pm 

well this leaders debate has been an hour of utter drivel with both determined to answer their own questions not the actual questions

In the mean time we have had a couple of leaflets from Grandad's mate a newspaper from labour and a newspaper from the Lib dems claiming they have won the seat with a token leaflet each from the other candidates. Not noticed any evidence of canvasing but not spent much time in town.

In her constituency Liz Truss is apparently in hiding refusing to make any public appearances :roll:

I have to wonder if there has been a lack of effort by parties relying on media coverage to do the job for them

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:14 pm 

Thankfully the tv here didn’t run it, they ran the Portugal Georgia game.

And most enjoyable it was.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:18 am 

Sussex wrote:
Thankfully the tv here didn’t run it, they ran the Portugal Georgia game.

And most enjoyable it was.

Ronaldo’s face at full time was an absolute picture. Made me wonder what English fans are whinging about. The path to the final is wide open…

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:52 pm 

you have to laugh at all dirty tricks and snenanegans being thrown by the tories and vaious media outlets at reform Uk including claims that their support is tanking.

I do think that some of this ought to be investigated especially some of the fake scandals because I doubt these are democratic and may even border on the criminal. Politics should be about the candidates being allowed to present their policies and views for the voters to make up their own minds up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:13 pm 

edders23 wrote:

I do think that some of this ought to be investigated especially some of the fake scandals because I doubt these are democratic and may even border on the criminal.

I know it was only a local Council by election but I was a victim of this last november. The Tories made up all sorts of things to discredit me and it was all reported to the police but they wouldn't take it any further puting it down to "election lies" so even though it was illegal they wouldn't take it further.
the strangest thing was on election day outside one of the polling stations, when the tory candidate and party activists turned up it ended up as a physical fight between the activists and the Labour leader of the Council. He was absolutely disgusted at what they had done. I was standing as an independent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:19 pm 

It will definitely be a different Tory party in the years to come.

Clearly a smaller one in parliament, but I suspect it will swing to the right.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:50 pm 

I'd quite like to see Rory Stewart back, but he's probably too sensibe (to do it and for them).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:57 pm 

Don’t blame me, I voted conservative.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:49 am 

jimbo wrote:
Don’t blame me, I voted conservative.

as did most people in Lincolnshire where it was forecast for 4 seats to switch to labour but they didn't

I was expecting the tories to do slightly better at nearer 150 seats and reform to do better but first past the post means the greens with less than 10 percent of the vote got 4 seats and the Lib dems with a lower share of the vote than reform got 68 to Reforms 4 so it looks like the LD "caring" approach worked well. around 40 sests to declare but looks like Starmer has got the record labour win despite not increasing their vote share by a lot.

Watched the first couple of results come in last night and the swingometer was saying swing from labour to reform but it wasn't enough to translate into seats.

It was also noticeable that independants candidates reresenting religeous "minorities" gained as many seats as Reform and Corbyn got elected

So will Starmer actually deliver "change" or will he become a very unpopular PM within a year ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:14 am 

Sadly hunt and sunak held onto their seats but Pm4PM and rees mogg both lost. I do like Rees Mogg he is an excellent debater and entertaining speaker . Liz Truss who hid for the entire campaign lost her seat of course but her ally Cleverly held on to his.

Locally Pete's mate Alicia won fairly easily here but surprisingly the "environmentalist academic" labour put up against her came second with reform and lib dems a lot further back. By and large lincolnshire stayed Conservative but over the border in Cambridgeshire a couple of seats were lost to labour with a 22 year old taking one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:07 am 

edders23 wrote:

Locally Pete's mate Alicia won fairly easily here.

Oy. She is not my mate. I left the Tories over 2 years ago to be an Independant.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:18 am 

When you look at the change in the percentage of the votes for the Labour party is shows that they only increased their share by 1.6% So overall they didn't get much from the election. Reform and the lib Dems took most of the votes from the Tories.
1 strange result from Leicester East though. The tories took the seat from Labour, how did that happen?