Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:51 pm 

Hi All

Are all licensing Authorities incompetent, or have we won some sort of prize in having the worst?

Just a thought, more to the point though, how do you deal with them?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:03 pm 

Sudbury wrote:
Hi All

Are all licensing Authorities incompetent, or have we won some sort of prize in having the worst?

cockwombles

thick as pig 5hit

i collected a plate/licence, both were wrong, she went upstairs, made a new plate, that was wrong, 3rd was right, the licence had the wrong trading title on

ive got a Kodiaq here plated for 8 passengers...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:01 pm 

Sudbury wrote:

Calmly, but assertively.

If you don't like how they act complain through the proper channels in a firm but not rude manner.

And if that doesn't get you anywhere, go up the management scale; if that doesn't work, it's to the Ombudsman and your MP.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:26 am 

Sussex wrote:
Sudbury wrote:

Calmly, but assertively.

If you don't like how they act complain through the proper channels in a firm but not rude manner.

And if that doesn't get you anywhere, go up the management scale; if that doesn't work, it's to the Ombudsman and your MP.

You also either need to know your stuff or know people who know their stuff. This is where this forum comes into it's own.
There are some very knowlegable people on here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 3:05 pm 

You also either need to know your stuff or know people who know their stuff. This is where this forum comes into it's own.
There are some very knowlegable people on here.

I am well aware, and extremely grateful

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:17 pm 

I'm interested in finding out exactly what has miffed you so much about your council.

Or is it just about everything? :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I'm interested in finding out exactly what has miffed you so much about your council.

Or is it just about everything? :D

Their total incompetence and lack of accountability over several years.

We had new policy rules brought in around 2018/9 when at consultation the drivers object to several of the changes. They went ahead anyway, only for them to be withdrawn a week after launch due to the policy actually breaking discrimination laws !

We have my personal issue over them issuing a Hackney plate to a vehicle when a social domestic and pleasure insurance policy was presented. This incident has personally cost me thousands, and still not even an apology, let alone admission of guilt !

Correspondence sent out is frequently wrong, ie wrong vehicle details, or even personal details being sent to wrong recipients.

Letters are generally signed off as "licensing team" if at all, rarely to we see a name

During covid they appeared to be able to write new laws also, this was quite alarming......
Notices were sent out to display in the vehicles in lieu of them issuing new license plates. The notices were unsigned but stated the vehicle will receive its new plate in due course....

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle Licence
(New and Renewals)

For the time being Babergh District Council will not be producing any vehicle plates (external or internal).

Vehicle Renewals - you will need to keep the expired plate on your vehicle and keep the new paper licence with you at all times when working.

New Vehicles - you will have to display the paper licence in the rear window.

THIS NOTICE APPLIES TO "CAR REG" plate PH***** expiry date 1 December 2022

Please keep a copy of this notice in the vehicle.

We will send out plates and badges, or request that you collect them, when the offices are staffed again.

That was it, just a letterhead and unsigned (and for someone else's vehicle registration and plate number, not mine!!!)

This is emailed so we get to print is off and display in the vehicles. Everyone knows that our insurance is conditional on a valid license plate being on display, otherwise it is null and void. I was not aware that licensing authorities had the power to unilaterally change this overnight.
This practice went on for two years until they got their office opened up again.

Complaints going ignored continuously

7 out of 8 scheduled meetings with drivers and operators cancelled over a 5 year period

Safeguarding issues being ignored

etc, etc, etc, on and on it goes. We feel neither represented or protect by licensing, but need protecting FROM them

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:13 pm 

I think you need to request a meeting with the lead licensing councillor, alongside a few of your mates.

Your concerns need addressing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:11 pm 

Quote:
I think you need to request a meeting with the lead licensing councillor, alongside a few of your mates.

Your concerns need addressing.

Position between myself and licensing has turned toxic having explored all options, including local MP who declined to intervene, and Ombudsmen who recognised I had a case, but likewise declined to act.
Consequently I am nothing but a nuisance to them, while they remain unaccountable/untouchable

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:13 pm 

Maybe you should organise a petition to put before the next licensing committee.

Think of a topic that most drivers will agree with, tour the ranks, and get them to sign it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:09 pm 

A few years ago, i took my (then) 6 year old car to the LA HQ for a "staff check" (not MOT or compliance) to capitalise on the "exceptional condition" clause to plate beyond the 7 years limit, alongside me was a brand new hackney, driver getting his plates inside...

out comes the "staff expert" and says..."ok, which am i looking at"?......

i was tempted to say the one next to mine even though mine was black (PH) and the hack was white, i went to open the boot and bonnet and she said "oh we dont need to see in there"