Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:39 am 

Hilarious - if Wolves were that worried about impersonation and that kind of thing - and plate identification and the like - then I don't think they'd be doing what they do [-X

But maybe adds a bit of perspective as regards why the MP highlighted the *signage* issue in that recent parliamentary speech (or whatever).

(This is actually the Wolverhampton Council news release - I've changed this from the BBC article which was originally here.)

Council implements new government guidelines to combat fake taxis

https://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/news/c ... fake-taxis

City of Wolverhampton Council is implementing new government guidelines designed to combat fake taxis and improve passenger safety - making it the first licensing authority in the country to take such action.

From today (1 August), the council will implement the government’s best practice guidance, which requires private hire drivers not to display livery signage, such as that of a private hire vehicle operator, on their doors.

This aims to prevent impersonation of private hire vehicles by anyone who prints their own imitation signage and operates as an illegal taxi.

There have been incidents reported nationally of fake signs being used on unlicensed vehicles to impersonate genuine ones. In some serious cases, unlicensed drivers have attacked lone passengers.

The change, which has been approved by the council’s regulatory committee, is designed to ensure that passengers focus on the private hire vehicle licence plate on the rear of the vehicle to verify their booking.

Customers can also check the driver and vehicle that has been sent to collect them by direct contact with the operator via phone, text message or app. The driver will also know their name and destination through the booking details the passenger provided.

The council has undertaken a 3 month consultation with the trade to gauge their views. Feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, with more than 2,250 respondents and 93% in favour of the signage changes.

Those responding felt the changes would make journeys safer for passengers, prevent damage some felt the stickers could cause and reduce the risk of vehicles being targeted by vandals.

Government also believes that high levels of signage can draw attention to private hire vehicles and leads the public to mistake them for taxis. People then approach them for immediate hire, which is unlicensed, uninsured and illegal for the driver.

Private hire vehicles must be pre booked and the council provides a ‘pre booked only’ sign for licensed drivers to attached to each passenger window.

People who need a vehicle immediately, should look for hackney carriages (black cabs) with an illuminated ‘TAXI’ light, which indicates that they are available for hire. They should also then check that there is a valid hackney carriage licence plate on the rear of the vehicle and check that the driver is wearing their driver’s hackney carriage or dual driver licence badge.

Councillor Bhupinder Gakhal, cabinet member for resident services, said: “It is important that, following consultation with the trade, City of Wolverhampton Council is implementing this guidance.

“The safety of all passengers is paramount and we are implementing government guidelines to try and prevent unscrupulous drivers creating fake signage and taking passengers under false pretences.

“This has led to instances of revoked drivers illegally plying for hire, as well as unlicensed drivers impersonating taxis. We want to work alongside the legitimate trade drivers to stop this type of fraudulent and frightening behaviour.

“I would encourage all passengers to look for the private hire vehicle licence plate on the rear of the vehicle and the badge worn by the driver. They can also contact the operator to double check details.

“People wanting to hail a cab in the street should only approach vehicles with an illuminated taxi sign, then check it has a valid hackney carriage licence plate. They should then verify the licence badge the hackney carriage driver is wearing.”

Anyone who wants to make a complaint about their journey can contact the operator they made the booking with. Or they can report any concerns to the council at Taxi Complaints – Report a taxi driver.

Released: Thursday 1st August, 2024

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:40 am 

Quote:
The change is designed to ensure passengers focus on the private hire vehicle licence plate to verify their booking.

Yes, Wolverhampton plates on cars operating the length and breadth of the country - not potentially confusing at all :roll:

Quote:
People needing a vehicle immediately should look for hackney carriages - black cabs - with an illuminated taxi light, the council said.

So Wolves cars are only operating in areas where there are black cabs :-o

But that underlines another funny thing about the whole article - you'd think it was about a bog standard licensing authority, not Wolves [-(

But no doubt this article is just an official press release rehash - and Wolverhamton Council won't want to highlight the element of cross-border signage confusion etc when they're trying to play the safety card... [-X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:44 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
most councils mandate door signage to make genuine licensed vehicles more recognisable. :-k

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:22 am 

edders23 wrote:
most councils mandate door signage to make genuine licensed vehicles more recognisable. :-k

If they can't put the signs on the doors how are people going to recognise their UBER?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:40 am 

As the council says (and I think Sussex will say), because most of it is done electronically these days then passengers will be sent the vehicle ID stuff to their phone.

On the other hand, no door signage on PHVs means it's easier for fake 'taxis' to pose as a legitimate car if no door signs are required, which goes to the heart of the council's contradictory approach...

Quote:
City of Wolverhampton Council aims to prevent the impersonation of private hire vehicles by people printing imitation signs and operating as an illegal taxi.

The change is designed to ensure passengers focus on the private hire vehicle licence plate to verify their booking.

Which also underlines what I said earlier - if passengers are supposed to be looking at plates rather than livery, then Wolves plates here, there and everywhere just confuses the whole thing.

But, of course, the crux of the problem is Wolves empire-building through their cross-border/cheap labour approach [-X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 3:06 pm 

Up here on the sunny Fylde coast then Premier are going to have Blackpool licensed cars with Company name on the front door and council PH on rear, Fylde cars with name on rear and council on front and Wolves cars with nothing on doors, but apparently are having some branding on rear of the car. I wonder what Whitesides are going to do.

I've heard that to have this new rear sticker allowed by Wolves council, the Wolves drivers have to sign a document saying that they will drive exclusively for Premier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:15 pm 

Quote:
There have been incidents reported nationally of fake signs being used on unlicensed vehicles to impersonate genuine ones. In some serious cases, unlicensed drivers have attacked lone passengers.

And how is having no signage on licensed vehicles going to stop unlicensed vehicles?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:30 pm 

I wonder if those operators, located nowhere near Wolverhampton who have Wolverhampton cars, will be a tad upset that those cars will now not be able to advertise their firms anymore.

All that said, it has to be hypocrisy of the highest order for that council to ever discuss/mention customer safety.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:16 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I wonder if those operators, located nowhere near Wolverhampton who have Wolverhampton cars, will be a tad upset that those cars will now not be able to advertise their firms anymore.

Mystic Sussex. Some of the article is behind a paywall that I can't be arsed to bypass, but the boss on the video clip echos what I said above. Maybe they should seek a license elsewhere. :lol:

Taxi boss and passengers speak out about new legislation for Wolverhampton cabs

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/tra ... pton-cabs/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:14 am 

Meanwhile returning from Calais to Dover last week, the car in front of mine was a Wolves-plated PH car!! Pity I don't know how to post a picture on here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:41 am 

roythebus wrote:
Meanwhile returning from Calais to Dover last week, the car in front of mine was a Wolves-plated PH car!! Pity I don't know how to post a picture on here.

Maybe the driver was coming back from holiday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:38 pm 

This is the archived article below:

And Wolves here is shorthand for Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, not shorthand for the daftie licensing council :-o

Taxi boss and passengers speak out about new legislation for Wolverampton cabs

The boss of a Wolverhampton taxi firm has slammed new rules preventing private hire companies from putting their names and branding on the side of cabs.

Jim Sharma, who runs Wednesfield Cars, claims the public will be confused put at risk as they could get into the wrong vehicle and his stance is being supported by Wolves, for whom the company has been transporting players and staff for over 30 years.

The City of Wolverhampton implemented the new government guidelines from yesterday (Thursday), the first licensing authority in the country to take action. They are designed to combat fake taxis and improve passenger safety.

They claim a three-month consultation with the trade to gauge views found 93 per-cent in favour of the signage changes out of more than 2,250 respondents. Those responding felt the changes would make journeys safer for passengers, prevent damage some felt the stickers could cause and reduce the risk of vandalism, they say.

But Mr Sharma said with the distinctive branding going, including Wolves logos in the back window, people would become confused about whether the vehicle they had booked was a taxi and it ran the risk of them not being easily able to access their vehicle.

He said: "I am more concerned for the public than the taxi firms and the potential problems it will cause. With Wolves we have had to take their logo out of the back window – we have worked with the club since 1991 and there has always been something reassuring about the badge for the families of youngsters who we transport all over the country.

"I know Wolves have spoken to the council about this as it is something they feel strongly about.

"The consultation was carried out with members of the taxi trade not the public who will now be expected to identify their vehicle from a registration rather than it being clear from branding it is the company they have booked with – it will be confusing and potentially dangerous for them."

Patricia Bellingham, aged 73, who uses Wednesfield Cars up to three times a week said she was against the new legislation which had already caused confusion.

She said: "On the first day this came up my taxi turned up but I didn't know whether it was mine or a normal car – there was a blank space where the logo used to be and it was only when the driver spoke to me that I knew who it was.

"I can also see problems on a weekend where people could be fighting over the taxis or worse still young women get into the wrong vehicle and anything could happen.

A spokesman for Wolverhampton City Council said: "Private hire vehicles must be pre-booked and the authority provides a sign for licensed drivers to attach to each passenger window.

"Customers can check the driver and vehicle sent to collect them by direct contact with the operator via phone, text message or app.

"The government believes high levels of signage can draw attention to private hire vehicles and leads the public to mistake them for taxis.

"People then approach them for immediate hire, which is unlicensed, uninsured and illegal for the driver. This legislation will help prevent that."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:39 pm 

Photo of the Wednesfield Massive here :D

Maybe they'll use this photo for their next album cover 8)

https://archive.is/SEXu7/507b0a0ab532b5 ... 6b57e.avif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:54 pm 

Rumour has it that Premier are going to gradually be relicensing their Wolverhampton cars with Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre councils. Main reason being that cars now have to be tested in Wolverhampton, although I assume now not being allowed no main branding on >50% of their cars doesn't help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:45 am 

Cerberus wrote:
Main reason being that cars now have to be tested in Wolverhampton...

Eh? :-o

That would certainly be a major game-changer...

But my impression was that in fact Wolves had dispensed with affiliated garage MoTs entirely, so that would make compliance testing even easier for drivers (basically all they need is a standard MoT issued by any garage anywhere) while you're saying the total opposite? :-k

Either way, very interesting what you're saying about how the signage issues etc making things very messy in your neck of the woods :-?