Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:02 pm 

Maybe of interest, hope everyone is ok

CC

https://www.localgovernmentlawyer.co.uk/licensing/316-licensing-features/57589-local-authority-insight-series-taxi-licensing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:33 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
at 55 minutes long it might be a bit too long for a retired cabbie like me but I'm sure sussex,Stuart and one or two others will find it very interesting

How are you keeping CC is the old ticker trouble free these days. I did visit Carlisle briefly last year and came out of the station to look for the rank to see if you were there but only saw one vehicle which quickly dissapeared.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:50 pm 

Got as far as the bit about the local government lawyer starting to witter on about staffing issues and a loss of 'knowledge base' if licensing authorities were amalgamated. Vested interests, much?

A major problem as I see it is in fact that there are nearly 300 different knowledge bases, each doing their own thing. If there were fewer regulatory authorities then this would in fact strengthen knowledge and expertise, surely?

Too many chefs spoiling the broth at the moment, as far as I can see...

Anyway, I'm sure there will be some interesting insights when I find the time to watch it later...on the other hand, often try to avoid stuff like this because will end up with too much stuff to comment on... [-(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:53 pm 

edders23 wrote:
at 55 minutes long it might be a bit too long for a retired cabbie like me but I'm sure sussex,Stuart and one or two others will find it very interesting

How are you keeping CC is the old ticker trouble free these days. I did visit Carlisle briefly last year and came out of the station to look for the rank to see if you were there but only saw one vehicle which quickly dissapeared.

I'm fine my old friend, hope you are too :wink:

The rank is always busy 'ish' , it was probably my day off :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:55 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Got as far as the bit about the local government lawyer starting to witter on about staffing issues and a loss of 'knowledge base' if licensing authorities were amalgamated. Vested interests, much?

A major problem as I see it is in fact that there are nearly 300 different knowledge bases, each doing their own thing. If there were fewer regulatory authorities then this would in fact strengthen knowledge and expertise, surely?

Too many chefs spoiling the broth at the moment, as far as I can see...

Anyway, I'm sure there will be some interesting insights when I find the time to watch it later...on the other hand, often try to avoid stuff like this because will end up with too much stuff to comment on... [-(

I thought James Button's thoughts on a national PH license were forward looking, especially in respect of national standards......Sussex is going to fall over, isn't he :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:14 pm 

Quote:
I thought James Button's thoughts on a national PH license were forward looking, especially in respect of national standards......Sussex is going to fall over, isn't he :lol:

I haven't looked at the discussion, but will sometime this week.

Regarding PH National Standards (which is what I'm certain this Labour government is aiming for) I'm not sure we haven't already got them.

All drivers must be over 18 (or 21 in some areas) with at least one year's full DVLA license. They must pass a medical, disability training, and CSE courses. They must also be of good character confirmed, or otherwise, via a DBS check.

The only real difference for drivers is that some areas require geographical, and maths/English test requirements.

Operator licenses are nearly all the same. The only real difference is their costs.

Vehicle licenses can be different in terms of age and make, but most councils require an MOT-type check with added checks for cleanliness and appearance.

So the question I ask myself is what difference will it make to most PH drivers/owners/operators?

Even though I would bloody well hate it, as I suspect would a large number of licensing officials who would lose their jobs and councillors who would lose their control.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:36 pm 

Quote:
I suspect would a large number of licensing officials who would lose their jobs and councillors who would lose their control.

Tbf that isn't an entirely bad thing :wink: