Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:02 pm 

North Yorkshire Council Proposes Major Overhaul of Taxi Services

North Yorkshire Council is preparing to introduce significant changes to its hackney carriage services, with proposals aimed at increasing the number of Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) and Zero-Emission Vehicles (ZEVs), while simultaneously improving safety and accessibility for passengers. The council’s general licensing and registration committee will review the proposals on 3rd September, with a potential 12-week public consultation to follow if the executive approves the recommendations on 17th September.

Under the new plans, all new applications for hackney carriage licences would be required to use either WAVs or ZEVs. This bold step aims to boost accessibility for people living with disabilities and reduce carbon emissions across the county. A phasing-out period for existing vehicles is also proposed, with all hackney carriages expected to comply with the new standards by January 2030.

Despite previous incentives, including waiving licence fees and relaxing age limits for WAVs, the number of these vehicles in North Yorkshire has remained stable. The council now hopes to take more decisive action. “We are committed to ensuring the availability of an accessible and affordable taxi service across North Yorkshire, especially for those particularly reliant on it,” said Cllr Greg White, North Yorkshire Council’s executive member for licensing.

The council expects that by requiring all new hackney carriages to be either WAVs or ZEVs, it will significantly increase the availability of accessible vehicles while also improving air quality. The introduction of ZEVs aligns with the Government’s environmental goals and will contribute to reducing emissions across the county. Importantly, these changes apply only to hackney carriages and not to private hire vehicles, maintaining a mixed fleet in line with national guidance.

In addition to these measures, the council has also responded to feedback from the trade. Proposed changes include ensuring that all vehicle licences, both new and renewed, meet updated emission standards. The proposals also introduce adjustments to the frequency of vehicle testing, changes to medical assessments, and the option for drivers to apply for a specific type of licence. These changes aim to support the ongoing provision of safe, reliable, and environmentally friendly hackney carriage and private hire services.

Cllr White explained: “This new approach shows that we’re serious about improving services, which are invaluable to so many in our community for their everyday lives – getting to work, medical appointments, education, or simply meeting up with friends.”

If the proposals are approved, new requirements will come into effect for all new vehicle licences starting from 1st April 2025, while existing licence holders will have until 1st January 2030 to comply, allowing ample time for them to make necessary arrangements.

Cllr Tim Grogan, chair of the licensing and registration committee, highlighted the evolving nature of the licensing policy: “The licensing policy is never static; it is always changing, being interpreted or redefined. The committee will robustly debate these proposals to ensure we continue improving our hackney carriage and private hire services.”

If the executive greenlights the consultation, residents and stakeholders will be able to share their views via the council’s website over a 12-week period. The council hopes that these changes will enhance the quality of life for residents across North Yorkshire, particularly for those who depend on accessible and eco-friendly transport options.

source: https://theyorkshirepress.co.uk/news/north-yorkshire-council-proposes-major-overhaul-of-taxi-services/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:22 pm 

I hope this one lasts longer than the last one :roll:

These councils have a real cheek, taxis and PH are businesses, changing rules affects peoples lives

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:

These councils have a real cheek, taxis and PH are businesses, changing rules affects peoples lives

I wonder if this is another council that believes drivers have vast amounts of cash sitting around just waiting to buy a £50-100,000 WAV, or an EV for £25,000+ that will allow you to work locally but not allow you to undertake long-distance work?

I also wonder if this is a council that will insist drivers spend all that money, but then allow any old sh** from anywhere to undertake their school/social service contract work. :-k

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

I wonder if this is another council that believes drivers have vast amounts of cash sitting around just waiting to buy a £50-100,000 WAV, or an EV for £25,000+ that will allow you to work locally but not allow you to undertake long-distance work?

I also wonder if this is a council that will insist drivers spend all that money, but then allow any old sh** from anywhere to undertake their school/social service contract work. :-k

=D>

I'm sure the sh*t they're doing now was mentioned by the trade before they de-zoned :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:35 pm 

Personally, I'm not a fan of zones.

But I am a fan of 'Grandfather Rights'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:44 pm 

Sussex wrote:

I understand where your coming from, especially now that im a three times grandad, and personally Cumberland should not have zones.

However, what I really object to, is the lack of consultation, the taking of my colleagues as country bumpkins who'll not ask questions, and the lack of transparency.

I'm old in the tooth, my colleagues appear to know very little, and seemingly have no desire to learn, its really frustrating.

Over the years, me, you and dear old JD have had a few spats (to say the least), but we always got on.

The law commission suggested zoning , if needed, I don't disagree, there are certain areas when it could be used properly.

But the current consultation I'm looking at is barely intelligable for the average human being

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:36 am 

https://edemocracy.northyorks.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=2104&MId=7957&Ver=4

link to committee papers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:09 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I understand where your coming from, especially now that im a three times grandad, and personally Cumberland should not have zones.

However, what I really object to, is the lack of consultation, the taking of my colleagues as country bumpkins who'll not ask questions, and the lack of transparency.

I'm old in the tooth, my colleagues appear to know very little, and seemingly have no desire to learn, its really frustrating.

Over the years, me, you and dear old JD have had a few spats (to say the least), but we always got on.

The law commission suggested zoning , if needed, I don't disagree, there are certain areas when it could be used properly.

But the current consultation I'm looking at is barely intelligable for the average human being

It says they have consulted

Consultation
In preparing this Inclusive Service Plan, the Council has consulted with the following stakeholders:

Licence holders
Passenger Transport
North Yorkshire Police
Disability action groups
Other Council departments
Service users

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:14 pm 

mancityfan wrote:

It says they have consulted

Consultation
In preparing this Inclusive Service Plan, the Council has consulted with the following stakeholders:

Licence holders
Passenger Transport
North Yorkshire Police
Disability action groups
Other Council departments
Service users

I'm pretty sure they said the same back in 2023 :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:18 pm 

Prior to the de-zoning in 2023 one council official stated ‘one benefit of this will be a wider distribution of wheelchair-accessible vehicles’ , the obvious change in policy by North Yorkshire council suggests the contrary.

‘Despite previous incentives, including waiving licence fees and relaxing age limits for WAVs, the number of these vehicles in North Yorkshire has remained stable. The council now hopes to take more decisive action. “We are committed to ensuring the availability of an accessible and affordable taxi service across North Yorkshire, especially for those particularly reliant on it,” said Cllr Greg White, North Yorkshire Council’s executive member for licensing.’

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:20 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Prior to the de-zoning in 2023 one council official stated ‘one benefit of this will be a wider distribution of wheelchair-accessible vehicles’ , the obvious change in policy by North Yorkshire council suggests the contrary.

‘Despite previous incentives, including waiving licence fees and relaxing age limits for WAVs, the number of these vehicles in North Yorkshire has remained stable. The council now hopes to take more decisive action. “We are committed to ensuring the availability of an accessible and affordable taxi service across North Yorkshire, especially for those particularly reliant on it,” said Cllr Greg White, North Yorkshire Council’s executive member for licensing.’

All the policy will do is drive more people out of the business.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:31 pm 

grandad wrote:
captain cab wrote:

All the policy will do is drive more people out of the business.

Correct answer grandad :sad:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:29 am 

Well of course grandad his right, if I was faced with these changes I would look for another job or license out of area, unless there was at least 50% funding, then I would have to consider it, but as it stands I would be gone.

On what I have read from captain , I have come to the conclusion that consultation was extremely limited.

Furthermore, I would want to see the number of letters produced in the councils bundle written by bodies that that would be "interested party's" that should have been consulted on. Was there a public consultation ? and an appropriate consultation with those who have disabilities. I would also want the "minutes" of meetings with the Hackney trade and other interested parties. There’s a lot of councillors at this meeting I would want to ask them how many training courses they had been on to do with the taxi trade, how can you make decisions on something you don’t understand, I went to a meeting once where the chair of licensing thought one person owned all the taxis in the area because they were all the same colour, and yes it’s true.

The most significant factor is
WHETHER THERE IS A DEMONSTRABLE NEED IN NORTH YORKSHIRE TO HAVE THESE CONDITIONS

I can’t see any information about other forms of transportation that most, the majority of disabled people use, council run schemes ect
And in my experience the disabled are very organised when planning journeys and have suitable vehicles waiting for them when they need them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:43 am 

mancityfan wrote:
Well of course grandad his right, if I was faced with these changes I would look for another job or license out of area, unless there was at least 50% funding, then I would have to consider it, but as it stands I would be gone.

On what I have read from captain , I have come to the conclusion that consultation was extremely limited.

Furthermore, I would want to see the number of letters produced in the councils bundle written by bodies that that would be "interested party's" that should have been consulted on. Was there a public consultation ? and an appropriate consultation with those who have disabilities. I would also want the "minutes" of meetings with the Hackney trade and other interested parties. There’s a lot of councillors at this meeting I would want to ask them how many training courses they had been on to do with the taxi trade, how can you make decisions on something you don’t understand, I went to a meeting once where the chair of licensing thought one person owned all the taxis in the area because they were all the same colour, and yes it’s true.

The most significant factor is
WHETHER THERE IS A DEMONSTRABLE NEED IN NORTH YORKSHIRE TO HAVE THESE CONDITIONS

I can’t see any information about other forms of transportation that most, the majority of disabled people use, council run schemes ect
And in my experience the disabled are very organised when planning journeys and have suitable vehicles waiting for them when they need them.

I'm going through the same thing currently in Cumberland, but we have a six week period of consultation, immediately after the general election and during school holidays.

The 'consultation' is presented as a fait accompli.

We are expected to read and digest 163 pages of reading, and at no point has the aim (from what I've read) of de-zoning, is mentioned.

Like Yorkshire they are wanting to raise the age limits on WAV's to encourage people to buy, even though this same policy has seemingly failed in North Yorkshire.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:49 am 

https://www.cumberland.gov.uk/your-council/have-your-say/have-your-say-taxi-and-private-hire-policy