Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:03 pm 

My latest saga with Insurance is a wonderful eye opener posing more questions than answers.

Another accident (getting the target replaced soon), T Boned this time, young lad didnt stop at a junction. Cut and dried non fault claim, liability not contested.
Duly had the replacement taxi hire car service etc, but third part insurer is squeamish about the bill, £9k for the month !!
They are demanding 3 years worth of my tax returns and 6 months bank and credit card statements. Obviously this was denied, then denied again. Following the third demand and denial though, I got curious as to why they keep demanding this. In accepting the delivery of the hire car, you enter into a hire agreement. Basically if the insurer doesn't pay for whatever reason, the hirer pays!
It gets better, the introductory letter from the claims handler (separate company outsourced by the insurer), has a lovely little paragraph about how your claim is funded. It's by means of a CFA, CREDIT Finance Agreement. If I am not mistaken, this is a way of saying "if they don't pay, you will" without actually saying it!!

These wonderful discoveries lead to the question, what is the legal definition of "Fully Comprehensive Insurance"?
According to LV it's....

In a nutshell, comprehensive car insurance cover – sometimes known as fully comprehensive cover, pays out if you damage your car, someone else's car or injure someone in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. Comprehensive car insurance also covers you against fire and theft.

Next question... Why then the credit agreements? Because if My neck is on the line, its not fully comprehensive is it !

Next question... Why do we need fully comp if we end up liable anyway?

Next question... Do these credit agreements actually negate the description of Fully Comprehensive?

Next question... Does this practice put the policies in breach of the Trade Descriptions act if they are failing to pay out?

I am no expert in these matters, just another struggling cabbie, but this smells wrong. The way it is done is to draw little or no attention so you don't know you are being shafted until its too late

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:40 pm 

yes, the £500/day plated hire car scam is just that....a scam, i was offered suchlike back in 2015 as i had "fault or non fault replacement hire" (it was my fault), as it was a 3 day repair i took £250 cash to sit at home

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:19 pm 

Quote:
Duly had the replacement taxi hire car service etc, but third part insurer is squeamish about the bill, £9k for the month !!

They will deal with these types of claims 100s, possibly 1000s of times a year. It's all part of the insurance con.

A mate of mine had his car written off two weeks ago, within days the vehicle had been assessed and written off, and within a week he had a cheque in the post.

I think a court would say if it was a clear-cut claim why it took the insurance company so long to pay out. If they had acted quicker the £9,000 wouldn't have been spent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 6:23 pm 

Quote:
Next question... Does this practice put the policies in breach of the Trade Descriptions act if they are failing to pay out?

How many people read the full written contract? Not even a nerd like me.

I suspect a court would ask why the insurance company didn't highlight such an important part of the contract.

But any claim, in respect of excessive post-accident rental costs, would be between the two insurance companies.

There will be a lot of huff and puff, but that's merely what insurance companies do.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:07 pm 

many years ago when I worked in limoland I had an insurace company ring me to see if I would hire one of my limos to them to give to another company whilst theirs was off the road due to a non fault accident. The limo was going to be repaired and it would only be for a few weeks so I agreed. The insurance company was paying me £200 a day for the hire.
Well things did not go according to plan with the repairs and the long side panel that came over from the US by boat arrived damaged and could not be used. This happened twice. All in all it took 6 months to get the car fixed and I was paid £36,000 for the hire. The damaged car was worth a maximum of £14,000.
I think I did alright out of that one and the owner of the damaged car got it back fully repaired. The other chaps insurer never even quibbled about the costs.