Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:14 pm 

I have the following scenario

Just say I buy a new vehicle and license it as a PHV, it costs me £300.

Just say that vehicle is written off within a week of me buying it and licensing it as a PHV

I am informed by the council that they don't do transfers, in other words they insist I must license the new vehicle as a new vehicle and must give them £300

In the past they have allowed me to transfer my old vehicle license to another replacement vehicle, but now they do not.

How does that work???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:40 pm 

Without prejudice

Dear Licensing Team

As you will be aware, I was recently misinformed by your department regarding the situation in respect of the availability of saloon hackney carriage licenses.

I was told that my replacement vehicle must be private hire.

I was additionally informed that you no longer ‘did’ transfer of licenses to replacement vehicles, which meant I had to purchase a new license for my replacement vehicle, despite time being left on my ‘old’ license.

I am a little confused by this change in policy, and would like your direction as to the committee decision as to when it was made, as it doesn’t appear to be included in the current policy we seem to be vaguely working under and I’m not aware of any consultation.

If this new policy is correct, theoretically, I could license a new car on Monday, get it written off on Tuesday and have to buy a new license on Wednesday for a new vehicle, if Craig David did songs, this wouldn’t be a hit.

Best Wishes and I look forward to your imminent response.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:59 pm 

I suppose the argument that councils will make is that although the license is in place for 12 months the cost of processing that licence is the same if it only lasts a matter of weeks.

So if a vehicle was written off within weeks any new vehicle needed to be licensed would incur costs during the fresh licensing procedure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:01 pm 

The council also must do transfers, it says so in the acts.

If you sell the vehicle or wish to add a name to the license the council must do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:16 pm 

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:25 am 

Sussex wrote:
I suppose the argument that councils will make is that although the license is in place for 12 months the cost of processing that licence is the same if it only lasts a matter of weeks.

So if a vehicle was written off within weeks any new vehicle needed to be licensed would incur costs during the fresh licensing procedure.

Don't know the details of the legislation down your way, nor each council's individual procedures, but not sure I agree with you...

It's better illustrated with the three-year licences we have here, but same principle applies with a one-year plate, I think...

But if I get a new three-year licence, and then replace my car a few weeks later, then all they have to do is test the replacement vehicle. In fact that was more or less the scenario when I replaced my motor in the spring and that was just a few months into a three-year licence. So instead of having to pay another £600 or whatever for a new three-year vehicle licence, I just had to pay £30 for a substitution, which covers the inspection and paperwork - all they have to do is inspect the car and issue a replacement licence with the new car's details on it etc.

(On the other hand, in terms of pure admin costs I don't think our charges for the above really reflect the amount of work involved, and to that extent the charges should be a bit closer together, but we certainly shouldn't have to repay the full cost of a three-year licence just to replace the car [-( )

So can't really see the difference between that and an accident writing off the car and necessitating a replacement - mine was due to the age-rule, but it would be classed as a vehicle substitution regardless of circumstances.

Of course, and particularly for one-year plates, I'd guess that even if CC's council did play ball and not require a full year's fee, instead they'd maybe levy some sort of substitution/replacement fee, so it might not amount to that much of a saving, depending of course on how awkward they wanted to be :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:26 am 

CC, don't know if it's just a difference in terminology, but here a licence transfer is about changing the licensee. If it's a change of vehicle on the same licence then it's called a substitution here :?

And if you're saying that your vehicle is currently on an HC plate but they say you can't relicense it HC and PH is the only option, then to that extent it's neither a transfer nor a substitution on the above terms, because it'll be a completely new licence. Presumably :-o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:42 am 

StuartW wrote:
CC, don't know if it's just a difference in terminology, but here a licence transfer is about changing the licensee. If it's a change of vehicle on the same licence then it's called a substitution here :?

And if you're saying that your vehicle is currently on an HC plate but they say you can't relicense it HC and PH is the only option, then to that extent it's neither a transfer nor a substitution on the above terms, because it'll be a completely new licence. Presumably :-o

thanks for that :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 8:23 am 

I must make it clear, as my previous posts didn't.

It's not a transfer of ownership, it's replacing one vehicle for another newer vehicle, and its private hire not hackney carriage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:10 am 

Yes, CC - that's what I assumed from your hypothetical example at the outset, but your letter seemed to be saying you were replating a HC vehicle as a PHV, so my answer was kind of aimed at both scenarios :lol: