Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:50 pm 

Wolverhampton Council aims to cut taxi licence applications amid 'sex abuse fears'

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black- ... i-30094807

City of Wolverhampton Council is putting the brakes on the number of private hire drivers it licences after recent sex abuse cases. Ten years ago, the authority licensed around 1,200 drivers, but following deregulation, the number exploded to more than 45,000, working in towns as far afield as Blackpool and Southampton.

Following sex abuse cases where licensed taxis were implicated the council now wants to deter applications in a bid to limit possible reputational damage. A report for the council’s latest meeting of its Audit and Risk Committee found that as the number of licensees increases, so does the likelihood of a serious issue.

The report added: “There have been serious child sex exploitation scandals revealed in Rotherham and Telford, which involved taxi drivers. “Licensed vehicles provide a ‘camouflage’ which allows vehicles to traffic vulnerable people, as well as the offer of free trips for grooming.”

John Roseblade, director of resident services, told the committee: “There are pieces of work to try to throttle back the number of applications we are receiving. “One of which is that there used to be a requirement we would visit drivers, now we require drivers to attend Wolverhampton, which is designed to discourage people.”

The Deregulation Act 2015 allowed taxi operators to subcontract bookings out to other firms licensed by other authorities, whereas previously, they could only use companies from the same area. The change coincided with major improvements in how Wolverhampton licensed drivers, making it one of the fastest services in the country.

While in some areas, it could take up to four months to get a licence, Wolverhampton’s digital system was fast and efficient, which caused a boom in applications. The law also meant the authority was not allowed to turn down applications just because they were from outside Wolverhampton.

The council can only spend funds raised from fees on private hire licensing rather than general expenditure so, as numbers rose, the extra income was used for more upgrades and to cut charges – making the service even more attractive. To maintain high safeguarding and safety standards, the council is spending the cash on a system which checks every driver’s DBS certificate status every day, airport style facial recognition software to process new applicants and officers carrying out hundreds of safety checks in all parts of the country.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 8:54 pm 

gate, open, horse, bolted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 9:24 pm 

Sussex wrote:
To maintain high safeguarding and safety standards, the council is spending the cash on a system which checks every driver’s DBS certificate status every day.

There you go Wanna, no you know why your DBS gets checked so often.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:47 pm 

Maybe they think the writing is on the wall regarding cross-border working, and are now trying to wind it all down in anticipation rather than facing a cliff-edge scenario a few years down the line.

I mean, the Labour government is inspiring huge confidence with regards to competence, integrity and promoting the public interest, so sorting out the cross-border thing should be a breeze :lol: :---)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2024 11:34 pm 

John Roseblade, director of resident services wrote:
"One of which is that there used to be a requirement we would visit drivers, now we require drivers to attend Wolverhampton, which is designed to discourage people.”

What does that mean, precisely? :-s

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 5:35 am 

Pretty sure Wolverhampton officials toured the UK allowing applicants to undertake any licensing requirements in their local operator’s bases.

Which does put to bed all the bollocks often spouted by the basket case council that they are only doing what the law requires them to do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:50 am 

I retired from Lincoln HC trade three years ago, and no regrets at all. When I speak to mates who are still in the trade, they tell me that Wolverhampton have told Lincoln licensing to stop emailing them with complaints about wolves drivers. They don’t do a thing about any complaints anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:40 am 

StuartW wrote:
John Roseblade, director of resident services wrote:
"One of which is that there used to be a requirement we would visit drivers, now we require drivers to attend Wolverhampton, which is designed to discourage people.”

What does that mean, precisely? :-s

It means you have to have a day out in Wolverhampton to do all the stuff they want you to do before you can get a license.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:45 am 

I was puzzled about what the director said about the former requirement that Wolves council 'visited' drivers, rather than the other way round, Grandad.

(That was why I highlighted that bit in the quote with my usual purple colour, although I forget that some people may be colour blind :wink: )

Whether by 'visit' he may mean spot checks or whatever, it's an odd way to put it. And it's certainly odd to compare the odd spot check and the low chances of an individual driver being subject to one, with a specific requirement for every driver to attend Wolverhampton to obtain a licence.

Anyway, I thought they always made the point that drivers did have to attend a one-day course in Wolverhampton, or whatever.

Of course, there's the vehicle angle as well and the testing stations, which is obviously a bit different.

So maybe the whole badge and plate things are being conflated and confused - that's never happened before :-s

I might have to summon up the effort and have a look at the actual council papers rather than the press summary.

That video Sussex pointed out a few weeks ago was certainly very enlightening :-o