Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:14 am 

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=98912&command=displayContent&sourceNode=98821&contentPK=8813061

CABBIES HAIL TAXIS' NEW LOOK

12:00 - 12 February 2004

New European-style taxis could be introduced in Plymouth if the city council decides to grant them a licence next week.

The Eurocab would be an option for existing hackney carriage owners to use if the idea is given the green light by Plymouth City Council's licensing committee.

Plymouth cabbies and members of charity Shop Mobility were consulted about the proposals to bring in the new taxis last October when a number of companies which supply alternative forms of hackney carriage were invited to display their vehicles for viewing in the Council House car park.

The following month a letter was sent to all owners and drivers of hackney carriage vehicles seeking their views on alternative forms of transport. Of the 35 replies, 18 were in favour, with 15 against and three happy to go with whichever was the majority.

The move comes after drivers and owners of hackney carriages requested permission to buy alternative vehicles to the traditional London black cab.

Secretary of the Plymouth Licensed Taxi Association, Roy Hamilton said: "We are looking forward to them coming in - we have been trying to get them for ten years.

"They offer a better service to the public and better comfort for the drivers.

"We look forward to a vehicle that is better designed for modern driving conditions."

If the scheme gets the go-ahead a black colour restriction could be imposed on the new vehicles.

A report to the licensing committee, which meets next Thursday, outlines the specifications Eurocabs would need to meet and the recommendations for the committee.

It states: "In order to alleviate any confusion between hackney carriage vehicles and private hire vehicles, all Eurocab vehicles first presented for licensing with Plymouth City Council should not be more than three years of age from first registration and must be black in colour.

"These vehicles offer better access for wheelchair users and will also allow them the choice of facing forward or to the rear."

so out of 650 HC drivers in plymouth only 35 bothered to reply. hows that for forward thinking.....

i like the:
"They offer a better service to the public and better comfort for the drivers.
"We look forward to a vehicle that is better designed for modern driving conditions."

i hope LTI are reading this. no court actions needed, no old school councillors demanding a 25ft turning circle, just a council looking to better the service to the customers and the comfort (and less cost) to the drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:56 pm 
Are the drivers going to be wheelchair friendly??? The lads in Dundee aren't, they belly ache about getting a WAV plate, when they get one they don't like doing WAV work because it takes to much time to load a WAV :? :? :? :? :? :? Makes you wonder don't it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:17 pm 

Spoken like a true LTI friend, saloon driver.

What's that word beginning with H? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:25 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
Spoken like a true LTI friend, saloon driver.

What's that word beginning with H? :?

Also Ex Nissan versa cab driver. Ex Austin driver, Ex Fairway driver now saloon driver :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:30 pm 

My point is that it's a bit rich having a pop at drivers not doing wheel-chair work, sitting in a saloon car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:00 pm 
Sussex Man wrote:
My point is that it's a bit rich having a pop at drivers not doing wheel-chair work, sitting in a saloon car.

Been there got the T-shirt. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:27 am 

Nidge wrote:
Are the drivers going to be wheelchair friendly??? The lads in Dundee aren't, they belly ache about getting a WAV plate, when they get one they don't like doing WAV work because it takes to much time to load a WAV :? :? :? :? :? :? Makes you wonder don't it??

all plymouth HC's are already 100% WAV.

Post subject: WAV Demand.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:53 am 
steveo wrote:
Nidge wrote:

all plymouth HC's are already 100% WAV.

Shouldn't we be asking how many people are using WAV's. Supply well exceeds demand. Very few disabled people use taxis they think they are too expensive, they much rather get a Mobility vehicle. Someone do a survey and find out how many cash WAV jobs there are compared to other jobs. There must be provision for disabled passengers but it is out of all proportion to the demand. More people find a WAV a hinderance, (ie, elderly etc,) than an asset. My local social services tell me not to use WAV on their contract work unless one is requested for a w/c, they want saloons for the elderly and infirm and the transport of children. The value of a larger taxi is the additional seating. Demand for 5,6,7 seat vehicles in the evenings is growing rapidly. Here WAV demand has not changed in 15 years. One of our local Councillors is wheelchair bound and she voted against the issue of a new WAV hackney plate. The applicant claimed "Unmet demand" for W/C access vehicles.
My solution would be mixed fleets with saloons, WAV's, MPV's with incentives for WAV vehicles to ensure adaquate supply. Make them VAT exempt, reduced LA license fees fuel rebates etc. Carrot rather than stick. Then younger fitter drivers will be encouraged to get WAV's and the less agile older drivers can use saloons. The public get a choice of vehicles and disabled passengers get drivers who want to take them and not drivers who are legislated into taking them. This would greatly change the attitude of the drivers and improve the quality of service and then hopefully public perception of taxi drivers generally. We are not all naturally miserable gits, its a result of years in a trade where everyone knows how to do your job better than you and can't stop telling you...
T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:13 pm 

LOOKS LIKE ITS A GO FOR EUROCABS:

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133188&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133171&contentPK=10035310

EURO-STYLE TAXIS ARE SET TO BE ALLOWED ON CITY'S STREETS

12:00 - 21 May 2004

New European-style taxis are about to be introduced on Plymouth's streets.

'General' agreement has been reached between the city council and hackney carriage owners on changes to vehicle specifications which have remained largely unchanged since 1975.

The full council is now expected to rule in favour of the new taxis on Monday.

Drivers and owners had asked the council for permission to buy alternative vehicles to the traditional London black cab, and the Eurocab option for existing owners was conditionally approved in February, pending further discussions.

A report to the committee stated: "To alleviate any confusion between hackney carriage vehicles and private hire vehicles, all Eurocab vehicles first presented for licensing with Plymouth City Council should not be more than three years of age from first registration and must be black in colour."

The report followed a consultation with Plymouth cabbies and representatives of disability charity Shopmobility.

Eurocabs offer better access to wheelchair users, and also allow them the choice of facing either way.

Transport portfolio-holder Cllr George Wheeler said: "A number of hackney carriage owners and drivers have been asking for permission to use Eurocabs for some time. Hopefully, this will now proceed."

Chairman of the Plymouth Taxi Company Alan Heron, with a fleet of 120 cabs, said the move would give greater flexibility.

Mr Heron said: "It gives us more options, and more strings to your bow. It's a different type of vehicle."

Outstanding issues remain over specifications for private hire vehicles, and so no decision will yet be taken. Further discussions are due to be held with the private hire side of the trade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:34 pm 
Sussex wrote:

fair point Sussex,
a lot of salloon drivers like me do wheelchair work

dont forget that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:44 pm 
a lot of dundee drivers dont like doing wheelchair work because they still are not expierienced enough ive had one job this month and one last month, maybe once we get the taxicard this will change,the 5,6,7 seater market is still growing in dundee and quite often demand is higher than supply, its only thirteen days to the next council meeting many are watching to see if any more dual plates will jump on the wagon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:02 pm 

As I have said the odd once or twice, if drivers want to buy E7s etc then let them buy E7s etc.

If they want to get fleeced by LTI, then more fool them. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:34 pm 
i saw e7 today with a dartford council plate on it .they are too flimsy not up too the job ,tx1, is better ,more sturdy .people know and recongnize london style cabs all over . e7 waste of money just look on here say no more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:39 pm 

Well then buy one. But allow those who don't want to buy into the LTI monopoly to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:37 pm 
I reckon that now in Dundee,there is one WAV,for every three wheelchair,customers.
Regarding the 5,6,7 seaters that are now in demand,the growth of this end of the market,will tail off,as the months go by.
There is enough WAVS in Dundee now,as some wheelchair users,are going to the ranks in the town,and finding cabs there.
Cannot close the list now,as this would be illegal,but over the next few weeks/months,more saloon cars will give up,to be replaced with wavs.

Regarding the taxi-card scheme,this will have to be a two tier system,going back to the old book system for all wheelchair users,then you will get the true figure of the ammount of chair users there is,
Although this can be said,this system will DISCRIMINATING against the
Wheelchair user,as in theory they will only be able to use the voucher
system,not the swipe card that 203020 has the contract for.STRANGE JOE.