Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:07 pm 

I think we've been here before a few times, and there's nothing to stop any firm advertising as a taxi office.

The only control seems to be regarding markings on vehicles.

In London advertising is more tightly controlled, and the use of 'taxi' and 'cab' in advertising is restricted to the black cab trade.

It's often said that a firm only needs one taxi on its fleet to use the word, but when asked for a source for this it's never forthcoming.

As far as I'm concerned it's one of the nonsenses of the current set up, but of course the current legislation only needs tinkering with, and councils do know best, according to some at least.

Post subject: Re: HOW ABOUT THIS!!!
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:35 pm 

juls wrote:
A firm advertising as a TAXI firm by words Taxi and pictures of taxis on there bill boards and cards ect. If the have a p/h plated car on the firm surely the p/h would have to be fitted with a meter to come up or down to the same fair structure as what the council in our area sets?

From a customers point of view I would want all the firm's cars to charge the same rate, but from a legal point of view the PH can charge what they like as long as customers know how much that is.

I'm not sure your council can do much about it either, as they can only work with the law as it is, not how they would like it to be.

Well at least a few of them do. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:51 am 

Surely most Offices run mixed fleet - the Hacks sit on the ranks and advertise whilst the PH's clear up the work and earn better money. Same meter rates so who's in the right - £12k for a hack plate or £160 for a PH. Office rents are the same. Personally I think a mixed fleet works best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 am 

Skippy71 wrote:
Surely most Offices run mixed fleet - the Hacks sit on the ranks and advertise whilst the PH's clear up the work and earn better money. Same meter rates so who's in the right - £12k for a hack plate or £160 for a PH. Office rents are the same. Personally I think a mixed fleet works best.
Around here a hack is quite a bit more expensive than a P/H but when a H/C works within a P/h office,he charges there prices :-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:31 am 

Same meter rate / same Compliance test. The only difference is the £11.5k price for the plate and the privillage of sitting on a rank IF you can find one that the Council hasn't redeveloped! New WAV get free plate but don't actually have to pick up WCHs - Huh??? Now up to 190 hacks with 30 odd rank spaces. Radio rent the same white or yellow plate.

Post subject: Re: Mixed Fleets??????
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:22 pm 

this is worthy of a bump