It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:17 am 

26 Feb 2008

Spitting cab driver jailed

A CAB driver who spat on two parking wardens after he was given an
on-the-spot fine has been jailed.

Rukhsar Khan, aged 24, of Bertrand Road, Bolton, spat at a parking
warden after she issued his car with a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

Khan had left his private hire vehicle parked in a taxi rank, specifically
designated for Hackney carriage taxis, in Knowsley Street at around
3.15pm on May 29 last year.

The NCP parking warden issued the fine and was taking a picture of the
car as Khan returned.

He began shouting abuse and obscenities at the woman, aged 38, and
then spat on her, before throwing a plastic bottle at her and driving off.

The attendant, who asked not to be named, said: "He just got in the car,
put his window down, and spat at me. It hit me on my trousers. Five
members of the public saw it and started shouting at him, saying it was disgusting."

The parking warden then made her way to Palatine Street, Bolton, where
she had radioed her supervisor who was meeting her with a "spit-kit" to
take a sample of the man's DNA.

"While I was there, the driver of the taxi drove back round and got of his
car and started asking me why I was causing trouble and started shouting
more abuse."

Khan, who was driving for Metro Cars at the time, then spat again, this
time at the NCP supervisor who had stood in front of his colleague in a bid
to protect her.

The parking attendant, who has been in the job for five years, said she
was really shaken up by the incident and thought that she was going to be assaulted.

"I felt sick. For me, it's the lowest form of assault. I was over the moon
when he got sent to jail. We are not the best-liked people in the world but
we shouldn't have to put up with that," she added.

Khan pleaded guilty to common assault and was sentenced to two months
in jail when he appeared before Bolton magistrates on February 18.

He was also given a further four months after admitting a separate charge
of possession of a class C drug.

Nigel Coltman, head of on-street NCP services, said: "This was a
particularly unpleasant and aggressive incident and we are pleased to see
that the court has taken a hard line against this individual."

Insp Ian Parker, of Bolton Police, added: "These people were just doing
their job when this unwarranted attack took place. We take assaults like
this very seriously and we will pursue the maximum sentence every time."

Source: Bolton News
----------
Disclaimer
These press articles are intended for informational purposes only.
Statements and opinions expressed in these articles are solely those of the original Publisher.
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of any of these articles, and therefore I am not liable for any information contained therein.
Where possible, the Publisher and the source are documented within each article.
Any author that holds legal copyright, and objects to their material being posted, may request that it be removed and any future material excluded.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:50 am 

Cybro wrote:
Insp Ian Parker, of Bolton Police, added: "These people were just doingtheir job when this unwarranted attack took place. We take assaults like this very seriously and we will pursue the maximum sentence every time."

Its a pity the police don't protect cab drivers in the same way they protect parking wardens.

The next time a cabby gets spat on in Bolton they should go straight to this guy but I don't expect any action.

I have to mention the sentencing discrepancies in this country because it seems ludicrous to me that a cabby can get a beating and the assailant only gets a fine or something similar, yet a person who spits on a parking warden gets two months jail.

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:27 am 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
[quote="JD"] yet a person who spits on a parking warden gets two months jail.JD[/quote

fraid its a crime against the State, you have only got to look at the Great Train robber Ronnie Biggs,

another example is that 73 year old man ex army Regimental Sgt Major [RSM] who refused to pay his council tax, jailed, crime against the State

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:33 am 

JD wrote:
Cybro wrote:
Insp Ian Parker, of Bolton Police, added: "These people were just doingtheir job when this unwarranted attack took place. We take assaults like this very seriously and we will pursue the maximum sentence every time."

Its a pity the police don't protect cab drivers in the same way they protect parking wardens.

The next time a cabby gets spat on in Bolton they should go straight to this guy but I don't expect any action.

I have to mention the sentencing discrepancies in this country because it seems ludicrous to me that a cabby can get a beating and the assailant only gets a fine or something similar, yet a person who spits on a parking warden gets two months jail.

Regards

JD

Should have got two years.

For parking on a taxi rank in a PH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:30 pm 

Did he pay the parking ticket? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:03 pm 

Stinky Pete wrote:
fraid its a crime against the State, you have only got to look at the Great Train robber Ronnie Biggs,

another example is that 73 year old man ex army Regimental Sgt Major [RSM] who refused to pay his council tax, jailed, crime against the State

I was under the impression that in this country the punishment is supposed to fit the crime, two month jail for a common assault on a first offence for spitting, is a little extreme in my opinion. In the grand scheme of things some might find the action trivial. Wasn't there a Liverpool footballer named Diouf who recieved a fine for spitting at fans?

"Intentionally" refusing to pay council tax is a statutory offence so I'm confused as to how you come up with the assumption that its a crime against the state? Doesn't the Local Government Finance Act 1992 cater for that particular offence?

Weren't the Great train Robbers indicted on numerous charges but as far as I recall none were for crimes against the state.

Unless of course you class a crime against the state as meaning any offence that just happens to involve an official public body. In which case you would be wrong.

Maybe you can clarify what you mean because spitting on a traffic warden has never before been described as a crime against the sate. What it has been described as is common assault, or Battery but never a crime against the sate.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:08 pm 

HES A TOUT AND GOT NICKED HA HA HA HA POOR..... MR KHAN.. OK BOSS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:19 pm 

Quote:
Intentionally"
Quote:
refusing to pay council tax is a statutory offence
so I'm confused as to how you come up with the assumption that its a crime against the state? Doesn't the Local Government Finance Act 1992 cater for that particular offence?

Not in Scotland JD, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:10 pm 

JD wrote:
Stinky Pete wrote:

I was under the impression that in this country the punishment is supposed to fit the crime, two month jail for a common assault on a first offence for spitting, is a little extreme in my opinion. In the grand scheme of things some might find the action trivial. Wasn't there a Liverpool footballer named Diouf who recieved a fine for spitting at fans?

"Intentionally" refusing to pay council tax is a statutory offence so I'm confused as to how you come up with the assumption that its a crime against the state? Doesn't the Local Government Finance Act 1992 cater for that particular offence?

Weren't the Great train Robbers indicted on numerous charges but as far as I recall none were for crimes against the state.

Unless of course you class a crime against the state as meaning any offence that just happens to involve an official public body. In which case you would be wrong.

Maybe you can clarify what you mean because spitting on a traffic warden has never before been described as a crime against the sate. What it has been described as is common assault, or Battery but never a crime against the sate.

Regards

JD

JD I think you will find that S.P is right.

Look back through the sentencing of practically of anything you like, and you will find that if it has a link to the state OR government whatever you want to call it, then the perpretrator will get a much stiffer punishment than normal.

The Great train robbery was I think linked to the post office (gov dept), the Traffic wardens are basically a state/gov dept, so I think this is where S.P is coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:18 pm 

cabby john wrote:
JD I think you will find that S.P is right.

Look back through the sentencing of practically of anything you like, and you will find that if it has a link to the state OR government whatever you want to call it, then the perpretrator will get a much stiffer punishment than normal.

The Great train robbery was I think linked to the post office (gov dept), the Traffic wardens are basically a state/gov dept, so I think this is where S.P is coming from.

SP would have been right if he had used the words "public servant" instead of saying "crime against the state". I might have agreed with him in that case but crimes against the state are normally reserved for such things as Terrorism, spying, Treason, etc.

The great train robbers some of which were,

Charles Frederick Wilson, Ronald Arthur Biggs, Roy John James, James Hussey, Thomas William Wisbey, Robert Alfred Welch, William Gerald Boal, Roger John Cordrey, Brian Arthur Field, Leonard Denis Field, and John Denby Wheater.

were charged with, the following counts on which they all appealed

Count 1 (against all appellants and one Douglas Gordon Goody), conspiracy to stop a mail,

the particulars of the offence alleging that they, on divers days between 1 May and 9 August 1963, in the county of Buckingham conspired together and with other persons not in custody to stop a mail with intent to rob the mail.

Count 2 (against the same accused as those charged on count 1, except Wheater), robbery with aggravation, the particulars of the offence alleging that they, on 8 August 1963, in the county of Buckingham being armed with offensive weapons robbed Frank Dewhurst of one hundred and twenty mail bags.

Counts 3, 4 and 5 (against the appellant Cordrey), receiving contrary to s 54 of the Post Office Act, 1953, on a day unknown between 7 August and 15, 1963, the respective sums of £78,982, £56,047 and £5,910, in money, the property of the Postmaster General, knowing the same to have been stolen from and out of a mail bag and to have been sent by post.

Counts 6, 7 and 8 (against the appellant Boal), receiving contrary to s 54, on a day unknown between 7 August and 15, 1963, the same amounts in the same circumstances as alleged in counts 3 to 5.

Counts 9 and 10 (against the appellant James), receiving contrary to s 54, on a day unknown between 7 August and 11 December 1963, £12,041 in money and two £5 Bank of England notes, the property of the Postmaster General knowing the same to have been stolen from and out of a mail bag and to have been sent by post.

Count 11 (against the appellant Brian Arthur Field), receiving contrary to s 54, on a day unknown between 7 August and 17, 1963, £100,900 in money, the property of the Postmaster General, knowing the same to have been stolen from and out of a mail bag and to have been sent by post.

Count 12 as amended (against the appellants Brian Arthur Field, Leonard Denis Field and John Denby Wheater), conspiracy to obstruct the course of justice, the particulars of the offence alleging that they, on divers days between 7 August and 17 September 1963, in the county of Buckingham, conspired together to conceal the identity of the person who had agreed to purchase Leatherslade Farm, Brill, in the county of Buckingham, by making false statements to police officers engaged in the investigation of the stopping of a mail at Cheddington in the county of Buckingham on 8 August 1963, and of the stealing of one hundred and twenty mail bags from Frank Dewhurst and thereby to obstruct the course of public justice.

The appellant Cordrey pleaded guilty to counts 1, 3, 4 and 5. On 26 March 1964, the appellants Boal, Wilson, Wisbey, Welch, Hussey, James and Goody were convicted on these counts on 15 April 1964; the appellants Brian Arthur Field and Leonard Denis Field were convicted on counts 1 and 12, and the appellant Wheater was convicted on count 12.

The jury were discharged from giving a verdict on counts 6, 7 and 8 in respect of the appellant Boal, and on counts 9 and 10 in respect of the appellant James.

The appellant Brian Arthur Field was found not guilty on counts 2 and 11, the appellant Leonard Denis Field was found not guilty (by direction of the trial judge) on count 2, and the appellant Wheater was found not guilty on count 1. On 16 April 1964, the appellants,

Wilson, Biggs, James, Hussey, Wisbey and Welch were sentenced to twenty-five years' imprisonment on count 1 and to thirty years' imprisonment concurrent on count 2; the appellant Cordrey to twenty years' imprisonment concurrent on counts 1, 3, 4 and 5; the appellant Boal to twenty-one years' imprisonment on count 1 and to twenty-four years' imprisonment concurrent on count 2; the appellants Brian Arthur Field and Leonard Denis Field both to twenty-five years' imprisonment on count 1 and to five years' concurrent on count 12, and the appellant Wheater to three years' imprisonment on count 12. All appellants, save the appellant Cordrey, appealed against their convictions, and all the appellants including Cordrey appealed against their sentences.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:31 am 

An NCP parking warden is not a traffic warden is she?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:16 am 

gusmac wrote:

I think you will find spitting is 'common assault' for everyone. If it is aimed at a victim serving the public, then that aggravates the assault and moves it up to a custody level.

So in theory it should also apply to the likes of us. :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:33 am 

gusmac wrote:

Since decriminalisation of most parking offences most local authorities run their own parking enforcement. The National Car Parks are just one organisation that run the scheme in the Northwest. They also have the contract in Manchester.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:23 am 

Just three months prior to the private hire spitting incident the same Magistrates court took a very different view to an assault on a Traffic warden. I just wonder where the consistency lies with these people?

Traffic warden ticket row landlord in court

By Jane Lavender

A former pub landlord knocked a traffic warden to the ground during a row over a ticket, a court heard.

Nick Hogan spotted parking attendant, David Marsh, as he was about to slap a fine on the windscreen of his cigarette delivery man's car.

He snatched the ticket off Mr Marsh and in doing do, caused him to fall over.

Hogan, aged 40, the former licensee of The Swan and Barristers Bar in Churchgate, agreed to be bound over to keep the peace in the sum of £100.

Bolton Magistrates' Court heard the incident took place on March 31 this year when traffic warden, David Marsh, spotted a car parked illegally in a loading area outside The Swan in Churchgate.

Mr Marsh began the process of issuing a ticket on his hand-held computer and five minutes later was placing the ticket on the windscreen of the car, which belonged to a man loading cigarettes into a machine in the pub.

Hogan saw the ticket being issued, then walked out of his pub and snatched the piece of paper from the traffic warden, causing him to fall over.

The cigarette distributor drove his car away a few minutes later and the ticket was not upheld. But the incident was reported to police.

Hogan's solicitor, Paul Tonge, admitted in court today that his client was ashamed of his actions.

He said: "Words were exchanged and Mr Hogan accepts he was out of order."

Hogan, who was the licensee of The Swan Hotel and Barristers in Bolton town centre, is alleged to have openly defied July's smoking ban by allowing people to light up in his pubs.

He left The Swan and Barristers earlier this month after selling his lease.

The rebel landlord is due to appear at Bolton Magistrates Court for trial on January 28 after denying five counts of failing to prevent people from smoking in his pubs and four of obstructing council officers.

Mr Hogan, who still runs The Swan With Two Necks in Chorley, said: "I'm glad this is over because I really wanted to get it out of the way.

"I feel it's a vindication for me because I now have no charges against me, but once again the taxpayers money has been wasted."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:32 am 

Another highly consistent sentence for assault from Bolton Magistrates. A girl gets beaten unconscious from an unprovoked attack and the culprits walk away with a slap on the wrist.

No custody for girls found guilty of assault

The Bolton News

FOUR teenage girls have avoided being locked up after they were found guilty of kicking a 15-year-old girl unconscious.

Aften Dean was left with footprints on her head after she was attacked while walking through Heaton cemetery on July 24 last year.

Her attackers, who wanted to steal her hat, only stopped their assault when two workmen who had been driving past chased them away.

The girls, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were found guilty of causing actual bodily harm after a witness gave evidence via a video link from Australia.

However, they were spared youth custody when they were sentenced by Bolton magistrates yesterday.

Presiding magistrate Valerie Coward, told them: "This was an horrendous attack upon an innocent young girl. We take these matters very seriously." (but not as seriously as spitting on a traffic Warden)

Mrs Coward said the girls, aged 14, 15 and two aged 16, were close to being sent into custody, but she instead gave them each 12-month probation orders and ordered them to pay Aften £1,000 in compensation.

Aften, a pupil at Mount St Joseph School in Great Lever, was walking through the cemetery with her 13-year-old nephew, Kieran, at 4.30pm when the girls struck.

One grabbed the hat off her head and when she asked for it back, the girls began kicking and punching her.

They continued as Aften lay on the ground, ripping out her earrings.

Builders Eric Tong and Jeff Scott stopped the attack and took Aften home. She sustained a bruised and swollen face and cuts on her ears.

Kieran gave evidence to the court during last month's trial via a video link from Australia, where emigrated with his father in January.

Two of the girls, aged 16 and 15, were ordered to complete work on alcohol abuse and victim empathy as part of their referral orders.

The other 16-year-old defendant was given a community rehabilitation order and was placed under curfew from 8pm until 7am and ordered to wear an electronic tag for three months.

The 14-year-old was given a supervision order and the same curfew conditions.

And yet another consistent sentence for assault.

August 4, 2007 Saturday

Supermarket assault man told to pay compensation

The Bolton News

A MAN has been ordered to pay compensation to his victim after he punched him repeatedly in a Bolton supermarket.

John William Lee, aged 24, of Fortune Street, Burnden, chased Colin Irvine, also aged 24, through the aisles of the Asda store in Burnden at on July 18. Lee caught up with Mr Irvine by the checkouts and began punching him in the head as stunned shoppers phoned the police.

Bolton magistrates court was told yesterday that the attack stemmed from a previous disagreement between the men. Mr Irvine managed to escape from his attacker and Lee was arrested as he walked home.

Lee, who admitted assault by battery, was ordered to pay £150 compensation and costs of £50 and undergo a programme to help him manage his behaviour.