Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:46 am 

And finally this is the last I'm posting because it is becoming repetitive but I could post many more of these inconsistencies. Perhaps it has become apparent why I think the spitting sentence is excessive for a first time offender, especially when you consider these other verdicts of Bolton Magistrates court. I might add that the private hire driver was only charged with common assault.

March 27, 2007 Tuesday

Man pleads guilty to attack on taxi driver

The Bolton News

AN ANGRY passenger threw his pint glass at a taxi window before punching the driver in the face.

Peter Cooper, aged 23, of Harper Green Road, Farnworth, had been drinking since midday when he got into the cab at about 9pm on December 16 last year, Bolton magistrates heard.

As cabbie Basharat Ahmed collected Cooper and a friend from the Railway Hotel in Egerton Street, Farnworth, he saw the pint glass in his hand and warned him not to spill any lager.

However, shortly before he got home, Cooper spilt some of his drink and Mr Ahmed demanded a £15 valeting fee on top of the fare. Cooper told the driver he would clean the car himself and asked him to bring it to his house the following morning.

Jane Potter, defending, said Mr Ahmed was unhappy about this and as the pair got out of the cab, he wound down his window and was verbally abusive.

Cooper accepted that he threw a glass at the closed window, which smashed. He then opened the driver's door and punched Mr Ahmed once, causing his face to swell, the court heard.

Cooper admitted criminal damage, assault and breach of police bail. Magistrates ordered him to pay £125 compensation for the smashed window and Mr Ahmed's injuries and £60 costs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:49 am 

theres always more than meets the eye, but I tend to agree with JD :shock: :shock: :shock:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 am 

Spittin has become the lowest of the low since HIV/AIDS. It was believed then and still is by some that the HIV virus can be passed on by spitting at some one. They even changed the penalties handed out by the Football Association for spitting. The fine and ban were trebled. You could get a longer ban and larger fine for spitting at another player than for a reckless challenge that breaks a players leg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:27 pm 

Spitting is disgusting. Lets hope his license is revoked.

Sadly after reading the story, I'm not suprised. Visit E1 for more info. :roll: