Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:03 pm 

Consultation document

Minister's statement

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:27 pm 

Surely option 2 is as wishy washy an option as you will ever see, maybe they should call it option 1B? :?

2.13 The options are:

* a ‘do nothing’ option – that is, leaving the market, the trade and local licensing authorities to continue to make local decisions on the make-up of the taxi and private hire fleet and levels of accessibility, without any additional Government guidance or intervention;
* implementing a pro-active programme of DfT led initiatives that would involve measures such as issuing technical standards as an advisory note, guidance to local licensing authorities, a demonstration scheme, additional enforcement provisions and making best use of other Government policy levers; and
* regulation: either using the regulation-making powers that are currently in part 5 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, or seeking new or amended regulatory-making powers at the next legislative opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:39 pm 

The DfT can't answer the $64,000 question either. :roll:

We have concluded that regulating for a certain proportion of the fleet being wheelchair accessible and a certain proportion being saloon cars would be unworkable, as it would be open to legal challenge and there would be practical implementation problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:23 pm 

I never thought they would include limousines, how the hell will you make one of them wheelchair accessible :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 pm 

MR T wrote:
I never thought they would include limousines, how the hell will you make one of them wheelchair accessible :wink:

I'm having a de ja vu did I just see this and reply to it somewhere else or am I going mad :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:12 pm 

Quote:
1.11 This consultation is not considering some of the wider issues that might relate to taxi policy and licensing. The DfT is intending to re-issue its best practice guidance on taxi and private-hire licensing later in 2009.

Hmmmmm! :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:22 pm 

And of course talking meters will be cheap.

Will they have to talk in various languages for non-English WAV punters? ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:22 pm 

saloon car vehicles – these vehicles are conventional cars and are not accessible to wheelchair users. They meet the needs of many people, including those with an ambulatory disability. As well as saloons, they may be hatchbacks or estate cars. They can be licensed as hackney carriages in some areas, depending on the policy of the local licensing authority. The private hire taxi fleet is almost entirely made up of saloon cars;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:26 pm 

MR T wrote:
saloon car vehicles – these vehicles are conventional cars and are not accessible to wheelchair users. They meet the needs of many people, including those with an ambulatory disability. As well as saloons, they may be hatchbacks or estate cars. They can be licensed as hackney carriages in some areas, depending on the policy of the local licensing authority. The private hire taxi fleet is almost entirely made up of saloon cars;

Load of bollox I've had wheelchair users in my vehicle, obviously minus the wheelchair which goes in the boot. I think this man needs to ensure the information he relates is accurate. I'm sure he meant not WAV's but he should say so :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:54 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

Load of bollox I've had wheelchair users in my vehicle, obviously minus the wheelchair which goes in the boot. I think this man needs to ensure the information he relates is accurate. I'm sure he meant not WAV's but he should say so :roll:

I think he was refering to people who can't get out of their wheelchair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:13 pm 

Well unless LTI have a magic wand none of there vehicles will comply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:20 pm 

I've had a scan through it and, from what I can make out, each option has a number of disadvantages. There does not appear to be evidence of an excessive shortage of suitable vehicles in the report. I can only see a 'do nothing' option as the only viable option.

IMHO, anything else, backed by regulation is regulation for the sake of regulation. But, of course, we are talking about a centralist, big, nanny state government!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:25 pm 

cabbyman wrote:
I can only see a 'do nothing' option as the only viable option.

The thing with that is that the original act said something must be done, and they would have to repeal that to do nothing.

I think the best way forward is option three, and have a set criteria laid down not just on the vehicles, but more importantly, IMO, the areas needing to go 100% WAV.

If you work out in the countryside with the cows, then no 100% WAVs. If you work in a city with loads of tourists then 100% WAVs. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:34 pm 

One of the things that could be done and thats abolish the turning circle requirement, so that owners have a choice of vehicles, especially where a WAV has been made manditory, LTI could then stretch there cabs to take a chair in the proper manor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:46 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

Ive had wheel chair users in my Saloon Many times to....in fact most wheelchair users seem happy sidling over from wheelchair to Saloon car seat..if the didnt they'd be booking WAVs, also the vast majority of wheelchair using drivers use saloon cars.

why is it when the word Disabled surfaces its assumed everyone want to sit bolt upright in a wheelchair when infact the vast majoirty dont...

Im sure Disabled clients Rate the Drivers Manner and level of Assistance and courtesy way above that of Vehicles wheelchair Access...why dont the Government see it as it is..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next