Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:49 pm 

This might raise a few eyebrows?

Warriner v York City Council

Queen's Bench Division (Crown Office List)

HEARING-DATES: 6 May 1992

COUNSEL:
D Zucker for the Appellant; D McGonigal for the Respondent

PANEL: MacPherson J

JUDGMENTBY-1: MACPHERSON J

JUDGMENT-1:

MACPHERSON J: This is a case stated by justices for the county of North Yorkshire. On 1st August 1990 a complaint was preferred by the appellant, whose name is DJ Warriner, against the respondent, the York City Council, in that on 31st July 1990 the Council refused to renew a Hackney Carriage Proprietor's Licence which expired on 31st May 1990.

The facts found by the magistrates are very simple and straightforward. I recite them. The appellant had passed his driving test in 1956. He had only one motoring conviction for speeding while driving a heavy goods vehicle in 1980. He had for some time held a hackney carriage driver's licence -- I stress the word "driver's" -- and had worked for three different proprietors. It was accepted by the Council that his ability to drive a hackney carriage was not open to question. I stress that word "driver's" because it is apparent to all that there are two sorts of licence with which the court is concerned, first, a driver's licence, which is one thing, and, secondly, a hackney carriage vehicle licence, which is a wholly separate thing.

As to that, the position was that the appellant had worked for a Mrs Stead who held three such vehicle licences up to the date of her death in February 1990. The executors transferred licence No 64, one of those licences, and the Council duly registered the transfer of the licence, pursuant to the law, to the appellant. But the time then came when the licence had to be renewed, because such licences are annual and have to be renewed each year.

The appellant was written to by the Council indicating that the licence would not be renewed in his name because the Council had a policy of allocating plates, that is to say granting hackney carriage vehicle licences, to the next person on the waiting list who wanted one. They are of course valuable things because the Council has to ration the number of plates in accordance with the Act and in accordance with the provisions in respect of unmet demand, to which I have been referred.

The position was that the county had formulated a policy of such allocation in turn in order to have a fair system of allotment. The Council had as a matter of history deemed that 150 carriage proprietor's licences should be issued and 160 hackney carriage driver's licences in their own jurisdiction. There were in fact 234 people on the waiting list, 17 of whom had been there for more than ten years. The court was referred to the relevant minutes of the committee and subcommittees of the Council in respect of the making of the policy in accordance with the democratic process. The Council refused to renew the hackney carriage proprietor's licence and said why they did so in a letter dated 18th June.

Two points arise in this case, but before dealing with that I deal with some general matters as to which there is no dispute. As I have already indicated, the licence is granted to a carriage and not to its owner. Provided a vehicle continues to meet the licensing condition of fitness imposed by the Council, the appellant says that there is no ground upon which the Council could revoke or refuse to renew the licence at the end of the licensing period.

There are two questions which arise. The first argument raised by the appellant is that the relevant section limits the grounds of refusal under section 61(c) to grounds which are ejusdem generis, that is to say of the same genus as the other grounds set out in either (a) or (b) or both.

Mr Zucker looks at the section and attempts to make good that argument. The section reads as follows:

"60(1) Notwithstanding anything in the Act of 1847 or in this Part of this Act, a district council may suspend or revoke, or (on application therefor under section 40 of the Act of 1847 or section 48 of this Act, as the case may be) refuse to renew a vehicle licence on any of the following grounds:-

(a) that the hackney carriage or private hire vehicle is unfit for use as a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle;

(b) any offence under, or non-compliance with, the provisions of the Act of 1847 or of this Part of this Act by the operator or driver; or

(c) any other reasonable cause."

Mr Zucker accepts that subsection (1)(a), which has only one species, namely the unfitness for use as a hackney carriage, does not itself create a genus. He says that since there is more than one species of matter dealt with in subsection (1)(b) there is there the possibility of a genus to which subsection 1(c) could be applied. Furthermore, he argues that the word "or" after subsection (1)(b) supports the contention that section (1)(c) is to be read together with section (1)(b).

The ejusdem generis rule, otherwise known as Lord Tenterden's rule, can be stated as follows. I read from Stroud's Judicial Dictionary, fifth edition, volume 3 at page 1799:

"Where a statute, or other document, enumerates several classes of persons or things, and immediately following and classed with such enumeration the clause embraces 'other' persons or things -- the word 'other' will generally be read as 'other such like,' so that the persons or things therein comprised may be read as ejusdem generis with, and not of a quality superior to, or different from, those specifically enumerated."

There are many examples given in Stroud, and I cite simply one at page 1800 for example:

"(vi) So, the words 'or other agent' . . . had to be read as ejusdem generis with 'banker, merchant, broker, attorney,' with which they were there associated . . .".

Similarly, and this was the example cited by Mr McGonigal, an act which enacted that no tradesman, artificer, workman, labourer or other person whatsoever should exercise his ordinary calling on the Lord's day did not include in the phrase, "or other person whatsoever", an attorney or a solicitor, or a stagecoachman. What the law envisaged was only perhaps that those who work literally with their hands should be governed by the relevant section. That is the principle which applies.

Mr McGonigal in his argument indicates that there is no particular class of persons or things being described either in (a) or (b) and no common feature or genus. He says that section 61 simply sets out three separate grounds on which a District Council can suspend, revoke or refuse to renew a vehicle licence. In my judgment, Mr McGonigal's argument prevails. It seems to me plain, looking at the section, that Parliament had decided that they would list two specific and clear instances where a local authority might refuse to renew, namely where a vehicle was unfit or where a person had been involved with a breach of the law in respect of hackney carriages. That is because the Act of 1847 was an Act which set out various matters governing those who use hackney carriages. For example, plying for hire illegally is an offence against one of the sections of the 1847 Act. It seems to me that any other reasonable cause is distinct and separate and specifically so from the matters set out in (a) and (b). That then disposes of the ejusdem generis argument.

Mr Zucker, however, goes on to say that in his submission a policy, such as I have described, is not a cause within the meaning of section 61(c). He says that ground and cause are differently defined in dictionaries, and he says that "any other reasonable cause" cannot embrace a policy as set out by the Council in this case.

In the case of Cook v Southend Borough Council there was a policy considered by the Court of Appeal. It was of course a completely different policy from the one with which I am concerned, but the court indicated that a policy could be a matter coming within the relevant subsection. It seems to me that in the present case there is no reason why the Council should not use section 61(c) to implement the policy which has ruled for many years. There are no words in subsection (c) limiting the nature of reasonable causes which may give rise to a district council's refusal to renew a vehicle licence, and indeed the use of the word "any" as Mr McGonigal submits suggests an unrestricted range of reasonable causes. Parliament gave wide powers to district councils, and this district council has decided that it is right and fair, particularly fair, that they should adopt the policy of following the names on the list in order that others should not be able to jump the queue by getting their hands on the vehicle and then compelling the local authority to transfer or to renew the licence in their name.

It is suggested that the court is not being asked to determine whether the policy in this case was reasonable, but it seems to me right that I should look at that aspect of the case. It seems to me that it cannot fairly be argued that the policy is unreasonable. If it is fair, prima facie, it is reasonable. It seems to me that it is evidently fair, in circumstances where these licences are valuable and much in demand, that a sensible policy of queuing for them should be adopted. In so far as I am allowed to say so, it seems to me that the policy which was adopted by this local Council was in itself reasonable.

The actual question asked by the magistrates for the opinion of the High Court is:

"Does section 60(1)(c) limit the grounds of refusal to matters ejusdem generis with the other grounds set out in (a) and (b) or does that section give the Council wider powers of refusal so as to give effect to any policy that they may have?"

The answer to the question will be apparent from the judgment which I have already given. In my judgment, it certainly allows the Council to give effect to any reasonable policy that they may have adopted.

The appeal is therefore dismissed in accordance with the answer to the question which I have given.

DISPOSITION:
Appeal dismissed

SOLICITORS:
Mitchells, York; R Clark, Head of Legal Services

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:39 pm 

So the best way to avoid this problem, if it is a problem is to nominate your next of kin, or other half, or whoever, as a partner on your licence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:56 pm 

jimbo wrote:
So the best way to avoid this problem, if it is a problem is to nominate your next of kin, or other half, or whoever, as a partner on your licence?

Something like that. I'll phone York Tomorrow and ask them why they discriminate against the beneficiaries of the deceased? Just think if the Gentleman in question had come to a financial arrangement with the executers of the estate where he actualy paid a sum of money for the transfer?

If Mr Warriner is still around perhaps he might wish to discuss the matter?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:58 pm 

Location: Grim North, Carrot Crunchers and Codhead Country, North of Watford Gap
JD wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Something like that. I'll phone York Tomorrow and ask them why they discrimante against the beneficiaries of the deceased? Just think if the Gentleman in question had come to a financial arrangement with the executers of the estate where he actualy paid a sum of money for the transfer?

If Mr Warriner is still around perhaps he might wish to discuss the matter?

Regards

JD

I am not sure if Derrick [Mr Warriner] is still around, i have not seen him for years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:38 am 

Stinky Pete wrote:
I am not sure if Derrick [Mr Warriner] is still around, i have not seen him for years

Any idea what happened to the other two plates?

Regards

JD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:34 am 

JD wrote:
This might raise a few eyebrows?

The actual question asked by the magistrates for the opinion of the High Court is:

"Does section 60(1)(c) limit the grounds of refusal to matters ejusdem generis with the other grounds set out in (a) and (b) or does that section give the Council wider powers of refusal so as to give effect to any policy that they may have?"

The answer to the question will be apparent from the judgment which I have already given. In my judgment, it certainly allows the Council to give effect to any reasonable policy that they may have adopted.

The appeal is therefore dismissed in accordance with the answer to the question which I have given.

The more I look into this decision and previous decisions which are analogous to this one, the more I am convinced that councils if they wished, could have in place a policy such as the one in York in 1992 and stop licenses being traded.

In my opinion it therefore follows, that even though a license holder cannot legally be prohibited from transfering a license, a council who has a bone fide policy of controling such licenses in the interest of fair allocation, such as was the case in York in 1992, could if they wished, refuse to renew any license that has been transferred. Thus instantly making plate values worthless for the purpose of transfer.

Having found the Warriner case and originally sounded a cogent warning at the decision of the court, as can be seen by my initial comments as a fore runner to this case, I now find myself on further investigation practically convinced that subject to appeal, plates in England and Wales are now "worthless", certainly as far as transfers are concerned but providing a council has in place a policy similar to that mentioned in this case.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:31 am 

Would the Royden case not make it very hard under the HR Act to not re-issue the license?

Unless of course the new owner is not fit and proper. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:42 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Would the Royden case not make it very hard under the HR Act to not re-issue the license?

Unless of course the new owner is not fit and proper. :?

Article 1 of the first Protocol but in the Royden case the license wasn't deemed a possession. The only reservation I have is that a court may consider the renewal of the license to be an extension of the existing license and not a new application.

I think the court will ask itself whether or not a licensing authority by law can legally have in place a policy that gives them control over who is granted a proprietors license? If we take the Human rights act out of the equation for the time being and go back to 1992 we can see that the courts have already said yes they can. What we need to ask ourselves in 2007 is, does the introduction of the Human rights act make such a policy illegal?

The York case pre dates the ECHR so it would be interesting to see if the ruling comes within the confines of the act? The distinction between Royden and the York case is that the license holder was deprived of his livelihood and that might well have a bearing on the issue? However that is debatable when you consider what Bellamy said about expectation of license revocation and the analogy he made with the ECHR case of Fredin where a license permit that was in force over a Gravel pit was ultimately revoked by the Swedish Government through no fault of the Fredins.

As I previously stated I think a court would ask itself does a council have the right to a policy that ensures they have control over the vehicle licenses they issue and does that policy infringe on any article in the convention of human rights? It would make an interesting case considering Bellamy has already come to the conclusion that a taxi license for the purpose of monetary value is not a possession.

Article 1 of the First Protocol to the ECHR provides:

"Protection of property

Every natural or legal person is entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of his possessions. No one shall be deprived of his possessions except in the public interest and subject to the conditions provided by law and by the general principles of international law.

The preceding provisions shall not, however, in any way impair the right of the State to enforce such laws as it deems necessary to control the use of property in accordance with the general interest or to secure the payment of taxes or other contributions or penalties."

Royden claimed that his "hackney carriage vehicle licence" was a "possession" for the purposes of Article 1.

He then said the council decision to remove restrictions constituted an "interference" with the peaceful enjoyment of his possessions contrary to Article 1. He claimed the result of that decision was to eliminate the premium value of his licence and threaten his ability to make a living using his licensed hackney carriage vehicle.

Royden submitted that this interference with the peaceful enjoyment of his possessions can be justified under Article 1 to the First Protocol only if (i) it is in the public interest; and (ii) the requirement of proportionality is satisfied. In particular, there must be "a reasonable relationship of proportionality between the means used and the aim sought to be realised":

Wirral council said, as regards Article 1 of the First Protocol of the ECHR, a hackney carriage vehicle licence issued pursuant to section 37 of the Act of 1847 is not "a possession". Moreover, under section 43 of that Act the licence lasts for one year only. Pursuant to section 60(1) of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, a licence holder may be deprived of his licence, notably, for "any other reasonable cause". "Any other reasonable cause" has been widely construed but in two cases cited, under the circumstances, the claimant had no legitimate expectation of the lasting nature of the licence.

Bellamy went on to say,

I would only add that it is apparent from Fredin's case, that the fact that the applicants had made investments subsequently to a change in the law which permitted their licence to be revoked, meant that the applicants had no legitimate expectation that the licence would not be revoked. Hence, it was held, the applicants had no ground for arguing that the revocation of the licence was disproportionate on the basis that they had lost their investment.

It seems to me that that general approach is equally applicable in the present case, even assuming that, unlike Mr Royden himself, some of his colleagues had in fact paid a premium at the time of acquiring their licences.

The difference in the last paragragh and our own legislation is that the prospect of revocation is built into our own legislation and therefore any person obtaining a license already knows that the license at any time could be revoked, such was the case in York.

Although I share your reservations about the Human Rights act I have an open mind on the outcome of any decision in respect of constructive revocation in the interest of fairness.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 pm 

I was wondering if this policy is actually workable, if indeed it is deemed legal by the court of appeal?

What would happen if a proprietor who wanted to sell his cab but couldn't under such a policy, got around that policy restriction by transferring a share in the vehicle license to a partner? The council couldn't refuse such a transaction and all the original owner would have to do is transfer his half share of the vehicle over to the partner at a later date, say perhaps one or two years?

Perhaps the York judgement is erroneous and the court of appeal would actually take the view that the renewal is just an extension of the license and unless the person renewing the license was not fit and proper then it must be renewed.

I think a High court case is needed to determine these factors otherwise you might get more instances like York which only occurred because of a death.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:54 pm 

JD wrote:
What would happen if a proprietor who wanted to sell his cab but couldn't under such a policy, got around that policy restriction by transferring a share in the vehicle license to a partner? The council couldn't refuse such a transaction and all the original owner would have to do is transfer his half share of the vehicle over to the partner at a later date, say perhaps one or two years?

Isn't that what happens up there in the land of the cold and wet ? :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:32 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

Isn't that what happens up there in the land of the cold and wet ? :roll: :roll:

It is indeed. lol but this case and the policy to which it refers is not so cut and dried as I perhaps thought?

Regards

JD