Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:40 am 

I remember when I started my first bsu company in about 1992, doing a job to Savernake Forest and meeting another coach company there, they told me it usually takes about 7 years for a new business to become self-reliant. they were right. the same might also apply to the taxi/ph trade.

Luckily where I am, we are all independant and don't have to rely on those who control the radio waves! There's the newbies who charge stupidly low prices and don't last long, and a few, and I mean few, who charge sensibly and have lasted the course.

It beats me WHY drivers are prepared to work and LOSE MONEY just to take a fare! The newbies here are losing money evry time they get in their cars! I'm not making much, but at least I'm making something. If I don't get £1 a mile, the job isn't worth doing.

These MK drivers, I'd like to know how much they pay for their radios or commission to the barons of the airwaves. I think as part of whatever knowledge test drivers undertake they should be able to prove they have the finances to maintain their vehicle and have some basic knowledge of how to make money or break even! Why keep driving silly distances to lose money? Sit at home and stay warm, at least you won't lose money that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:45 am 

20 years ago 1 was a 3 vehicle fleet in rural Wales, came back to England, rented a radio and never looked forward..... :badgrin:

It would take wild horses for me to do it again

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 am 

The situation in MK is entirely down to their own STUPIDITY it could have been prevented but they couldn't be bothered read the WHO ARE THE COUNCILLORS THREAD And learn the lesson and organise in your area or follow this lot into POVERTY :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I AM PROUD TO BE A CITIZEN NOBODY'S SUBJECT http://www.republic.org.u

F88K EM ALL WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:49 am 

trotskys twin wrote:
The situation in MK is entirely down to their own STUPIDITY it could have been prevented but they couldn't be bothered read the WHO ARE THE COUNCILLORS THREAD And learn the lesson and organise in your area or follow this lot into POVERTY :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

the only difference would have been fewer hacks but more PH, thats the model across the regulated portions of the UK isnt it?

would you regulate PH numbers too then?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:55 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

the only difference would have been fewer hacks but more PH, thats the model across the regulated portions of the UK isnt it?

OH YES of course that is essential PH numbers must be regulated just as Hacks can be and rest assured its on the Agenda :D :D :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:41 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:
trotskys twin wrote:

OH YES of course that is essential PH numbers must be regulated just as Hacks can be and rest assured its on the Agenda :D :D :D

along with (and as likely as):-

Raising the Titanic
Free haircuts for Rastafarians
Re-introduction of main line steam train services
public floggings
slave sales

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:08 pm 

I agree with the last 3 suggestions there...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm 

roythebus wrote:

I take it thats not part of Mrs election strategy ?????????????? :D :D

BOOZE BOOZE BOOZE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm 

trotskys twin wrote:
roythebus wrote:

I take it thats not part of Mrs election strategy ?????????????? :D :D

another TT gem...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:35 pm 

If we stick to the thread - de regulation doesn't work, mr Sussex I hope you and your chums are taking notice.

All it does is lead to lower quality of life for everyone involved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:45 pm 

187ums wrote:
If we stick to the thread - de regulation doesn't work, mr Sussex I hope you and your chums are taking notice.

No, what doesn't work is sitting on a rank all day saying "there is nothing I can do". I have done something about it in my area and the people that drive my cars are earning good money. They pay me next to nothing to use my cars and keep all their takings. They are activly encouraged to get their own customers. One driver has seen his take home go from around £180 for an 80 hour week to as much as £800 for a 55 hour week. We are in a de-restricted area so don't tell me that it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 pm 

187ums wrote:

Allowing private hire operators to dictate leads to a lower quality of life for all involved, that is what I've learnt from reading this thread. Out of curiosity what are the standards for private hire and taxis in MK?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:30 pm 

187ums wrote:

Can't work out how anyone can earn a living in the 100% de-restricted PH market then.

Look the reason it's so sh** in de-restricted areas, like where Mr skyline works, and so sh** in restricted areas, like where Mr hamidtaxi works, is because in the main it's pretty sh** all over.

People have stopped using taxis because they are pot-less, the restricted/de-restricted issue has nothing to do with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm 

Sussex wrote:
187ums wrote:

Can't work out how anyone can earn a living in the 100% de-restricted PH market then.

Look the reason it's so sh** in de-restricted areas, like where Mr skyline works, and so sh** in restricted areas, like where Mr hamidtaxi works, is because in the main it's pretty sh** all over.

People have stopped using taxis because they are pot-less, the restricted/de-restricted issue has nothing to do with it.

HURRAH!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:45 am 

Bloody hell, the truth has come out at last. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

People ARE potless and don't go out! With beer at £3.80ish a pint in the pubs where they can't smoke, why bother when they can buy a pint in the supermarket for £1 a pint, drink it and smoke at home, and not worry about getting a bottle in the face when the pub shuts!

Maybe someone should alert the Competition Commission to the antics of ph and taxi operators who dictate fares to their drivers. It is ILLEGAL and anti-competitive unless the drivers are employed by the company or the vehicles are company owned and operated. I could notas a ph driver collude and charge the same fares as the guy round the corner, the law forbids it. Fixed fares ARE legal for taxis as they are set by the LA's meter rates (or less) as we all know. so, if the taxis in MK are charging less than the meter rates, it's up to the drivers to REFUSE to work for less than metered rates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next