Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:13 am 
Limo info. For those interested in the ongoing Limo saga here are two interesting websites with some interesting articles, especially the ones about licensing. Have a look at the news section from this first site.

http://www.nationallimo.co.uk/

http://www.nlauk.co.uk/news.html

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:29 am 
If they keep saying it eight or less customers, why isnt that followed by must therefore be licensed as a PH?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:19 am 
I thought they had to be licensed anyway, Hire and reward isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:47 pm 
It would seem a large number of licensing authorities interpret the legislation to mean no streach limo's at all, as they are not permitted to license private hire vehicles that are left hand drive.

These guy's are omewhat caught between the devil and the deep blue, well the legal ones are, if such a thing exists with this mode of transport, where yet again the rouges of the trade just duck and dive.

JD were you as shocked as I was about the kids?

Outrageuos, should not be allowed, but it would seem it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:25 pm 
I remember recently reading that Birmingham have sort of agreed to license stretch limos under different conditions to ordinary PH.

As the council can set whatever conditions they wish, as long as they are fair, then surely it's best they at least have some sort of check on the driver and vehicle.

As these things are going to be here forever, then maybe we need to have a degree of flexibilty to allow them to be legit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:13 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
It would seem a large number of licensing authorities interpret the legislation to mean no streach limo's at all, as they are not permitted to license private hire vehicles that are left hand drive.

These guy's are omewhat caught between the devil and the deep blue, well the legal ones are, if such a thing exists with this mode of transport, where yet again the rouges of the trade just duck and dive.

I suppose it’s a classic case of an unregulated vehicle not being maintained to a road worthy standard. There are of course many licensed vehicles that fit into that category but this Limo owner by neglecting his vehicle put the lives of these young children at risk. He not only carried more than his legal seating capacity one of his passenger doors would not open from the inside. The biggest potential hazard was the corrosion of his brake pipes.

I've never before commented or got into a discussion about Limo's but I'm beginning to think that there is a need for these vehicles to be licensed.

It's interesting to read their opposition to being licensed under the 76 act. They obviously prefer to take the somewhat easier regulated PSV route.
If they wish to conduct their business along present lines I suspect vehicles with eight seats or less will be required to be licensed under the 76 act.

I must admit here in Manchester at weekends its getting a little congested with these types of vehicles.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:03 pm 
John Davies wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I suppose it’s a classic case of an unregulated vehicle not being maintained to a road worthy standard. There are of course many licensed vehicles that fit into that category but this Limo owner by neglecting his vehicle put the lives of these young children at risk. He not only carried more than his legal seating capacity one of his passenger doors would not open from the inside. The biggest potential hazard was the corrosion of his brake pipes.

I've never before commented or got into a discussion about Limo's but I'm beginning to think that there is a need for these vehicles to be licensed.

It's interesting to read their opposition to being licensed under the 76 act. They obviously prefer to take the somewhat easier regulated PSV route.
If they wish to conduct their business along present lines I suspect vehicles with eight seats or less will be required to be licensed under the 76 act.

I must admit here in Manchester at weekends its getting a little congested with these types of vehicles.

Best wishes

JD

It's the same in Mansfield, it seems every man and his dog is getting one. On Saturday night we couldn't get on the ranks outside the clubs because of the limos.

Post subject: Limo Law
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:00 am 
Thought it was worth mentioning to you guys

Limos can only be registered to carry 8 passengers
BUT most councils won't register them, some won't because they are LHD. (RHD is available now)

Some.. cause they don't like USA limos

Some.. cause they don't understand, and don't want to

The large 4x4 style limos .. hummers/excursions/escalades etc are all illegal, IF carrying MORE than 8.. the problem here is.. you can have 16 seats in it, register it for 8 passengers, and then the temptation for most of these guys (and greed) is to carry more..

Most of these 4x4 guys are totally illegal, and don't care, 'the crime don't fit the fine' they can earn £1000,s for ONE job.

The 'honest' amoungst the limo fraternity WANT decent workable legistlation, the Goverment don't give some genuine operators much option, some have to break the law, IF they want to out food on the table... SOME do-not have the luxury of alternative employment.

The BIG problem !! Many operators 'foolishly' believe they are covered for private hire and reward, because they have INSURANCE for it..

Unfortunately, the small print says, as long as you conform to private hire regulation, which involves holding an operators license.. We are caught between a rock and a hard place .. MOST OF US..

A lot of info can be found at www.limos4sale.co.uk (forum) for those that are curious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:19 pm 
I think most drivers have no problem with limos as long as they are licensed. In fact some of us are well pleased you take work that we really don't want.

The issue is the safety of the driver, and the escape routes for customers following an accident.

The driver side could be solved via CRB checks, and if all Limo firms went that way, then that would show that they do care about their customers.

As for the escape routes, well really I don't think an idea solution exists. Which thankfully is someone else's problem.

Post subject: Limo Usa
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:34 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
I think most drivers have no problem with limos as long as they are licensed. In fact some of us are well pleased you take work that we really don't want.

The issue is the safety of the driver, and the escape routes for customers following an accident.

The driver side could be solved via CRB checks, and if all Limo firms went that way, then that would show that they do care about their customers.

As for the escape routes, well really I don't think an idea solution exists. Which thankfully is someone else's problem.

I think the escape routes are ONE of the main reasons for limiting the occupants to 8. And I feel its fair.

Some limos have a 5th BRIDAL door, located further up front, limos with this door, have another excellent exit.. BUT these are very rare.

If there was clear information from the inspectorate we could build to thier safety specs ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to get the info outta them

I have asked several times..what spec do we need to build, and an answer never comes ..

Putting emergency glass, roof exits, another door, are all easy options, but they won't commit to us.

So again those of us who would have safer vehicles, are punished for those who don't care

Post subject: Re: Limo Law
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:30 pm 
Limo Driver wrote:
Thought it was worth mentioning to you guys

Limos can only be registered to carry 8 passengers
BUT most councils won't register them, some won't because they are LHD. (RHD is available now)

Some.. cause they don't like USA limos

Some.. cause they don't understand, and don't want to

The large 4x4 style limos .. hummers/excursions/escalades etc are all illegal, IF carrying MORE than 8.. the problem here is.. you can have 16 seats in it, register it for 8 passengers, and then the temptation for most of these guys (and greed) is to carry more..

Most of these 4x4 guys are totally illegal, and don't care, 'the crime don't fit the fine' they can earn £1000,s for ONE job.

The 'honest' amoungst the limo fraternity WANT decent workable legistlation, the Goverment don't give some genuine operators much option, some have to break the law, IF they want to out food on the table... SOME do-not have the luxury of alternative employment.

The BIG problem !! Many operators 'foolishly' believe they are covered for private hire and reward, because they have INSURANCE for it..

Unfortunately, the small print says, as long as you conform to private hire regulation, which involves holding an operators license.. We are caught between a rock and a hard place .. MOST OF US..

A lot of info can be found at www.limos4sale.co.uk (forum) for those that are curious

I'm not vehemently opposed to Limos like some but they do cause a lot of traffic congestion. I think your points have previously been widely
disscused and there are not many people on here who don't know the particulars about the licensing of Limos.

You are quite right to infer that VOSA see these vehicles as not conforming to PSV legislation and that ultimately every Limo will be placed in a position where they will have to be licensed under the 1976 act.

I assume you are also aware that any Limo that isn't licensed is presently breaking the law. Just because you have a large vehicle it doesn't mean that you can convey passengers from A to B for hire and reward.

That is not an assumption it is a fact.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:10 pm 
There seems to be a bit of crap being talked here. All Limousines wheteher with 8 seats or more, need to be licensed if they undertake Hire and Reward work. The only exclusions are for vehicles that only undertake wedding and funeral work, or are contracted to a "single" supplier for a period of more than 7 days.

If the Limo has eight passenger seats or less, it is under the licensing regime of its local authority and whatever they decide, but, if they have adopted the Misc Provs Act than licensed it should be.

If "constructed or adapted to carry more than 8 persons" it must be licensed as a PSV. NO EXCLUSIONS.

The reasons some are not acceptable (Eg. HumVees) to the department of transport is because they are quite simply not type approved in that they have not been issued with a certificate of initial fitness.

The Braintree chap, (Entraped Limo) could not license his 8 passenger Limo under PSV rules, as Section 265 Transport Act 2000 expressly prohibits this.

Its all there in the legislation, and frankly, this part of it is quite clear. Shame that the Limo Driver cant read it before offering his two-penneth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:50 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
The only exclusions are for vehicles that only undertake wedding and funeral work, or are contracted to a "single" supplier for a period of more than 7 days.

Or 24 hours.