Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:53 pm 

An interesting case that took a different view on one of the rules we always assumed to be so. In that the High Court said it doesn't always follow that the owner of the vehicle which has the plate attached to it is the plate holder.

I dismissed the claim on the basis that although he owned the vehicle, he was not the proprietor of the taxi business using that vehicle.

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ad ... /2933.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:58 pm 

For those out there not as anorakey as me, the above case came about after a falling out between the proprietor and the driver, over the buying of the plate in installments.

Who would have thought? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Two other things, firstly the Judge got the right hump with the council's legal department for basically being a bunch of lazy so and so's, and secondly who in their right minds licenses a Golf as a hackney. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:10 pm 

Sussex wrote:
For those out there not as anorakey as me, the above case came about after a falling out between the proprietor and the driver, over the buying of the plate in installments.

Who would have thought? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Two other things, firstly the Judge got the right hump with the council's legal department for basically being a bunch of lazy so and so's, and secondly who in their right minds licenses a Golf as a hackney. :shock:

Lost count of how many times in the past 36 years I have seen stories similar to this.

It would seem that the driver in this case agreed to pay over a number weeks for the licence ( plate, if you wish) and then, surprise surprise, didn’t keep up with the payments. It would also seem that someone advised him that the licence was his, because it was attached to a vehicle that he was the registered keeper of. Boy, we’re they wrong.
The moral of this tale, ne’er a borrower or a lender be. (W. Shakespeare)