Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 pm 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Sussex wrote:
And a 'fait accompli'.

I don't think so, first there is the consultation - which could see changes. Then the House of Commons, which could see changes, then the House of Lords........

Just using the search function to see if anyone had used the phrase fait accompli in relation to the Law Commission's consultation :D

Well done Sussex, or is Chris right in saying there's a long way to go in the process yet? :-k

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 pm 

i think i said that....at several points :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:49 pm 

captain cab wrote:

But the point is that Sussex had made this claim before the thing was published, whereas Chris was obviously a bit more optimistic.

So has anyone changed their minds since publication?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:51 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
captain cab wrote:

But the point is that Sussex had made this claim before the thing was published, whereas Chris was obviously a bit more optimistic.

hence the post....i await the reprise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 am 

Still optomistic.

If you ain't got hope, you ain't got reason to keep trying.

But Nobody will get all they want - I just hope I feel I got more than I lost at the end of it.

The end will be when E II R signs the Act off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:50 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
Still optomistic.

If you ain't got hope, you ain't got reason to keep trying.

But Nobody will get all they want - I just hope I feel I got more than I lost at the end of it.

The end will be when E II R signs the Act off.

Or goes to room 101 :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Some people who I speak to (with brains) appear to believe the LC will change their view on quotas, I don't share that view.

The report is inter-linked (I think they use different words), so if quotas stay that will have an effect on some of their other proposal, which in turn will have an effect on even more proposals.

I think the people with brains I speak to are pinning their hopes on the political aspect once a Bill is published, once again I don't share that view/hope.

So to answer the Bin's question, there will be little if no change.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Some people who I speak to (with brains) appear to believe the LC will change their view on quotas, I don't share that view.

The report is inter-linked (I think they use different words), so if quotas stay that will have an effect on some of their other proposal, which in turn will have an effect on even more proposals.

I think the people with brains I speak to are pinning their hopes on the political aspect once a Bill is published, once again I don't share that view/hope.

So to answer the Bin's question, there will be little if no change.

I agree, however I think theres certain parts of it they aint bothered about, wedding and funeral cars being one such example.

Their main concentration, and you just need look at the number the pages dedicated, are cross border and deregulation.

What really surprises me is the LC's sloppy impact assessment - half a$$ed.

I mean hiring the consultant they chose was a little like the NHS hiring Harold Shipman for advice in elderly care.

But all of that doesnt matter in a fait accompli.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Just using the search function to see if anyone had used the phrase fait accompli in relation to the Law Commission's consultation :D

I'm intrigued as to why you searched those words? :-k

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:

he miss spelled xxx girls :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:18 am 

Sussex wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:

Was just about to use the phrase myself - because that's effectively what a lot of people had been saying - and just wondered whether anyone else had already used it. And of course because it's an unusual phrase it would easily picked up via the search function.

For what it's worth I suspect the LC's proposals are unlikely to change at the fundamental level. Of course, some of the less important proposals could change, and some of the bigger ones might be refined.

There's possibly more scope for revision when the politicians start getting involved. Of course, because it's a coalition then the political dynamic isn't the easiest to ascertain - and I doubt if the lobby journalists and pundits will be eagerly seeking the views of politicians on a cinderella subject like this - so from where most of us are we'll just have to rely on official pronouncements and read between the lines from there. But at a very basic level it's probable that the Lib Dems would have a less deregulatory ethos than the Tories, and to that extent are likely to be more amenable to opposing the LC.

Of course, in view of the time these things take, and given the increasing instability of the coalition, we could well have a Labour government by the time it gets to Parliament, or perhaps a different coalition.

So then it might be a whole different ball game, particularly when the unions start flexing their muscles.

Who knows, we could end up with just the Trans Comm's proposals being implemented, which would enable "taxi transport in the UK [sic] to be held as a beacon to the rest of the world", as the GMB rep claimed recently. Image