Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:37 am 

Quote:
Councils have adopted rules which make the taxi trade practically indistinguishable from the private hire trade and then bleat on about the public not knowing the difference.

In what way do you consider private hire to be indistinguishable from the taxi trade? The glaringly obvious distinction is the taxi sign on the roof. Do you think the public are aware of the hoops that private hire drivers may or may not have to jump through to obtain a licence. Perhaps the sign on the roof is the only difference in reality that the public care about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:35 pm 

toots wrote:

In what way do you consider private hire to be indistinguishable from the taxi trade? The glaringly obvious distinction is the taxi sign on the roof. Do you think the public are aware of the hoops that private hire drivers may or may not have to jump through to obtain a licence. Perhaps the sign on the roof is the only difference in reality that the public care about.

I think when you read what the cab trade write and general views are about PH - in being their retarded little brother who regularly rapes passengers, touts and whatever else - and then consider in many areas the qualifications for the two are exactly the same.

Then consider the following advert for a PH company;

I needn't answer the rest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:41 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

I think when you read what the cab trade write and general views are about PH - in being their retarded little brother who regularly rapes passengers, touts and whatever else - and then consider in many areas the qualifications for the two are exactly the same.

Then consider the following advert for a PH company;

I needn't answer the rest.

I actually think you do need to answer it, for exactly the reason you have promoted. You have the stats do they match up to the accusations made by the taxi trade or could it be that in the areas where requirements for ph are less than that of taxis are indeed the areas that cause the problems?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:49 pm 

toots wrote:

I actually think you do need to answer it, for exactly the reason you have promoted. You have the stats do they match up to the accusations made by the taxi trade or could it be that in the areas where requirements for ph are less than that of taxis are indeed the areas that cause the problems?

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manw ... /arrowtaxi

http://www.lynchtaxismanchester.co.uk/

http://www.sawston-taxis.com/

I don't want to go through the entire internet pointing to private hire companies calling themselves taxi companies - the ignorance of the public is to the benefit of minicab companies - they want to be seen as taxis.

The point I make is that the taxi trade cannot bleat on about the differences between the two trades when they are the ones usually responsible for proposing higher and higher standards for PH.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:33 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manw ... /arrowtaxi

http://www.lynchtaxismanchester.co.uk/

http://www.sawston-taxis.com/

I don't want to go through the entire internet pointing to private hire companies calling themselves taxi companies - the ignorance of the public is to the benefit of minicab companies - they want to be seen as taxis.

The point I make is that the taxi trade cannot bleat on about the differences between the two trades when they are the ones usually responsible for proposing higher and higher standards for PH.

I'll suggest that the taxi trade requesting higher standards for ph is most likely based on the assumption that it will slow the uptake of ph down to reduce competition and it is most likely true. However at the expense of the safety of the public and also to fit in with some taxi drivers opinions that ph should be kept in the lowly gutter where they perceive they belong they now think it's ok to lower ph standards and to make the difference between the two trades bigger, albeit the public won't be aware of this in any case. The public are not only ignorant they are apathetic and it is that apathy that is a danger to themselves and what requires the councils to protect them from. Not all members of the public are deserving of the contempt some drivers have for them insofar as the service they require, some passengers don't have the where with all or the nerve to complain about shoddy service and it's these vulnerable passengers that should be considered over and above the drunken louts that use the services for a few hours a week. It is the visitors to areas that need protecting too. It seems to me that to avoid upsetting some folks nobody wants to admit the areas that have problems such as you mentioned with regards to touting, sexual assault etc are most likely areas with low ph standards. It also appears to me that to feed the greed of the operator and to help fill his coffers, at the expense of the public they purport to serve, they are quite happy to have reduced standards and drivers clueless as to where they're going.

Imo if the taxi trade don't back calls for high standards for the ph it will be the final nail in the their coffin and it will be their own arrogance that will have provided the hammer :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 pm 

I think it's fair to say that because the LC couldn't find a good enough reason to bin off quotas, they didn't.

But was that their remit?

Surely they should have looked at it another way i.e. what reason is there for the LC to justify quotas?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:30 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I think it's fair to say that because the LC couldn't find a good enough reason to bin off quotas, they didn't.

Surely they should have looked at it another way i.e. what reason is there for the LC to justify quotas?

Broken record :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm 

blackpool wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Broken record :roll:

Look if you think that all is done and dusted then you are a bigger mug than I assumed.

But even if it was, then anyone who thinks they have won, or at least not lost, are also mugs of the highest order.

But it's reassuring to see folks like you have missed certain facts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 pm 

Done and dusted ? won ? Your words not mine,i dont think anything of the sort.You need to get over yourself,you seem to think you have a answer for all of us.Now i can understand some people seeing the end of restrictions a good thing,i dont thats my view.Plus coming from someone who had a free plate to then sell it on for the cash :roll: Your really for the good of the driver arent you ? Me its my job to drive a Hackney and im sure i know more about the workings of it here in blackpool than you,whereas driving a ph in Brighton ill leave to you.Its whats known as leaving it to who knows best :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:08 pm 

Done and dusted ? won ? Your words not mine,i dont think anything of the sort.You need to get over yourself,you seem to think you have a answer for all of us.Now i can understand some people seeing the end of restrictions a good thing,i dont thats my view.Plus coming from someone who had a free plate to then sell it on for the cash :roll: Your really for the good of the driver arent you ? Me its my job to drive a Hackney and im sure i know more about the workings of it here in blackpool than you,whereas driving a ph in Brighton ill leave to you.Its whats known as leaving it to who knows best :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:37 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
There should now be intense lobbying to get limitation on PHV numbers too.

Not a fan of restricting PH numbers, but if I was to lobby on such an issue I would ask the LC why when they say in respect of taxis;

We no longer recommend abolishing quantity controls. We initially proposed that local authorities should lose the ability to limit the number of taxis licensed in their area on the basis of economic theory, whereby the market could be left to determine the appropriate number of vehicles. The weight of evidence received during consultation and further comparative research have led us to change this key recommendation in order to allow licensing authorities to limit taxi numbers should they wish to do so.

Why that also doesn't apply to PHVs. :-k

Exactly! And it should.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:47 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
There should now be intense lobbying to get limitation on PHV numbers too.

Not a fan of restricting PH numbers, but if I was to lobby on such an issue I would ask the LC why when they say in respect of taxis;

We no longer recommend abolishing quantity controls. We initially proposed that local authorities should lose the ability to limit the number of taxis licensed in their area on the basis of economic theory, whereby the market could be left to determine the appropriate number of vehicles. The weight of evidence received during consultation and further comparative research have led us to change this key recommendation in order to allow licensing authorities to limit taxi numbers should they wish to do so.

Why that also doesn't apply to PHVs. :-k

Exactly! And it should.

So just say Birmingham reach their quota of 6000 PH licenses and cant issue anymore - with the cross border arrangement a person will go to the next area perhaps Walsall - which has exactly the same standards but hasn't issued their full allocation - license themselves their and return to Brum to work.

And just say I want to start an airport transfer business in Birmingham - I'm going to only do airport work - should Brum Council refuse me even though I wont be doing normal minicab work?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm 

I think we should give credit where credit is due , we should thank Mr RP Law Commission for being so prompt in giving us their findings... even if we don't agree... I found the team to be extremely even-handed at the meetings I attendant, and considering they were not in a position to take sides.... (As after all for them it was just a job of work.)
they always had time to explain what is an acceptable argument and what wasn't......

-PS.... I am sure they won't forget this job.....MR T...... Sefton :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:11 pm 

captain cab wrote:
So just say Birmingham reach their quota of 6000 PH licenses and cant issue anymore - with the cross border arrangement a person will go to the next area perhaps Walsall - which has exactly the same standards but hasn't issued their full allocation - license themselves their and return to Brum to work.

And just say I want to start an airport transfer business in Birmingham - I'm going to only do airport work - should Brum Council refuse me even though I wont be doing normal minicab work?

You bring up and seem to accept the idea of a PH operator being able to use drivers and vehicles from any area in the country, which in my view is the most dangerous of all the Law Commission's ideas.

If this LC proposal becomes law, just picture this scenario, which in my view will happen, especially with cowboy PH operators.

A PH operator in LA X decided that he will not employ any drivers licensed in LA X nor use any vehicles licensed in LA X, because he can use drivers and vehicles from LA A through to LA W and drivers and vehicles from LAs Y and Z. The drivers and vehicles that this PH operator who is licensed in LA X uses are all local drivers but they and their vehicles are licensed in remote, 100 plus miles away LAs.

Now how the kcuf is that going to be controlled and how is the local licensing enforcement officer going to get a grip on that.

Now apply this situation throughout the country, with every cowboy PH operator that doesn't want any regulation and you have total chaos.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 pm 

The law commission may be just doing there job, but we have to do ours? And there decisions will affect us all? A level playing field is all I ask for?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next