Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:32 pm 

Sussex wrote:
meltingsmoke wrote:
***This is why you cannot stop it***, as mention above.

This is why those concerned about this issue as lobbying parliament to stop it.

but how can you stop "it" when its already illegal?

("it" being only a case where a job booked by a base in area A is done by a vehicle PLATED in area B) i doubt it even happens to any great extent, its a simple geographical fact of life that "normal" over-border hirings will happen

its quite legal for any HC or PH to pickup out of area if pre-booked thru a base operating the vehicle sent (and plated in the same area as the base)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:39 pm 

The first sentence of this thread is wrong

Quote:
The Committee is interested, in particular, in cross-border hire problems caused by private hire vehicles picking up passengers on a large scale outside of the area in which they are licensed. Written evidence would also be welcome on other issues relating to taxi and private hire vehicles, including matters concerning passenger safety.

1. Define "large scale" (is it by amount or percentage?)
2. If the base sends its own plated vehicle its legal

99% of my work is in the next (or next to next) LA, am i illegal 99% of the time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:46 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
but how can you stop "it" when its already illegal?

Well some of "it" isn't illegal, if it was then we wouldn't be having this discussion and the Transport Committee would be looking at buses again, not cross-border hirings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:02 pm 

I take all your work starts and finishes within your own LA and you turn down anything which would require you to cross the border?

ever heard that phrase "be carefull what you wish for"?

if the select committee get a law passed that a plated vehicle (and it wont be just PH) cannot carry passengers outside thier own LA the world will implode!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:48 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
if the select committee get a law passed that a plated vehicle (and it wont be just PH) cannot carry passengers outside thier own LA the world will implode!

Who is asking for that? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:11 pm 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

Who is asking for that? :?

Thats what a bunch of committee members without a real clue could conclude and put forward, just like LAs insisiting all HCs are WAVs (when only maybe 20% of trips ever need it), and once passed as an AOP your stuffed

other than that, what EXACTLY is that you want want and how would you implement it, damned if i can fathom your arguement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:15 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
other than that, what EXACTLY is that you want want and how would you implement it, damned if i can fathom your arguement

Hackneys and private hire vehicle and drivers to work out of the areas to which they are licensed. They can pick up anywhere, drop off anywhere, but wait (free of work) nowhere other than the area to which they are licensed.

Private hire operators to only issue work to cars licensed in the same area as their office/base, be they hackneys or private hire vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:19 pm 

I think what you want is not policeable, all you want is out of area plated vehicles to head back once clear? it would be a real mission to prove they didnt on any regular basis, as i said, a base i was on had loads of work in the next town and if clear we could sit at the border anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:09 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
I think what you want is not policeable, all you want is out of area plated vehicles to head back once clear? it would be a real mission to prove they didnt on any regular basis, as i said, a base i was on had loads of work in the next town and if clear we could sit at the border anyway

I think thats a fair point......some people want LO's to be able to stop all licensed vehicles though.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:47 pm 

captain cab wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

I think thats a fair point......some people want LO's to be able to stop all licensed vehicles though.

CC
When you read some of the suggestions that have been submitted it really does make you laugh..... council officers to be allowed to stop and check other LA's vehicles....... now how is that going to work.... they don't even stop and check their own.... everybody complains about lack of Enforcement... so the same people reckon that by checking other LA's vehicles this will make a difference ..... so the problem stems from licensing officers being lazy and not knowing how to do the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:49 pm 

cops and VOSA can stop ALL vehicles, so this is a strong case for licensing BY vosa plus LOs dont even police thier own LA rules and regs

simplify the regs, nationalise them, and let cops and/or VOSA enforce them. Let LOs just process paperwork, which is all they are suited to really

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:53 pm 

Next we come to... fixed penalty tickets .... LA's have the authority and power to prosecute now.... but this entails a lot of work for licensing officer..... which he does not want to do.... but issuing a fixed penalty... . now that's another thing... write the ticket out and into the system it goes ... no more work for him.... just a feeling of power.....

No need for fixed penalty tickets... all it takes is licensing offices to get off their backsides and do the job they are paid to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:00 am 

it seems areas vary wildly in enforcement issues, plus we have only 1 part time LO, I doubt hes gonna be out and about at 2am new years eve other than to get legless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:01 am 

Hackney carriage vehicles working in orther LA's as private hire vehicles.... the question is why... the answer is that a lazy licensing officer makes it so easy for them to acquire a licence... even to the extent of carrying out the transaction by post.... to me the problem seems to fall squarely in bad management by certain licensing officers..... they need to be trained to a standard that is national......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:03 am 

Councils need to be held accountable for the money that they take in licensing fees.... and then what it is spent on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next