Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:17 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
So just say Birmingham reach their quota of 6000 PH licenses and cant issue anymore - with the cross border arrangement a person will go to the next area perhaps Walsall - which has exactly the same standards but hasn't issued their full allocation - license themselves their and return to Brum to work.

And just say I want to start an airport transfer business in Birmingham - I'm going to only do airport work - should Brum Council refuse me even though I wont be doing normal minicab work?

You bring up and seem to accept the idea of a PH operator being able to use drivers and vehicles from any area in the country, which in my view is the most dangerous of all the Law Commission's ideas.

If this LC proposal becomes law, just picture this scenario, which in my view will happen, especially with cowboy PH operators.

A PH operator in LA X decided that he will not employ any drivers licensed in LA X nor use any vehicles licensed in LA X, because he can use drivers and vehicles from LA A through to LA W and drivers and vehicles from LAs Y and Z. The drivers and vehicles that this PH operator who is licensed in LA X uses are all local drivers but they and their vehicles are licensed in remote, 100 plus miles away LAs.

Now how the kcuf is that going to be controlled and how is the local licensing enforcement officer going to get a grip on that.

Now apply this situation throughout the country, with every cowboy PH operator that doesn't want any regulation and you have total chaos.

17. Consultees were very concerned about enforcement – both that the current system was being insufficiently enforced, and that our proposals for opening up cross- border activities of private hire vehicles would increase the practical difficulties in information sharing and licence fee allocation. We recommend introducing a range of tougher powers for licensing officers, including the ability to stop licensed vehicles, impounding and fixed penalty schemes. We also recommend that such powers should apply in respect of out-of-area vehicles. We also recommend clarifying the scope of the touting offence and reinforcing licensing officers’ powers in dealing with it.
Hearings and appeals

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
The law commission may be just doing there job, but we have to do ours? And there decisions will affect us all? A level playing field is all I ask for?

Always happy to oblige!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:19 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
mancityfan wrote:
The law commission may be just doing there job, but we have to do ours? And there decisions will affect us all? A level playing field is all I ask for?

Always happy to oblige!

I expect nothing less from a villa fan:-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:21 pm 

mancityfan wrote:

I totally agree with you , it's now up to the hackney and private hire trades to speak to their local MPs and explain what chaos some of these proposals will bring, and also how totally unenforceable they will be .... Sefton Council has had the ability of allowing licensing officers to issue tickets for quite some number of years... but they don't... they know the chaos that would bring..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
captain cab wrote:
So just say Birmingham reach their quota of 6000 PH licenses and cant issue anymore - with the cross border arrangement a person will go to the next area perhaps Walsall - which has exactly the same standards but hasn't issued their full allocation - license themselves their and return to Brum to work.

And just say I want to start an airport transfer business in Birmingham - I'm going to only do airport work - should Brum Council refuse me even though I wont be doing normal minicab work?

You bring up and seem to accept the idea of a PH operator being able to use drivers and vehicles from any area in the country, which in my view is the most dangerous of all the Law Commission's ideas.

If this LC proposal becomes law, just picture this scenario, which in my view will happen, especially with cowboy PH operators.

A PH operator in LA X decided that he will not employ any drivers licensed in LA X nor use any vehicles licensed in LA X, because he can use drivers and vehicles from LA A through to LA W and drivers and vehicles from LAs Y and Z. The drivers and vehicles that this PH operator who is licensed in LA X uses are all local drivers but they and their vehicles are licensed in remote, 100 plus miles away LAs.

Now how the kcuf is that going to be controlled and how is the local licensing enforcement officer going to get a grip on that.

Now apply this situation throughout the country, with every cowboy PH operator that doesn't want any regulation and you have total chaos.

17. Consultees were very concerned about enforcement – both that the current system was being insufficiently enforced, and that our proposals for opening up cross- border activities of private hire vehicles would increase the practical difficulties in information sharing and licence fee allocation. We recommend introducing a range of tougher powers for licensing officers, including the ability to stop licensed vehicles, impounding and fixed penalty schemes. We also recommend that such powers should apply in respect of out-of-area vehicles. We also recommend clarifying the scope of the touting offence and reinforcing licensing officers’ powers in dealing with it.

You know the reality out there on the streets. Words such as theses are a utopia and almost meaningless in our trade.

Just look at your own enforcement officer, Ms M is it?

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 pm 

mancityfan wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
mancityfan wrote:

Always happy to oblige!

I expect nothing less from a villa fan:-)

Capital V please!

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 pm 

The LC talk about giving LOs more powers to stop vehicles, even out of area vehicles but the government talk about it not being necessary and LOs should work with the police for such activities. How in times of austerity do they do this? Even in times of plenty they didn't do much of this so why will they in the future?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 pm 

MR T wrote:
I think we should give credit where credit is due , we should thank Mr RP Law Commission for being so prompt in giving us their findings... even if we don't agree... I found the team to be extremely even-handed at the meetings I attendant, and considering they were not in a position to take sides.... (As after all for them it was just a job of work.)
they always had time to explain what is an acceptable argument and what wasn't......

-PS.... I am sure they won't forget this job.....MR T...... Sefton :D

:lol:

I think the cab trade will go down - perhaps in flames - but not forgotten

If the LC learn anything, they should never forget the cab trades ability to self destruct.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:56 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:

I agree with the cross border idea being the most dangerous of all.

However, it is up to the taxi trade (and PH trade) to prove the point - sadly - and this is only a guess because I cannot possibly have the time to read each and every response - my wager is that the taxi trade have been (as ever) more concerned with limitation of HC's than anything else.

Reaching this conclusion I should mention the (brave) reversal of the LC view on limitation of numbers, this has surely only come into being by concentrated evidence - evidence that has perhaps been lacking in the cross border argument.

Of course - limitation of numbers would be a pyrrhic type of victory if an area is swamped by vehicles licensed elsewhere.........but again my own mind returns to the point of who pays for enforcement?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:24 am 

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
toots wrote:
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

I actually think you do need to answer it, for exactly the reason you have promoted. You have the stats do they match up to the accusations made by the taxi trade or could it be that in the areas where requirements for ph are less than that of taxis are indeed the areas that cause the problems?

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manw ... /arrowtaxi

http://www.lynchtaxismanchester.co.uk/

http://www.sawston-taxis.com/

I don't want to go through the entire internet pointing to private hire companies calling themselves taxi companies - the ignorance of the public is to the benefit of minicab companies - they want to be seen as taxis.

The point I make is that the taxi trade cannot bleat on about the differences between the two trades when they are the ones usually responsible for proposing higher and higher standards for PH.

I'll suggest that the taxi trade requesting higher standards for ph is most likely based on the assumption that it will slow the uptake of ph down to reduce competition and it is most likely true. However at the expense of the safety of the public and also to fit in with some taxi drivers opinions that ph should be kept in the lowly gutter where they perceive they belong they now think it's ok to lower ph standards and to make the difference between the two trades bigger, albeit the public won't be aware of this in any case. The public are not only ignorant they are apathetic and it is that apathy that is a danger to themselves and what requires the councils to protect them from. Not all members of the public are deserving of the contempt some drivers have for them insofar as the service they require, some passengers don't have the where with all or the nerve to complain about shoddy service and it's these vulnerable passengers that should be considered over and above the drunken louts that use the services for a few hours a week. It is the visitors to areas that need protecting too. It seems to me that to avoid upsetting some folks nobody wants to admit the areas that have problems such as you mentioned with regards to touting, sexual assault etc are most likely areas with low ph standards. It also appears to me that to feed the greed of the operator and to help fill his coffers, at the expense of the public they purport to serve, they are quite happy to have reduced standards and drivers clueless as to where they're going.

Imo if the taxi trade don't back calls for high standards for the ph it will be the final nail in the their coffin and it will be their own arrogance that will have provided the hammer :wink:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 am 

professional and trained expert with a licence, or some bloke/woman with potential crime in mind (unrestricted and unregistered) waiting to happen!!!!!

You decide.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with you with regard to firm, however I don't believe the situation will be good for the customer at all.

Its the operator that should be responsible for standards - at the moment all of their true responsibility is sub contracted to the Local Authority - the other week I posted an article regarding some PH driver racing to get through a level crossing - the gut response of the operator was to portion blame, point out self employed status and responsibility to the council.

http://www.taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/vie ... =cambridge

Paul Clare, operations manager at Panther “Taxis”, with whom Ahmed was working, said: “Mr Ahmed is self-employed and was suspended from the Panther radio network pending his appearance in court and we fully support the penalty imposed on him.”

Of course the driver may be a nutcase - but he may have been late for a booking due to company incompetence - we'll never actually know - although if he'd died it may have came out in an inquest.

Did the operator drive / racing that vehicle though the level crossing ,,, NO Mr Ahmed was in charge with that Vehicle, oh where was Mr Ahmed heavy foot on the right hand pedal hitting the floor not the middle one .

So wheres the responsible standards fall on , it be on the driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 pm 

I expect you'll be horrified to know that we are doing a project on level crossings as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:
I expect you'll be horrified to know that we are doing a project on level crossings as well.

Should be slightly easier than taxis !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:

Try as I might I can't figure out what you'll be doing, commonsense prevailing nobody will cross when there is a train coming :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next