Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 am 
I'm a bit frazzled with it tbh Wayne, it seems to indicate to me that there is a need for enforcement against illegal PH activity, which in turn suggests that PH will remain PH only in future, afterall why would you need on the spot fines for pirates that have been caught out if you no longer have a PH or a PH that can flag.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:43 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Doom wrote:
No more than 10 licences to be issued to any one individual.....this will need tweaking as there are those that will try to bend the rules.
Reduce company radio fees to sensible levels £135pw is not a sensible level, so set a max radio fee across the country or make it 20p per job for them.

About as likely as Doom supporting derestriction of taxi numbers.

Dusty, civil servants have been axed as surplus in the cutbacks, the cab trade is well and truely over supplied in just about every corner of the country, if we don't need surplus civil servants then why the need for more cabs to compete for less trade.

I actually don't mind managed growth, but it has to be done right, it has to be SUD'd first and only take into account Hack ranks and how long a customer is waiting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:44 am 

Doom wrote:
To respond to your last post also, if PH did as it was supposed to there would be no need for a fine's system would there?

So are you suggesting, like Unite were, that a £200 fine would suffice and PH could carry on merrily illegally plying.

I think I prefer the massive fine they get at the moment and the possibility of 6 points on the driving license and maybe losing that.

Hows about the HC trade.....the fines wouldnt only affect PH's........fine for not wearing a badge.....fine for not having the correct contents of a first aid kit?

We have byelaws already and LA's can fine drivers.......its just that they tend to be sh*te.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:50 am 

Doom wrote:
I'm a bit frazzled with it tbh Wayne, it seems to indicate to me that there is a need for enforcement against illegal PH activity, which in turn suggests that PH will remain PH only in future, afterall why would you need on the spot fines for pirates that have been caught out if you no longer have a PH or a PH that can flag.

Yes it also says it isn't too bothered about looking at fees........now as you know.....LA's need money to enforce any law.....but they cannot currently use license fees to do it.

There wont be spot fines........you cannot use fines to create an income to subsidise a licensing unit.

It was a silly idea, raised by silly men, who lead lives training silly cab drivers......and they opened there silly mouths without actually doing any research........we are dealing with professional law people here, they are not a bunch of dumbos that will believe a room full of knuckle dragging cab drivers who like tub thumping.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:51 am 
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:
To respond to your last post also, if PH did as it was supposed to there would be no need for a fine's system would there?

So are you suggesting, like Unite were, that a £200 fine would suffice and PH could carry on merrily illegally plying.

I think I prefer the massive fine they get at the moment and the possibility of 6 points on the driving license and maybe losing that.

Hows about the HC trade.....the fines wouldnt only affect PH's........fine for not wearing a badge.....fine for not having the correct contents of a first aid kit?

We have byelaws already and LA's can fine drivers.......its just that they tend to be sh*te.

CC

tbh I think a £60 fine will do, wait until the PHD looks at his £350 at the end of the week and the £180 fines he's racked up, it's easier and less cost to the council and taxpayer that way, needs backing up with 3 strikes as well, get fined 3 times and badge is cut up in front of you.

Half the reason my council doesn't take drivers to court as much as it should is due to cost, so they get a free pass, I also remember a mate got hit for £500 in 1988 in court for doing it, I saw recently one went to court and got fined £150 iirc, also imagine the revenue as well, you could have an enforcement officer who would only need to catch 2 per night to pay for himself, this could be and would be best done by council workers who take it in turn to go out for the overtime on top of their normal job, need training obviously, but it would keep the face fresh and act as a detterant even if nobody was out enforcing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:53 am 
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:

Yes it also says it isn't too bothered about looking at fees........now as you know.....LA's need money to enforce any law.....but they cannot currently use license fees to do it.

There wont be spot fines........you cannot use fines to create an income to subsidise a licensing unit.

It was a silly idea, raised by silly men, who lead lives training silly cab drivers......and they opened there silly mouths without actually doing any research........we are dealing with professional law people here, they are not a bunch of dumbos that will believe a room full of knuckle dragging cab drivers who like tub thumping.

CC

Agreed, but the law can be moddified, and that is what this commission has been asked to do isn't it.

Maybe my 3 strikes would be the best option on it's own?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:54 am 

Doom wrote:

tbh I think a £60 fine will do, wait until the PHD looks at his £350 at the end of the week and the £180 fines he's racked up, it's easier and less cost to the council and taxpayer that way, needs backing up with 3 strikes as well, get fined 3 times and badge is cut up in front of you.

Half the reason my council doesn't take drivers to court as much as it should is due to cost, so they get a free pass, I also remember a mate got hit for £500 in 1988 in court for doing it, I saw recently one went to court and got fined £150 iirc, also imagine the revenue as well, you could have an enforcement officer who would only need to catch 2 per night to pay for himself, this could be and would be best done by council workers who take it in turn to go out for the overtime on top of their normal job, need training obviously, but it would keep the face fresh and act as a detterant even if nobody was out enforcing.

Which licensing authority has enforcement officers out 3 times per week?

Second thoughts, which licensing authority has licensing officers out 1 time per week?

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:55 am 
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:

Which licensing authority has enforcement officers out 3 times per week?

Second thoughts, which licensing authority has licensing officers out 1 time per week?

CC

Ours do, but they seem to focus on us for roadworthyness rather than PH.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:00 am 

Doom wrote:

Ours do, but they seem to focus on us for roadworthyness rather than PH.

your one of the few.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:03 am 

captain cab wrote:

Thought we were talking about root and branch reform here, blue skies thinking, etc?

Quote:

But one of the problems with current enforcment is that the whole process is so cumbersome that the authorities just won't use it for so-called low level offences, so the whole thing ends up out of control.

Don't think it's a bad idea in principle myself, and since it's use elsewhere for the reasons above I don't see why the LC shouldn't be amenable to it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:07 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Thought we were talking about root and branch reform here, blue skies thinking, etc?

Quote:

But one of the problems with current enforcment is that the whole process is so cumbersome that the authorities just won't use it for so-called low level offences, so the whole thing ends up out of control.

Don't think it's a bad idea in principle myself, and since it's use elsewhere for the reasons above I don't see why the LC shouldn't be amenable to it.

I'm surprised at your comments tbh.......did you hear about them suspending drivers in ashfield for over ranking via CCTV? They called that enforcement too :sad: .........I suppose they could have a job each morning of using CCTV to fine all the drivers for not ranking correctly.....they'd make a fortune then.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:15 am 
captain cab wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Quote:

I'm surprised at your comments tbh.......did you hear about them suspending drivers in ashfield for over ranking via CCTV? They called that enforcement too :sad: .........I suppose they could have a job each morning of using CCTV to fine all the drivers for not ranking correctly.....they'd make a fortune then.

CC

That would be reasonable if they provide enough true rank space pro rata to car numbers, I think something that should be looked at is the LO must provide at least 3x as many rank spaces as there are licensed venue's in the area, even if it's temporary time limited ranks, so 9 bars = 27 spaces where possible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:18 am 

Doom wrote:

That would be reasonable if they provide enough true rank space pro rata to car numbers, I think something that should be looked at is the LO must provide at least 3x as many rank spaces as there are licensed venue's in the area, even if it's temporary time limited ranks, so 9 bars = 27 spaces where possible.

Your confusing the words reasonable and council.

I'm sorry to disagree but giving some LO's this type of power is asking for major long term trouble.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:20 am 

captain cab wrote:

Well clearly the Ashfield scenario was ever so slight disproportionate with the offence and clearly there were also doubts about the legal powers to use it to punish over ranking, so I don't think it's the best comparison to use against the principle of spot fines.

So no one seems to like spot fines, no one seems to like points systems, the current procedures are too cumbersome, so does anyone have any other suggestions apart from letting the trade numpties do as they please?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:21 am 
captain cab wrote:
Doom wrote:

Your confusing the words reasonable and council.

I'm sorry to disagree but giving some LO's this type of power is asking for major long term trouble.

CC

I think you could be correct on both counts on reflection, but it's options that can be tuned if need be, I take your point about handing power over to what might not be a very suitable council moralistically wise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next