Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:16 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:
It seems a small victory when faced with this

Quote:
It would remain the case that taxis would only be allowed to pick up passengers in their own area (unless they had a pre-booking). However, we will recommend freeing up cross-border working for private hire services. Operators would no longer
be limited to using drivers and vehicles from their own area; nor would they be restricted to only inviting or accepting bookings within that same licensing area. Under no circumstances would a private hire vehicle be allowed to pick up a
passenger without a pre-booking with a valid operator.

Maybe - but maybe they looked at a place like Manchester where it takes 5 months to get a PH license - then figured if the rules are the same for PH across the country then folks wouldn't need to travel around looking for easier alternatives?

I wonder if they will attempt to put into law what the Judge in Berwick recommended - the ability to refuse a HC license if the vehicle is to be worked remotely from the district?

If you remember..... I've always said to you that the part of numeral controls being abolished was simply there to frighten the Hackney Trade...... the real threat to everybody's income is still being recommended...... and as we all know if implemented will never ever be able to enforce..... they might as well simply exempt private hire companies from any form of licensing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 pm 

MR T wrote:
If you remember..... I've always said to you that that the part of numeral controls being abolished was simply there to frighten the Hackney Trade...... the real threat to everybody's income is still being recommended...... and as we all know if implemented will never ever be able to enforce..... they might as well simply exempt private hire companies from any form of licensing.

Operators, taxi radio circuits and intermediaries

14. We support the retention of private hire operator licensing, but recommend a tighter definition that would only cover dispatch functions. We suggest that requiring a licence for the mere acceptance or invitation of bookings (as under current law) is unnecessary and creates grey areas around smartphone applications, aggregator websites and other intermediaries. We recommend that intermediaries should only be liable if acting in the course of business, and if they assist in the provision of an unlicensed journey. We do not propose to extend licensing to taxi radio circuits.

Reading that - you could well be right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 pm 

In the short term the taxi trade in restricted areas have had a result.

In the longer term the national taxi trade, and the existing PH trade are f***ed.

Having massive national call centres is the way it will be, and the likes of Addison Lee, Delta, Blueline etc etc have had a similar result to those taxi owners in restricted areas.

However the large PH operators result will last forever, whilst I'm not convinced the restricted taxi trade's result will.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:36 pm 

Without having read it all, it appears to be "all the same" just tidier.

Personally, the Status Quo will do for me. I understand that it will not suit everyone but that was always going to be the case. For me, I have ended up in the "Could have been worse" gang and for now that will do.

That said, this is battle won, but the war is not over. Got a ways to go yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:38 pm 
blackpool wrote:
Sussex wrote:
RPLawCommission wrote:
One conclusion that will be of particular interest to many readers of TDO is that we have changed our minds on quantity restrictions. We will be recommending that licensing authorities should continue to have the right to limit numbers of taxis (hackneys).

Well you don't need to worry about anything else then.

The Taxi Trade in restricted areas are concerned with one thing, and you have just granted them their wish.

Many from those areas will be very happy tonight.

But from my view you are a bunch of gutless *****. :shock:

Poor little Sussex did you not get what you want ? Im as interested in your view as ......... not.Gutless ? from the man who gets a plate for free to sell straight away :lol: W anke r

There will always be those among us who do not like it up em!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:43 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Oh well at least now it won't take a few months before they can flood the streets of Manchester with the ph vehicles, it seems to me that the taxis will be swamped out of existence but not to worry because it's only private hire after all. From an operator point of view there are no limits, operators can now reduce costs to drivers and 'employ' 10 times the drivers they do now, it makes life a whole lot easier for operators.

But they're already flooding the streets of Manchester - its just Manchester cannot do proper enforcement.

From an operators point of view there has never been any limits - and if councils only have knowledge tests in place to limit then the councils are wrong.

Most of this mess has been created by councils brining in over burdensome regulations on PH - and that was never the intent of what is PH - most regulations on PH are at the behest of thicko taxi trade reps, who want all the same barriers for PH as HC - but not with the privilege of plying for hire.

If PH want standards they should be customer driven and operator driven - not regulated by a daft local authority who should only be responsible for the fitness and propriety of the person licensed.

Really?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:45 pm 

Of course once the LC have done their business, there is still the matter of implementing the taxi/PH provisions in the 2010 Equalities Act.

Unless they are thinking of changing that. :-k

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Of course once the LC have done their business, there is still the matter of implementing the taxi/PH provisions in the 2010 Equalities Act.

Unless they are thinking of changing that. :-k

Weren't ph excluded :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:36 pm 

toots wrote:

Vehicles yes, drivers no.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:37 pm 

Gobby wrote:

Another intelligent contribution from someone who thinks it's one big game.

Sadly the trade is full of such people who cannot see the bigger picture.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

Vehicles yes, drivers no.

So 100% of all drivers will have to abide by the law and it's not relevant to the vehicles of the phv which incidently are likely to be the largest group of providers, rather strange imo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:40 pm 

toots wrote:
So 100% of all drivers will have to abide by the law and it's not relevant to the vehicles of the phv which incidently are likely to be the largest group of providers, rather strange imo

I didn't write the act. :-s

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Gobby wrote:

Another intelligent contribution from someone who thinks it's one big game.

Sadly the trade is full of such people who cannot see the bigger picture.

I'm sure when ph operators have finished doing what they want to do some will be experiencing a lot more 'up 'em' than others :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:43 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:
One conclusion that will be of particular interest to many readers of TDO is that we have changed our minds on quantity restrictions. We will be recommending that licensing authorities should continue to have the right to limit numbers of taxis (hackneys).

IMO, The Law Commission have not gone far enough!!

There should now be intense lobbying to get limitation on PHV numbers too.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 pm 

Blimey, Zak, gives us a day to twos break!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next