Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:22 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
captain cab wrote:
I'm surprised at your comments tbh.......did you hear about them suspending drivers in ashfield for over ranking via CCTV? They called that enforcement too :sad: .........I suppose they could have a job each morning of using CCTV to fine all the drivers for not ranking correctly.....they'd make a fortune then.

Well clearly the Ashfield scenario was ever so slight disproportionate with the offence and clearly there were also doubts about the legal powers to use it to punish over ranking, so I don't think it's the best comparison to use against the principle of spot fines.

So no one seems to like spot fines, no one seems to like points systems, the current procedures are too cumbersome, so does anyone have any other suggestions apart from letting the trade numpties do as they please?

I think you kinda sum up the feeling of the crowd as well though Dusty.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:24 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
captain cab wrote:
I'm surprised at your comments tbh.......did you hear about them suspending drivers in ashfield for over ranking via CCTV? They called that enforcement too :sad: .........I suppose they could have a job each morning of using CCTV to fine all the drivers for not ranking correctly.....they'd make a fortune then.

Well clearly the Ashfield scenario was ever so slight disproportionate with the offence and clearly there were also doubts about the legal powers to use it to punish over ranking, so I don't think it's the best comparison to use against the principle of spot fines.

So no one seems to like spot fines, no one seems to like points systems, the current procedures are too cumbersome, so does anyone have any other suggestions apart from letting the trade numpties do as they please?

They did the same in Torquay.....followed Ashfields lead.

Cumbersome.....you mean a licensing officer having to get witness statements, fill in forms.....a driver attend a hearing and given a chance to clear his name? lol

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:34 am 

Quote:

Yes, two wrongs don't make a right. :D

Quote:
Cumbersome.....you mean a licensing officer having to get witness statements, fill in forms.....a driver attend a hearing and given a chance to clear his name? lol

Not sure if you're arguing against me or with me, but look at the rigmarole involved in prosecuting an illegal plyer - an FPN or whatever would surely be a lot more effective?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:41 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Quote:

Yes, two wrongs don't make a right. :D

Quote:

Not sure if you're arguing against me or with me, but look at the rigmarole involved in prosecuting an illegal plyer - an FPN or whatever would surely be a lot more effective?

lol good idea lets keep bashing away till they eventually find a heart and stop fining us....possibly because were all dead through starvation!

Wouldnt a FPN decriminalise it? Take the fine forget about the points on the DVLA license?

I'm arguing against you on this......we can't agree on anything....but at least the insults have stopped.

Although I must admit.....on your side of the argument.....I would cite a place like Sefton with going on for 4000 licensed vehicles? That place needs something possibly......perhaps higher fees and more staff and more councillors for hearings?

I dont know, I can see your side.....but I have also seen the other side with sh*te LO's who act like little fascists.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:43 am 

The cab trade should think very hard about giving up its right of appeal.....because once given away....it wont be given back.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:48 am 

captain cab wrote:
The cab trade should think very hard about giving up its right of appeal.....because once given away....it wont be given back.

So even if there were summary fines, decriminalisation or whatever, surely no one's suggested that there would be no appeal?

I mean, there's a whole industry out there dedicated to appealing civil parking fines.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:52 am 

captain cab wrote:
I dont know, I can see your side.....but I have also seen the other side with sh*te LO's who act like little fascists.

CC

Part of the problem here is that there's hundreds of LAs, all with their own rules, procedures and attitudes, but you don't want that changed either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:15 am 

Sussex wrote:
Does seem a little London centric to me. [-X

And there does seem an awful lot of pen pushers there.

Including, I might add, reps from the trade.

So I ask the question, at that meeting is there one full time taxi or private hire driver present? :-k

Each list of attendees seemed to get further and further away from the actual trade.

Quote:
Darren Cepa S2IPA Consultancy (Shared Service Implementation and Policy Advisers)

Who or what is this ?

Tried googling them but not a trace.

Quote:
Ian Millership Vice Chair, National Association of Taxi Users

Isn't this the chap who JD took to task over the SUD suvey in Edinburgh when he worked for Jacobs?

Now he's representing taxi users? You couldn't make it up. Seems to be doing SUD surveys for Mouchel these days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:19 am 

Sussex wrote:
So I ask the question, at that meeting is there one full time taxi or private hire driver present? :-k

What about these chaps:

Paul Brent Chairman, National Taxi Association

Tommy McIntyre National Taxi Representative, Unite the Union

Mick Hildreth Secretary, GMB Professional Drivers National Organising Committee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:39 am 

Law Commission wrote:
If this is right, then it might be appropriate to retain the ability to impose quantity controls, but to link it to a demonstration of congestion costs.

About as likely to happen as Doom's two suggestions that I highlighted earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 am 

Quote:
It may be that a procedure for approving local schemes to address this issue could be developed, to allow PHVs to act in a more taxi-like manner (eg with marshalled PHV “ranks”).

I thought it was all about clarifying the law, not muddying it.

A "more taxi-like manner" - sounds like a recipe for all sorts of confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:00 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Sussex wrote:

What about these chaps:

Paul Brent Chairman, National Taxi Association

Tommy McIntyre National Taxi Representative, Unite the Union

Mick Hildreth Secretary, GMB Professional Drivers National Organising Committee

The Captain would be best to confirm if the NTA rep is a full-time cabby or not, but I think he isn't.

Tommy is a full-time ????? Possibly trainer/union rep, but not a driver.

Mick is a full-time office manager.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:56 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
So even if there were summary fines, decriminalisation or whatever, surely no one's suggested that there would be no appeal?

I mean, there's a whole industry out there dedicated to appealing civil parking fines.

That's more or less what I mean.....nobody has put any thought into it.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:58 am 

The NTA chair is a badge holder if that counts :wink: and has worked in the trade for many years representing his local association and region.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:10 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Part of the problem here is that there's hundreds of LAs, all with their own rules, procedures and attitudes, but you don't want that changed either.

Part of the problem has been the changes made by government allowing local authorities to delegate too much power to licensing departments.

Certain local authorities have committees that meet once per year to rubber stamp whatever the LO has done or intends to do......that isn't right IMO.

We have LO's out there not enforcing the policy of the LA.....but having LA's enforce the LO's policies....the tail wagging the dog.

Everytime some of these idiots go away on their courses.....or **** style get togethers......they return to their areas with fresh ideas on how to scr*w the licensed trade.

We have unqualified ex coppers setting licensing budgets ffs

Yes I think there should be models. I think the fairest model is the committee system.

CC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next