Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:19 am 

I was talking to our enforcement officer yesterday and she told me that the licensing department was given more delegated powers last week. They don't now have to go to the committee for vertually anything.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:21 am 

grandad wrote:
I was talking to our enforcement officer yesterday and she told me that the licensing department was given more delegated powers last week. They don't now have to go to the committee for vertually anything.

That's a nice surprise for your area.....any consultation?

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:23 am 

captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

That's a nice surprise for your area.....any consultation?

CC

Don't be silly. I did say to her that this may cause some problems in the future and that I may join the NTA just in case. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:27 am 

grandad wrote:
Don't be silly. I did say to her that this may cause some problems in the future and that I may join the NTA just in case. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:30 am 

captain cab wrote:
grandad wrote:

Is that for there being no consultation or for me saying I may join the NTA?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:31 am 

grandad wrote:

Is that for there being no consultation or for me saying I may join the NTA?[/quote]

That you may join.......it would have been a double faint if you'd have been consulted :lol:

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:36 am 

There are market failures that are specific to the taxi market but which do not affect the PHV market. This is because the current distinguishing features of taxis, in the way consumers access them through street hailing and ranks, make normal competition impossible. This is because these forms of engagement by consumers in the market prevent competition on price and standards. The same is not true of the pre-booked market.

How can a cab.....picking up street hails and working cab ranks be described as a market failure?

Even their description of the 'failure' is p*ss poor.

'The forms of engagement by customers make normal competition impossible' that doesn't make any sense at all.

These people seem to be swallowing the cr*p fed to them by some PH operators or the likes of the IOL.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:02 am 

captain cab wrote:
There are market failures that are specific to the taxi market but which do not affect the PHV market. This is because the current distinguishing features of taxis, in the way consumers access them through street hailing and ranks, make normal competition impossible. This is because these forms of engagement by consumers in the market prevent competition on price and standards. The same is not true of the pre-booked market.

How can a cab.....picking up street hails and working cab ranks be described as a market failure?

'The forms of engagement by customers make normal competition impossible' that doesn't make any sense at all.

These people seem to be swallowing the cr*p fed to them by some PH operators or the likes of the IOL.

I think the problem they are having is in seeing the trade as the same but with 2 sides to it, whereas, you see it as 2 different trades.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:05 am 

toots wrote:

words of wisdom :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:10 am 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

A woman that know her own mind. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:25 am 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

captain cab wrote:

CC

Ooops :oops:

I think the problem they are having is in seeing the trade as the same but with 2 sides to it, whereas, you see it as 2 different trades.

I would blame the stupid iPad, but, I know better than to do that now :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:10 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Part of the problem here is that there's hundreds of LAs, all with their own rules, procedures and attitudes, but you don't want that changed either.

Part of the problem has been the changes made by government allowing local authorities to delegate too much power to licensing departments.

Certain local authorities have committees that meet once per year to rubber stamp whatever the LO has done or intends to do......that isn't right IMO.

We have LO's out there not enforcing the policy of the LA.....but having LA's enforce the LO's policies....the tail wagging the dog.

Everytime some of these idiots go away on their courses.....or **** style get togethers......they return to their areas with fresh ideas on how to scr*w the licensed trade.

We have unqualified ex coppers setting licensing budgets ffs

Yes I think there should be models. I think the fairest model is the committee system.

Yes, because you've got such a high opinion of councillors, haven't you? :roll:

Fair criticism of LOs, but put councillors into the mix and it's more a case of too many cooks rather than representing any improvement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:15 pm 

captain cab wrote:

So if the LAs didn't set prices and standards for vehicles how would the market work, precisely?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
captain cab wrote:

So if the LAs didn't set prices and standards for vehicles how would the market work, precisely?

In South Kesteven each individual company or owner sets their own fares and submit them to the council. Seems to work for them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:35 pm 

Well South Kevesten is perhaps a bit different from the mainstream, but even there there seems to be an element of regulation to it.

So you'd be quite happy going to a big city, engaging a taxi in the street and negotiating a fare with the driver?

Do you think that would work for all members of the public?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next