Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 pm 

toots wrote:

I love your faith in the public, it apparently knows no boundaries :lol:

If I go to a restaurant and have a bad meal - I don't go back.

If I get a minicab with a driver that doesn't know where he's going - I don't use them again.

That's what I told the LC in my response - that's how the system is designed to work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

I love your faith in the public, it apparently knows no boundaries :lol:

If I go to a restaurant and have a bad meal - I don't go back.

If I get a minicab with a driver that doesn't know where he's going - I don't use them again.

That's what I told the LC in my response - that's how the system is designed to work.

That is how it is when you live in a bubble, you're more intelligent than that and you know it doesn't work like that :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:33 pm 

toots wrote:

That is how it is when you live in a bubble, you're more intelligent than that and you know it doesn't work like that :roll:

I see - so you think I keep going to the same restaurant for bad food?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

I see - so you think I keep going to the same restaurant for bad food?

Of course I don't, but, when somebody has a bad experience (such as a driver not knowing where they are going) and it is apparent that all the drivers in that area don't know where they are going, what choice do the customers have? If the requirement for knowledge of an area is no longer insisted upon to obtain a license then the standards will drop they will not improve. The fact that all the customers that get into my vehicle think that the taxis are ripoffs it's going to leave a bit of a catch 22 situation. Pay more because taxis cost more to start with, but, go the short way or pay more because the cheaper ph driver doesn't know where they are going so goes the long way around :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:42 pm 

toots wrote:

Of course I don't, but, when somebody has a bad experience (such as a driver not knowing where they are going) and it is apparent that all the drivers in that area don't know where they are going, what choice do the customers have? If the requirement for knowledge of an area is no longer insisted upon to obtain a license then the standards will drop they will not improve. The fact that all the customers that get into my vehicle think that the taxis are ripoffs it's going to leave a bit of a catch 22 situation. Pay more because taxis cost more to start with, but, go the short way or pay more because the cheaper ph driver doesn't know where they are going so goes the long way around :?

Then I would suspect there will be an opening for a minicab firm in an area where the drivers know where they are going :roll:

Does the council need to tell minicabs when to go to the toilet as well?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:45 pm 

captain cab wrote:

But in tourist areas many times you never see the punters again.

And because they aren't locals, they won't know when they are being turned over. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 pm 

captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

Then I would suspect there will be an opening for a minicab firm in an area where the drivers know where they are going :roll:

Does the council need to tell minicabs when to go to the toilet as well?

No of course not but they did have to tell the taxi drivers to stop p*ssing on the back wheel :wink: I'm inclined to agree with you with regard to firm, however I don't believe the situation will be good for the customer at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 pm 

captain cab wrote:

I'm not convinced the PH market works that way.

Free-phones and brown paper envelopes mean many bookings are being done blind, so to speak.

Yes punters can use another firm at another time, but they don't.

And all the above doesn't take account of the fares downward spiral that will happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:56 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

I'm not convinced the PH market works that way.

Free-phones and brown paper envelopes mean many bookings are being done blind, so to speak.

Yes punters can use another firm at another time, but they don't.

And all the above doesn't take account of the fares downward spiral that will happen.

The downward spiral of fares will only apply when operators are justifying themselves to government ministers and saying how well it's worked, in reality the public will be ripped off as drivers try to make ends meet :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:
One conclusion that will be of particular interest to many readers of TDO is that we have changed our minds on quantity restrictions. We will be recommending that licensing authorities should continue to have the right to limit numbers of taxis (hackneys).

Government response March 2013

Reforming Quantity Controls

35. The Government agrees that licensing authorities should no longer have the power to restrict taxi numbers.
36. We recognise that loss of plate premiums and a possible over-supply of taxis might be undesirable effects associated with a removal of the power to restrict taxi numbers, although this is likely to even out over a period of time. Nonetheless, we would see advantage in putting special transitional measures in place. A staggered or phased removal of the power to control taxi numbers might be a sensible way to proceed.
37. We would ask the Law Commission to consider the best approach to a phased approach to quantity control removal in order to control the impact on the current market.

Maybe the coaches might be needed after all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:10 pm 

Right - "bunch of gutless *****" ; "bunch of lawyers". Sussex, come clean - which is worse?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:14 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:
Right - "bunch of gutless *****" ; "bunch of lawyers". Sussex, come clean - which is worse?

I couldn't possibly comment. :-#

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:15 pm 

Both youve upset him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:18 pm 

Sussex wrote:
RPLawCommission wrote:

I couldn't possibly comment. :-#

To be fair the first is something CC might say :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 pm 

First line says:

"Today we publish an interim statement of our conclusions on the key issues raised in the consultation paper, together with the responses we received".

I would love to see the responses - buggered if I am going to read all of them, but I would love to know who made a response. I can't find them on the LC website, anyone know how to get hold of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next