Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:17 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
So you'd be quite happy going to a big city, engaging a taxi in the street and negotiating a fare with the driver?

That is what the punters around here try to do, even on the shortest of journeys.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:12 pm 

captain cab wrote:
The NTA chair is a badge holder if that counts :wink: and has worked in the trade for many years representing his local association and region.

For the record I'm not having a pop at the NTA Chair, as I have heard some good things about him. Unlike the Secretary. 8-[

But at the meeting where some very (times a 1000) important issue will be discussed, not one full-time working licensed driver will be present, and IMO that's nothing short of a disgrace.

Maybe TDO members should arrange their own questions that could be put to the Law Commission, and maybe the Captain and I could present them in person.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:55 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Yes, because you've got such a high opinion of councillors, haven't you? :roll:

Fair criticism of LOs, but put councillors into the mix and it's more a case of too many cooks rather than representing any improvement.

Not particularly, but I think a driver should have the right of appeal to them.....as opposed to a licensing officer who was also the prosecutor :?

Too many cooks spoiling what could be described as a fair hearing....to which the driver has another form of appeal?

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:58 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
So if the LAs didn't set prices and standards for vehicles how would the market work, precisely?

I dont know.....and neither do they.

I mean they're on about dropping the PH Operators license......which will be fun as the person taking the call would have no responsibility / liability whatsoever :shock:

This entire thing is a complete f*ck up.........they havent got a clue what they want....and if they p*ss about with the current system we'll be left with a complete mess.

CC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:12 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I mean they're on about dropping the PH Operators license......

They do that and almost every PH driver in the country will be able to pick up where and when they choose, legally or ill-legally.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:14 am 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

They do that and almost every PH driver in the country will be able to pick up where and when they choose, legally or ill-legally.

Do you have a problem with that?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:32 am 
Here is the future face of cab driving, and I suggest if anyone does get face time with the right people they mention this FACT.

Average takings per day = £35 - £60

Average cost to run vehicle = £250 - £400 depending on WAV or Saloon.

Weekly take based on 7 shifts, because you will have to work 7 shifts = £245 - £400

In other words ZILTCH.

Esso will still be happy, the finance company and the radio circuit, the insurance company and at times the mechanic.

But what about the driver, he will be an assisted individual who claims benefits instead of wages, his end of the deal is he keeps the others going and his 4 kids provide the excuse for a wage in WFTC

So what is possibly going to happen is swamped market with people using it to qualify for WFTC, i.e no tax, no council tax, so if you are a single without children bloke, you will be competing with a bloke whose already £200pw infront of you before the engine turns on Monday morning, great planning, and if you think this is wrong, look at the part time drivers now, they are basically a prelude to what is to come en mass.

That guy that owns the firm isn't going to stop flooding the streets with cars, the more mugs he can get to pay for a radio the happier he is, he won't be considering the country of anyone else for that matter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:09 am 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

What do we expect when the people filling them with information are neither impartial or practical?

I get the feeling the new legislation will be as much use as t*ts on a man.

CC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:34 am 

grandad wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
So you'd be quite happy going to a big city, engaging a taxi in the street and negotiating a fare with the driver?

That is what the punters around here try to do, even on the shortest of journeys.

But I don't think they're the kind of people that the term 'market failure' is aimed at, nor who the Law Commission will have in mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:38 am 

Sussex wrote:
But at the meeting where some very (times a 1000) important issue will be discussed, not one full-time working licensed driver will be present, and IMO that's nothing short of a disgrace.

=D>

Quote:
Maybe TDO members should arrange their own questions that could be put to the Law Commission, and maybe the Captain and I could present them in person

I didn't think either of you were part of the, er, engagement process?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:46 am 

captain cab wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
So if the LAs didn't set prices and standards for vehicles how would the market work, precisely?

I dont know.....and neither do they.

Do I really need to spell it out? Try thinking the London mincab trade pre-licensing being allowed to ply for hire, for example.

Quote:
I mean they're on about dropping the PH Operators license......which will be fun as the person taking the call would have no responsibility / liability whatsoever :shock:

Indeed, but on the other hand that's currently what happens regarding the vast majority of the nation's HCs when they're doing pre-booked work.

Quote:
This entire thing is a complete f*ck up.........they havent got a clue what they want....and if they p*ss about with the current system we'll be left with a complete mess.

=D>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:03 am 

captain cab wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Yes, because you've got such a high opinion of councillors, haven't you? :roll:

Fair criticism of LOs, but put councillors into the mix and it's more a case of too many cooks rather than representing any improvement.

Not particularly, but I think a driver should have the right of appeal to them.....as opposed to a licensing officer who was also the prosecutor :?

Too many cooks spoiling what could be described as a fair hearing....to which the driver has another form of appeal?

Well I was talking more generally rather than in relation to the right of appeal regarding a disciplinary matter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:14 am 

toots wrote:
Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Do you have a problem with that?

I do with the illegally side.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
The NTA chair is a badge holder if that counts :wink: and has worked in the trade for many years representing his local association and region.

For the record I'm not having a pop at the NTA Chair, as I have heard some good things about him. Unlike the Secretary. 8-[

Maybe TDO members should arrange their own questions that could be put to the Law Commission, and maybe the Captain and I could present them in person.

The email addresses for the Law Commission have been open for a few months now on this subject.

They are there for us all to use.

If you read Richard Percival's speech to the NTA Conference, they are receptive to invitations to talk, listen and see.

We aim to do just that in Brum.

One of the most striking points that Richard Percival made in the Q & A session was when he said, "At the end of this process if we come up with something that you say, that can’t possibly work in practice because you hadn’t thought about that or this or the other. My answer is, well if I hadn’t of thought about it it’s your fault not my fault because you need to tell me what it is."

Whilst we all bellyache on TDO about this that and the other that is wrong with the trades [and I have no issue with that because that's what the TDO Forum is for], how many of us copy the bellyaching into an email to the Law Commission?

We only have a limited time!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:41 pm 
Good point Gramps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next