Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:47 pm 

MR T wrote:
It is a sad day when large private hire companies can influence the making of a new act so that they can become the equivalent of the old mill owners of the 19th and 20th century... but I suppose money talks.... it certainly pays for good representation

I don't think that everybody appreciates what may well happen when this comes about in their vain attempts of being superior because they drive a taxi, but, hey they soon will especially in the larger towns and cities :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 pm 

MR T wrote:
It is a sad day when large private hire companies can influence the making of a new act so that they can become the equivalent of the old mill owners of the 19th and 20th century... but I suppose money talks.... it certainly pays for good representation

It certainly does pay - I mean its not as if one national organisation has actually paid their admin for two years now :sad:

That aside - and I'm only guessing here - my guess is that the HC trades response to the LC from the provinces went entirely around limitation of numbers and plate values..........I'd also wager there was very little about technology and very little justification for pointing out why cross border PH is a really daft idea.

And I'm guessing again - but I reckon the reason why the LC has actually given ground on the deregulation argument is down to the efforts of the HC trade in their response - I'd also wager the reason they see no issue with cross border PH is because the HC trade failed to make valid arguments.

My final guess - is that the LC see PH as a choice a customer makes when they pick up a telephone and dial a number - I think they think - if the customer gets a really crappy service they wont call the PH company again - because that is how the market system works.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 pm 

toots wrote:
MR T wrote:

I don't think that everybody appreciates what may well happen when this comes about in their vain attempts of being superior because they drive a taxi, but, hey they soon will especially in the larger towns and cities :wink:

I would be so ashamed if I had anything to do with creating a new act that will virtually turn thousands and thousands of private hire drivers into slaves...... the big companies will all eat up all the small companies and then drivers will have nowhere to go, but to them.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 pm 

MR T wrote:
I would be so ashamed if I had anything to do with creating a new act that will virtually turn thousands and thousands of private hire drivers into slaves...... the big companies will all eat up all the small companies and then drivers will have nowhere to go, but to them.....

Have you turned into sussex during your short winter break? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 am 

captain cab wrote:
MR T wrote:

Have you turned into sussex during your short winter break? :lol:

No... I believe that people should be paid what they're worth ... I also believe that if a person is prepared to invest in his job, then it is only right that he has the ability to make more, if a person has a financial commitment he'll make sure he does his job right....... and I also believe that if you get something for nothing that"s exactly what it's worth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 am 

captain cab wrote:
It certainly does pay - I mean its not as if one national organisation has actually paid their admin for two years now :sad:

There are people striving to sort that. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdlyi5mc ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:06 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
captain cab wrote:

It's a shame you don't accept PH members you'd have a lot more money to spend like the NPHA and the unions that serve both sides of the trade :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:14 am 

MR T wrote:
No... I believe that people should be paid what they're worth ... I also believe that if a person is prepared to invest in his job, then it is only right that he has the ability to make more, if a person has a financial commitment he'll make sure he does his job right....... and I also believe that if you get something for nothing that"s exactly what it's worth

I think you're right - I also think people have the freedom to choose.

Perhaps if the tax credit system - which appears to play a major part of the minicab hidden economy - were changed you might get what you hope to achieve - but in fairness that isn't within the remit of the LC - although I actually think they wish it were. Perhaps the pseudo employed status needs addressed - this to is something the LC did mention is dispatches? This has been something the taxi trade has never put any true pressure on - until the past 18 months.

The fact is - be it HC or PH - if drivers don't think they are getting paid their worth they will leave - London's turnover of drivers bears testament to that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 am 

Chris the Fish wrote:
captain cab wrote:

and its appreciated :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:47 am 

captain cab wrote:
Then I would suspect there will be an opening for a minicab firm in an area where the drivers know where they are going :roll:

I think the Welsh Gov made a good point in relation to barrel scraping standards;

WELSH GOVERNMENT RESPONSE
While there is merit in the Commission’s argument in circumstances in which the consumer has access to competing private hire services, that is not always the case. In more rural parts of Wales, for example, it is unlikely that passengers will have access to more than one nearby operator. Those persons should not have to accept potentially poor standards because there is no alternative provider.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:53 am 

Sussex wrote:
RPLawCommission wrote:
One conclusion that will be of particular interest to many readers of TDO is that we have changed our minds on quantity restrictions. We will be recommending that licensing authorities should continue to have the right to limit numbers of taxis (hackneys).

Government response March 2013

Reforming Quantity Controls

35. The Government agrees that licensing authorities should no longer have the power to restrict taxi numbers.
36. We recognise that loss of plate premiums and a possible over-supply of taxis might be undesirable effects associated with a removal of the power to restrict taxi numbers, although this is likely to even out over a period of time. Nonetheless, we would see advantage in putting special transitional measures in place. A staggered or phased removal of the power to control taxi numbers might be a sensible way to proceed.
37. We would ask the Law Commission to consider the best approach to a phased approach to quantity control removal in order to control the impact on the current market.

Maybe the coaches might be needed after all.

And Welsh Gov response.

PROVISIONAL PROPOSAL 54
Licensing authorities should no longer have the power to restrict taxi numbers.
QUESTION 55
What temporary or permanent problems might arise if licensing authorities lost the ability to restrict numbers? Under current legislation, licensing authorities have the option to limit taxi numbers, but only in the absence of “unmet demand”. Restricted numbers limit competition and so consumer choice. Quantity controls also create a market for taxi licences. In some parts of England, there is evidence that a taxi licence can command up to £60,000. An as yet unimplemented provision of the Equality Act 2010 would further restrain authorities’ scope to limit numbers by preventing the refusal of a licence to a wheelchair-accessible taxi. As at the end of February 2012, some 93 licensing authorities had quantity controls in place. Approximately 21,000 vehicles are currently operating in areas with quantity controls, accounting for just over ¼ of all taxis operating in England and Wales. Lack of provision can push consumers into taking unlicensed vehicles. Taxi representative groups have highlighted the potential benefits to the public through restricting numbers which flow from a more stable and better paid trade. However, those could also be achieved through regulation targeted at ensuring appropriate quality standards. On balance, the Commission is proposing that arguments in favour of deregulation, and for the abolition of quantity controls, are most convincing.

WELSH GOVERNMENT RESPONSE
We endorse this proposal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 am 

MR T wrote:
Toots... I think you will find that the private hire companies here advertise themselves as agents for the driver...... meaning the book stops with the driver

Thankfully the legal buck stops with the operator.

That said if a driver and/or vehicle are iffy, then they can also be done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:57 am 

The Welsh government contradict themselves;

persons should not have to accept potentially poor standards because there is no alternative provider.

achieved through regulation targeted at ensuring appropriate quality standards

They can't have it both ways.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:16 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
There should now be intense lobbying to get limitation on PHV numbers too.

Not a fan of restricting PH numbers, but if I was to lobby on such an issue I would ask the LC why when they say in respect of taxis;

We no longer recommend abolishing quantity controls. We initially proposed that local authorities should lose the ability to limit the number of taxis licensed in their area on the basis of economic theory, whereby the market could be left to determine the appropriate number of vehicles. The weight of evidence received during consultation and further comparative research have led us to change this key recommendation in order to allow licensing authorities to limit taxi numbers should they wish to do so.

Why that also doesn't apply to PHVs. :-k

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 am 

Sussex wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:
There should now be intense lobbying to get limitation on PHV numbers too.

Not a fan of restricting PH numbers, but if I was to lobby on such an issue I would ask the LC why when they say in respect of taxis;

We no longer recommend abolishing quantity controls. We initially proposed that local authorities should lose the ability to limit the number of taxis licensed in their area on the basis of economic theory, whereby the market could be left to determine the appropriate number of vehicles. The weight of evidence received during consultation and further comparative research have led us to change this key recommendation in order to allow licensing authorities to limit taxi numbers should they wish to do so.

Why that also doesn't apply to PHVs. :-k

I think its typical cab trade - in being very lucky to persuade the LC that locals should have some ability to limit taxi numbers - to change their minds which is a minor miracle given the LC's original position - they now believe to limit PH is a natural progression.

It doesn't seem to occur that the over bearing local rules adopted by councils, very often on the suggestion of the taxi trade towards private hire - are the rules that created the situation with out of town taxis. Councils have adopted rules which make the taxi trade practically indistinguishable from the private hire trade and then bleat on about the public not knowing the difference.

The taxi trade ignorance of private hire is truly remarkable - the ignorance of the London cab trade especially so - I still find myself talking to cab drivers and trying to explain that every PHV isn't a simple minicab.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next