Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:21 pm 

Mr Roland has written an interesting opinion in September's PHM.

http://www.phtm.co.uk/newspaper.asp (page 8-9).

Love the bit about the PH Barons not wanting a one-tier system. 8-[

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:29 pm 

Can't you put it up without the link, my iPad doesn't support flash player so I can't read it :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Mr Roland has written an interesting opinion in September's PHM.

http://www.phtm.co.uk/newspaper.asp (page 8-9).

Love the bit about the PH Barons not wanting a one-tier system. 8-[

Is it me or does Rowland talk like a you know what??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:11 pm 

One thing Mr Roland did mention on another page was his assertion that 'by far and away the biggest mode of gaining a taxi or private hire vehicle was via a mobile phone'.

Now I've never really thought about it, but are more phone bookings taken via a mobile rather than a fixed or direct phone line? :-k

And are more mobile bookings take than hirings from the ranks? :-k

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:28 am 
Sussex wrote:
One thing Mr Roland did mention on another page was his assertion that 'by far and away the biggest mode of gaining a taxi or private hire vehicle was via a mobile phone'.

Now I've never really thought about it, but are more phone bookings taken via a mobile rather than a fixed or direct phone line? :-k

He's correct though, years ago you hailed when you were out, now instead of standing in a wet road hoping someone will stop for you it's sat in the pub with a beer waiting for the message to come through that your car has arrived it's a pink Skoda Octavia and the drivers name is Mel, formerly Melvin now Melanie :lol:

On the other issue, if a company owner thinks logical he doesn't want one tier, as said who wants the fleet freelancing when it's busy, hence why a Hack is a convenience, and a PH is a date.

I think you'll agree with me Mark that there are folks about to tinker with something they've never done nor do the understand about it, and as I used to say before, there isn't the margin in this job to experiment, if it doesn't work out they kill the job and it takes decades to rectify itself.

An old mate, formerly the owner of a PH firm I worked for when I started had this saying about life........go cheap, go skint, I've always remembered it and it is true, it's also the reason why our country is dying rapidly yet expensive Scandinavian countries seem bulletproof, imagine you paid £1 PM more for your mobile contract but the up side was you spoke to someone who you could understand and was living here paying UK tax and spending into the UK economy, and also instead of getting £6 PH that person was getting £10 PH, isn't that worth another quid PM?

And btw I'm not back to fight with you, I've read you while I've been away and I can see you aren't a fool, we may not agree on things but that is how life is, and your football team is living on borrowed time right now, once you get sussed out that the team falls over to get the others booked and sent off you will drop down the division, along with Scumpton, nice ground btw, I went past it about a year ago and I have to say it's impressive to say the least 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:00 am 

Sussex wrote:

I have caller recognition on my phone and I would say that at least 90% of our calls are from mobiles, even if the person is ringing from a residential address.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:58 am 

grandad wrote:
I have caller recognition on my phone and I would say that at least 90% of our calls are from mobiles, even if the person is ringing from a residential address.

The two points that made me think he wasn't right, was the amount of work many firms get via freephones, and the amount of taxi work gained from the ranks and the streets.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:37 am 

It doesn't matter how the call is made......its how the call is received.

IMO All PH operators should in theory have a land-line provision which perhaps diverts to a mobile for those one man bands out there.

CC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 am 

captain cab wrote:

IMO All PH operators should in theory have a land-line provision which perhaps diverts to a mobile for those one man bands out there.

CC

Most of the memorable taxi numbers that are used are not actual numbers. They are diverted to any number that you like.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:47 am 

grandad wrote:
captain cab wrote:

CC

Most of the memorable taxi numbers that are used are not actual numbers. They are diverted to any number that you like.

Yes, but caselaw dictates its where the call is received that should have the operators license.

CC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:53 pm 

toots wrote:
Can't you put it up without the link, my iPad doesn't support flash player so I can't read it :sad:

Oh you poor iPad snob!!!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:19 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
toots wrote:

Oh you poor iPad snob!!!

It's not snobby it's a work tool but obviously not as good as a laptop when it comes to this site :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:27 pm 

toots wrote:
It's not snobby it's a work tool but obviously not as good as a laptop when it comes to this site :roll:

Most other tablets allow flash, and I suspect the newer Ipads will as Mr I Hate Adobe has stood down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:

Most other tablets allow flash, and I suspect the newer Ipads will as Mr I Hate Adobe has stood down.

Well it's all new to me I'll have to get my daughter to look at it and see what she can do for me :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:03 am 
As it's now gone PC :badgrin: in here, any of you who own a Sony X10, it's just been up'd to Gingerbread, i.e Android 2.3, makes a new phone out of an old one now with Youtube,flash and pinch zoom =D>