Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:00 pm 

I've put this in the Cab Act Section as I think it should be noticed by the Law Commission and anyone else supporting bog standard requirements for PH.

Following a message from a London PH rep I asked the head of TfL's Taxi Section what the retention rate is for London licensed private hire drivers i.e. those that do, and those that don't renew their driver's license when they expire.

I'm grateful to Mr John Mason for his speedy reply, in which he confirmed that in the first 5 months of this year (2012) 55.8% of drivers who's licenses expired renewed.

Which means that 44.2% of drivers, whose licenses run out this year, have decided to leave the trade for good. :shock:

I find that stat quite shocking. :shock: :shock:

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:20 pm 

If ever there was a reason not to include London in the new Cab Act, then the above stats are it.

If London was part of the act then the whole country would be forced to accept London's PH standards, which despite what those working in the City see, are generally quite sh**. :shock:

Will the gov set higher PH standards than those in London, well if 45% of the trade are leaving that's highly unlikely, unless they want 75% to leave.

So please Law Commission get away from the Griffin myths that London PH are the standard that the rest of the country should follow, because they are not. London PH standards would decimate the country's PH trade, in the same way it's decimating the London PH trade.

Or if London must be in the party, let councils set their own PH standards in the same way as that you, the Law Commission, are proposing they set taxi standards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:33 pm 

I think I wrote that stat in an article about griffen and his bus lane shenagans.......that aside it explains a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 pm 

I wonder what % of those drivers that didn't renew their license were conned into being here in the first place by those companies promising riches on the streets of Britain :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:16 am 

And presumably if the Group 2 medical requirement was removed from London PH then there would be even more drivers and a higher turnover.

As far as I can make out the LC isn't specific as regards its recommendation on medical standards, but it does say, at para 4.11:

"Imposing Group 2 requirements can, however, be perceived as overly restrictive...."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:24 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:

"Imposing Group 2 requirements can, however, be perceived as overly restrictive...."

Yeah.....damn those restrictions :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:45 am 
toots wrote:
I wonder what % of those drivers that didn't renew their license were conned into being here in the first place by those companies promising riches on the streets of Britain :roll:

Now you be careful there, you might just f**k up the mug the immigrant strategy that has allowed these firms to expand so largely,

I think the way round this is to ask the customer if they want cheap cabs or quality cabs, if they want quality then they will have to pay a rate that provides a proper income and hope that results in an English speaking driver who knows where he's going and can hold the famous cabby chat without problem, this is why the world is falling apart, the lack of cabby chat sorting out the world issues has knocked on because there simply is no one else in the world to sort out world problems. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:05 am 

Doom wrote:
I think the way round this is to ask the customer if they want cheap cabs or quality cabs,

That's exactly the scenario that the LC guys envisage.

They said [Coventry Show] that if a passenger wished to travel in a lesser quality vehicle at a lower price, then that service should be available for those that wanted it.

WTF you legislate for that and enforce safety as well I just don't understand.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:14 am 

Alex wrote:
I've put this in the Cab Act Section as I think it should be noticed by the Law Commission and anyone else supporting bog standard requirements for PH.

Following a message from a London PH rep I asked the head of TfL's Taxi Section what the retention rate is for London licensed private hire drivers i.e. those that do, and those that don't renew their driver's license when they expire.

I'm grateful to Mr John Mason for his speedy reply, in which he confirmed that in the first 5 months of this year (2012) 55.8% of drivers who's licenses expired renewed.

Which means that 44.2% of drivers, whose licenses run out this year, have decided to leave the trade for good. :shock:

I find that stat quite shocking. :shock: :shock:

Alex

AND

Sussex wrote:
If ever there was a reason not to include London in the new Cab Act, then the above stats are it.

If London was part of the act then the whole country would be forced to accept London's PH standards, which despite what those working in the City see, are generally quite sh**. :shock:

Will the gov set higher PH standards than those in London, well if 45% of the trade are leaving that's highly unlikely, unless they want 75% to leave.

So please Law Commission get away from the Griffin myths that London PH are the standard that the rest of the country should follow, because they are not. London PH standards would decimate the country's PH trade, in the same way it's decimating the London PH trade.

Or if London must be in the party, let councils set their own PH standards in the same way as that you, the Law Commission, are proposing they set taxi standards.

I don’t suppose for one minute that the 44.2% non-renewal rate for driver’s licences has anything remotely to do with the medieval serfdoms that these drivers are subjected to by the PH operators in the capital!!

:doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:24 am 

Sussex wrote:

The LC want uniform maximum standards for PH countrywide WITHOUT LAs having the option of upgrading those standards, those same standards to be minimum standards for HC, but WITH LAs having the option to upgrade those standards if they wish and they believe that this scenario will eradicate cross-boarder licensing.

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:36 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
I don’t suppose for one minute that the 44.2% non-renewal rate for driver’s licences has anything remotely to do with the medieval serfdoms that these drivers are subjected to by the PH operators in the capital!!

I would say when something is worthless - losing it doesnt mean much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 am 

captain cab wrote:
Brummie Cabbie wrote:

I would say when something is worthless - losing it doesnt mean much.

Exactly!!

Brummie Cabbie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:38 am 

Had an interesting conversation regarding one of the bigger private hire companies in Sefton, it would seem they have to replace approximately 100 drivers a week... which would fall in with figures from another thread, suggesting Sefton has five thousands new hire drivers each year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:34 pm 

MR T wrote:
Had an interesting conversation regarding one of the bigger private hire companies in Sefton, it would seem they have to replace approximately 100 drivers a week... which would fall in with figures from another thread, suggesting Sefton has five thousands new powers hire drivers each year.

Why do they 'need' to replace drivers, surely it would be better to look at the reasons why they are leaving and address that problem first, then so many may not leave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:33 pm 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
They said [Coventry Show] that if a passenger wished to travel in a lesser quality vehicle at a lower price, then that service should be available for those that wanted it.

If their cross border proposals get adopted then punters will have a choice.

However I work in an area with, in my view, high PH standards, and we run a relatively high tariff compared, with some in the PHM tariff list, yet I never receive any complaints that our rates are too high, never ever.

In the same way I never get any comments that are standards are too high.

So please Law Commission on this issue you are 100% out of your minds. :sad: