Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:18 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
Things are looking up though, as the industry is projected to grow by 2.5% in 2012-13.

Thank the Lord for that.

Very interesting this report has come out at this time. :-k

Wonder where they got their figures from? The projected overall growth for the Uk is only set to rise to 1.5% in 2013 and 2.6% in 2014. Also I wonder what % of the 8.8 billion is actually drivers earnings and do they count it twice once when the driver earns the money and then again when the operator earns his money or the car sales guy makes his sale etc :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:06 pm 

Quote:
The increase in competition among drivers at a time of decreasing demand for services resulted in losses in 2008-09 and 2009-10, with margins expected to be scant in 2012-13.

Now thats a very interesting statement

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:17 pm 

IBISWorld wrote:
Taxi Operation in the UK Industry Market Research Report Now Updated by IBISWorld

Fierce competition between taxis and hire cars for passengers has marked the Taxi Operation in the UK industry in the five years through 2012-13. Revenue is forecast to decline an annualised 0.1% to reach £8.85 billion in 2012-13. Things are looking up though, as the industry is projected to grow by 2.5% in 2012-13. The Taxi Operation industry is made up of the operators of taxis, private hire vehicles (PHV) and organisations that connect drivers with customers and facilitate the provision of industry services. On the volume side of the equation, the recession caused demand for services to falter. The lack of a clear economic recovery has suppressed demand for industry services. The increase in competition among drivers at a time of decreasing demand for services resulted in losses in 2008-09 and 2009-10, with margins expected to be scant in 2012-13. The outlook over the next five years to 2017-18 for industry revenue is moderate. Notably, London will host the 2012 Olympic Games, resulting in tens of thousands of tourists flocking to the city to participate and spectate. This will result in a surge in demand for industry services and stronger revenue growth than has been experienced in the past five years. For these reasons, industry research firm IBISWorld has updated its report on the Taxi Operation industry.

So are they trying to say that the Olympics has increased their forecast of trade revenue from £1.4 billion to nearly £9 billion? And all this despite "suppressed demand" generally because of the recession? Image

Some 'interesting' statements in the rest of the text as well. Somehow I don't think I'll be shelling out hundreds to IBIS expecting an authoritative report on the state of the trade :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:31 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:

So are they trying to say that the Olympics has increased their forecast of trade revenue from £1.4 billion to nearly £9 billion? And all this despite "suppressed demand" generally because of the recession? Image

Some 'interesting' statements in the rest of the text as well. Somehow I don't think I'll be shelling out hundreds to IBIS expecting an authoritative report on the state of the trade :roll:

I dont think I'll be shelling out either.....but strangely enough thats what the Law Commission expected us all to do the first time they come up with figures.

Its a fact the law commission accepted the first set of figures in their original assessment, these figures seem to prove the LC were 5 times out, now that is one hell of an error.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:34 pm 

Sussex wrote:
toots wrote:
Quote:
The Taxi Operation industry is dominated by owner operators and the self employed. As a result, there are no major players in this industry

When they come out with rubbish like this how can you trust anything they say :?

Well it depends what one classes as 'major players'.

There are (according to the stats in the LC report) 155,000 licensed PH vehicles in England and Wales. The largest PH operator has about 3,000 vehicles on their fleet. Which equates to 2%.

I'm not sure that makes them major players in economical terms.

Now in ten or twenty years time things may be different, but as of today I think the comments from IBIS can be treated as fair.

I assume they're talking about the trade nationally. There are certainly 'major players' at the local level, at least in terms of booking office operations - what IBIS seems to call "organisations that connect drivers with customers and facilitate the provision of industry services" - if not ownership, which of course tends to be fragmented.

Of course, that could be further refined. It's surely reasonable to describe Delta as a 'major player' in Merseyside, but as far as I know the cars are owner-driven, so the major player aspect is merely with regard to "organisations that connect drivers with customers".

On the other hand, Addisson Lee is arguably a major player in its segment, but since (I think) it owns the vehicles then it's a major player in two respects, ie as per Delta but also with regard to vehicle ownership as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:40 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I dont think I'll be shelling out either.....but strangely enough thats what the Law Commission expected us all to do the first time they come up with figures.

Its a fact the law commission accepted the first set of figures in their original assessment, these figures seem to prove the LC were 5 times out, now that is one hell of an error.

Well I think they'll just blame IBIS, and rightly so.

The revised IA shows the difficulties involved in coming up with 'robust' figures.

Would be interesting to see how IBIS quantified their revenue figures. There's clearly a lot of uncertainty with the LC's own revised figures, but at least the narrative they've supplied provides some insight into the problems involved.

Of course, I suspect the likes of the unions will use the lack of clarity to rubbish the LC generally. But whether they succeed in that regard is another matter.

Personally I don't really see the figures as being of much relevance; what's more important are the substantive proposals.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:45 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:

Well I think they'll just blame IBIS, and rightly so.

The revised IA shows the difficulties involved in coming up with 'robust' figures.

Would be interesting to see how IBIS quantified their revenue figures. There's clearly a lot of uncertainty with the LC's own revised figures, but at least the narrative they've supplied provides some insight into the problems involved.

Of course, I suspect the likes of the unions will use the lack of clarity to rubbish the LC generally. But whether they succeed in that regard is another matter.

Personally I don't really see the figures as being of much relevance; what's more important are the substantive proposals.

Yeah, its easier to blame IBIS than themselves for not actually doing any research ](*,)

ffs....we aint talking hundreds or thousands out, we're talking nearly 7 billion quid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:00 pm 

Well I suspect it basically comes down to a cost-benefit analysis - the amount of work involved in computing really robust figures wouldn't be worth the effort.

Reading the limited amount of stuff from IBIS that we have access to I suspect their problem is that they're using market analysis techniques that they use for the mainstream economy but which don't really transfer too well as regards analysing the taxi and PH trades.

And the LC's initial problem in that regard was that they relied on the IBIS figures without much in the way of critique, and of course the stats weren't even in the correct ball park.

To what extent it's reasonable for the likes of the LC to rely on the likes of IBIS I don't know, but from the spiel provided by IBIS they're obviously regarded as an authoritative source more generally, so to that extent the LC can just shift the blame if anyone tries to make a meal out of it all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:03 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Well I suspect it basically comes down to a cost-benefit analysis - the amount of work involved in computing really robust figures wouldn't be worth the effort.

Reading the limited amount of stuff from IBIS that we have access to I suspect their problem is that they're using market analysis techniques that they use for the mainstream economy but which don't really transfer too well as regards analysing the taxi and PH trades.

And the LC's initial problem in that regard was that they relied on the IBIS figures without much in the way of critique, and of course the stats weren't even in the correct ball park.

To what extent it's reasonable for the likes of the LC to rely on the likes of IBIS I don't know, but from the spiel provided by IBIS they're obviously regarded as an authoritative source more generally, so to that extent the LC can just shift the blame if anyone tries to make a meal out of it all.

You have your opinion and I have mine, they're not the same, but there's little change there.

I cant see how they can do an accurate assessment when they could be out by billions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:05 pm 

captain cab wrote:

You have your opinion and I have mine, they're not the same, but there's little change there.

I cant see how they can do an accurate assessment when they could be out by billions.

So how do you suggest they collect more robust data, oh wise one? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:

So how do you suggest they collect more robust data, oh wise one? :roll:

lol.....give me £333,333 and I'll think about it :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:04 am 

captain cab wrote:
So who do we actually believe, the Lc originally stated £1.4 Billion, this was revised to £2.4 Billion, now we have these people saying £8.85 Billion.

:roll:

Any advance on £8.85Bn?

Going, going, gone! SOLD to the Law Commission!

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:15 am 

The bit I can't get my head round in the Impact Assessment is;
From page 2 of the Impact Assessment where it is wrote:
Description and scale of key monetised benefits by ‘main affected groups’
On-going benefit: Taxi users - Reduced waiting time, £1,987,960 (best estimate); Taxi trade - Reduced regulatory burden, £25,000,000 per year (best estimate); Removal of unmet demand survey, £620,000 per year (best estimate); Reduced assaults on taxi drivers.

HTF can this project of changing the legislation 'Reduce assaults on taxi drivers'?

Or does the new, revised Impact Assessment now firmly place this 'Reforming the law of taxi and private hire services' in the land of the cuckoo?

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:03 am 

Brummie Cabbie wrote:
HTF can this project of changing the legislation 'Reduce assaults on taxi drivers'?

Or does the new, revised Impact Assessment now firmly place this 'Reforming the law of taxi and private hire services' in the land of the cuckoo?

Safety and assault evidence

Safety improvements are a significant objective of the proposed legislative reform. Safety improvements would stem from two sources: first, a reduction in journeys involving an unlicensed vehicle and/or driver, and secondly, improved and uniform vehicle safety standards.

page 17/18

Transport for London reported 111 cab-related sexual offences in 2010 alone and Greater Manchester Police recorded 98 offences of rape or sexual assault linked to taxis and private hire vehicles in the same period.

Whilst the latter figure may appear to be disproportionately high, the data was obtained through a Freedom of Information request. In its response, Greater Manchester Police noted that the information given was based on a search for offences where keywords such as "taxi", "cab" and "minicab". This means that offences which took place against a taxi-related background, but were not perpetrated by the driver or passenger may have been included. A recent Freedom of Information request submitted to Merseyside Police revealed 22 sexual offences alleged to have been committed by taxi or private hire drivers against passengers.

The Home Office 2003/04 study of the cost of crime estimated that the most costly crimes are those such as sexual offences and homicide which have a very high emotional and physical impact. The estimated total cost of £31,438 (in 2003 prices) attempts to capture the costs to the criminal justice system, lost productivity but even so it still considerably underestimates costs.

Driver safety

It is important to recognise that drivers too are at risk. In the past 20 years, 63 taxi or private hire drivers have been murdered.
Whilst this figure does not distinguish between those who were killed whilst working and those whose deaths were not linked to the trade, it is nevertheless a substantial concern. Drivers are frequently victims of assaults and robberies. Our proposals would allow for driver safety measures to be provided for by regulation.

page 25

5. Reduction in the number of assaults of taxi users

Our proposals should have the result of reducing the number of unlicensed vehicles and dirvers, as well as the number of touts. Better enforcement will act as a deterrent, encouraging providers to work within the regulated sector, and will allow greater targeting of rogue traders. Removing confusion around which vehicles should be licensed will also ensure more vehicles which ought to be licensed will be, for example limousines. Thus fewer passengers should be carried by wholly unlicensed drivers, who are likely to be much more dangerous to passengers than safety-checked licensed drivers. Although the move to allow enhanced CRB checks will have gone a significant way towards improving passenger safety where drivers are licensed, we believe that our proposals will continue this trend.

Offences against passengers most commonly include sexual offences, assault and theft. Taking sexual offences as an example, the estimated total cost of £38,359 (in 2011 prices) provides a measure of the economy-wide benefit of preventing sexual crimes. If 111 cases have been reported in London alone, which accounts for about 30 percent of all taxi services, nation-wide the figure must be closer to 400 reported cases.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:04 am 

I think they're making this up as they go along.

:roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next