Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 pm 

blackpool wrote:
RPLawCommission wrote:
I expect you'll be horrified to know that we are doing a project on level crossings as well.

Should be slightly easier than taxis !

Yeah because if anything needs barriers, and lots of them, it's level crossings :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 pm 

http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/are ... ssings.htm, if you're really interested.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:
http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/areas/level-crossings.htm, if you're really interested.

It appears that you get all the exciting stuff to read :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:03 am 

OK, a few comments from me:
level crossings- PLEASE people, DO NOT run the risk by going round barriers/jumping red flashing crossing lights. Ina previous life I was a train driver, and it is rather disconcerting when some t*** drives a car in front of the train, especially when the train is doing any sort of speed. a train at 125mph take just under a mile to stop. a 1200 tonne freight train at 60 takes about the same distance; a short local train at 30 takes about 250 yards to stop; chances are by the time the train driver sees you, your car will be a packet of razor blades fairly soon and your trip home will be in a black private ambulance. I've also lost 2 friends who were loco drivers on the local steam railway because drivers jumped red lights. It cannot be very pleasant being scalded to death for 20 minutes trapped in the cab of a steam loco.

Private hire cross-border hire-where I operate, in a semi-rural bit of Kent, we have 260-odd hacks and 38 private hire. there's only 1 hack in my town, the rest are p/h. Why? Because the local p/h don't really want to do the knowledge of Folkestone when they have little intention of working there. We're some 15 miles from Folkestone and Ashford, but Ashford is a different LA.Sometimes we get a call from Ashford for a pick-up which we can't do, but legally cannot sub the job out to an Ashford p/h or hack! A local hack CAN, and this is anti-competitive. Sometimes I get a call for a Heathrow pick-up. If I wanted to sub this to a ph or taxi company near Heathrow I couldn't legally do so. Why? I could do if it was a coach job! I can sub coach jobs out to anyone in the country and hire coaches in from anywhere to cover my work.

I don't want to see any lowering of standards for entry into either side of the industry, in fact I think standards ought to be higher to prevent what some call the "gutter element" starting up and starting up too cheap. Maybe there should be some sort of financial safety net involved like we have in the bus industry.There we have to have about £9000 in reserve for the first licence, and about £6000 reserve for every additional licence before licences are issued.

One of the ideas I put to the LC was that licencing and enforcement should be based on the VOSA boundaries of about 8 areas which would have simplified things considerably. there really does need to be a set of national standards for everything.

As for local enforcement, as I've posted elsewhere, in my area we have a licencing committee of 12; a licencing department of 3, and an enforcement team of 1, and he has to enforce restaurants, sex shops, tattoo parlours, taxis, pubs, amusement arcades..so how can he effectively enforce taxi regs?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:27 am 

roythebus wrote:
Sometimes we get a call from Ashford for a pick-up which we can't do, but legally cannot sub the job out to an Ashford p/h or hack! A local hack CAN, and this is anti-competitive. Sometimes I get a call for a Heathrow pick-up. If I wanted to sub this to a ph or taxi company near Heathrow I couldn't legally do so. Why? I could do if it was a coach job! I can sub coach jobs out to anyone in the country and hire coaches in from anywhere to cover my work.

You have always been able to pass the work on to a hackney licensed anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 pm 

RPLawCommission wrote:
I expect you'll be horrified to know that we are doing a project on level crossings as well.

I expect you may have wondered out of all the examples I could have picked - I cited that one :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
captain cab wrote:
toots wrote:

I love your faith in the public, it apparently knows no boundaries :lol:

If I go to a restaurant and have a bad meal - I don't go back.

If I get a minicab with a driver that doesn't know where he's going - I don't use them again.

That's what I told the LC in my response - that's how the system is designed to work.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In our area the firm with the most drivers and work are the ones who get 95% of all complaints but people still keep using them why because they quote cheap

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:
Then I would suspect there will be an opening for a minicab firm in an area where the drivers know where they are going :roll:

I think the Welsh Gov made a good point in relation to barrel scraping standards;

WELSH GOVERNMENT RESPONSE
While there is merit in the Commission’s argument in circumstances in which the consumer has access to competing private hire services, that is not always the case. In more rural parts of Wales, for example, it is unlikely that passengers will have access to more than one nearby operator. Those persons should not have to accept potentially poor standards because there is no alternative provider.

In my experience where there is no competition the quality of the service provided is usually higher but the drivers don't work 80 + hours a week

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 pm 

I was hoping to see something in the report along the lines of applicants having a 2 or 3 year clean license and CRB before being allowed to have a badge I think it is too easy for foreign criminals to walk into a job driving a taxi/ph in the UK

I am also deeply worried that we will still have neighbouring districts where one is restricted for Hackney and the other isn't which results in large numbers of PH from the restricted district pouring into the other as hackney drivers. I think even if allowing some councils to retain restrictions is kept then some sort of quota system such as a maximum limit of the number of hackney licenses in a district as say a ratio to population might help reduce the flooding effect which some areas suffer

I am also worried that there appears to be little mention of the WAV/Saloon situation where there is no mechanism or provision for getting a proper balance where mixed fleets are permitted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:20 pm 

edders23 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In our area the firm with the most drivers and work are the ones who get 95% of all complaints but people still keep using them why because they quote cheap

That's capitalism for you :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:30 am 

Looks like the LC has done nothing so far to improve the lot for the poor serfs out there. As Mr T pointed out the PH BArons are the new mill owners.

They know if one man leaves, there will be twenty more to replace him...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:12 am 

187ums wrote:
Looks like the LC has done nothing so far to improve the lot for the poor serfs out there. As Mr T pointed out the PH BArons are the new mill owners.

where from?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:48 am 

captain cab wrote:
187ums wrote:

where from?

Romania Hungary Bulgaria, Albania,Bangladesh,Pakistan,Afghanistan Africa south America basically anywhere in the world where the standard of living is lower than the UK and there is uncontrolled population growth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:59 am 

edders23 wrote:
Romania Hungary Bulgaria, Albania,Bangladesh,Pakistan,Afghanistan Africa south America basically anywhere in the world where the standard of living is lower than the UK and there is uncontrolled population growth

Provided they qualify - they can already drive minicabs here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 pm 

captain cab wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Provided they qualify - they can already drive minicabs here.

It's a whole lot easier to qualify when there are no or very little qualifications :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next