Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:13 pm 

These have been *reported* in the last week or two (the Glasgow incident took place last year, and the report is about the court case). Haven't bothered with the full articles because they're slightly peripheral to the trade, and no sign of any driver involvement.

But just putting them up here as a reminder, maybe for future reference.

Glasgow knife thug stabs two men outside Sauchiehall Street pub after taxi queue row

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... o-22168301

The High Court in Glasgow heard today that Jordan Moore bought a blade from a nearby store and chased down his victims after taking offence at their attempt to be friendly while waiting for a cab.

Man attacked in Canterbury West railway station taxi rank suffers bleed on brain

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury ... in-257707/

A man was taken to hospital with a bleed on the brain and a broken jaw after being attacked in a taxi rank.

Police issue CCTV after queue jumping row at taxi rank led to brutal assault

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-22125129

Officers believe the person in the images may be able to help with their investigation into the incident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:13 pm 

This is another one less than a month ago, but doesn't look like it was anything to do with the rank at all, but the rank just happened to be close to the incident.

Man punched and stamped on by gang of youths at taxi rank outside Leeds Station

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... on-3431346

Police are appealing for information after a man was punched and stamped on by a gang of youths outside Leeds Station.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:48 pm 

For what it's worth, another rank incident (while punter getting into taxi), so perhaps not worth a new thread.

Police appeal after assault at taxi rank in Chelmsford

https://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co. ... helmsford/

A YOUNG man has required hospital treatment after being assaulted by a group of four men.

Police are appealing for witnesses to an assault at around 12.30am on Sunday, December 12.

A 25-year-old man was assaulted by a group of men in Baddow Road, Chelmsford, at the taxi rank near the Nags Head as he and his brother were getting into a taxi.

He required hospital treatment for a facial injury and sustained a bleed behind his eye.

Detective Constable James Cross, investigating, said: “The victim was assaulted by a group of four men after the victim reported accidently bumping into them.

“It was a busy time in the city, lots of people would have been going home after a Saturday night out in Chelmsford."

Officers ask anyone who saw what happened to call them on 101 quoting crime reference 42/289107/21.

Submit a report online at essex.police.uk or use the 'Live Chat' button to speak to an online operator between 7am-11pm.

Information can also be given to independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:26 am 

Another one in Glasgow :?

Man claims he was momentarily paralysed after 'Glasgow taxi queue attack'

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/198 ... ue-attack/

A MAN claimed he was momentarily paralysed after he was allegedly attacked by a taxi queue jumper.

Conor Delaney stated that he also lost memory after being punched on the back of the head in Glasgow's Merchant City on March 15, 2020.

The 26-year-old told a jury that he was unable to stand after losing feeling down the right side of his body.

The new dad was later found to have broken his leg and dislocated his shoulder which stopped his nine-year career as a painter and decorator.

Brian McGuigan, 39, denies assaulting Conor to his severe injury and impairment at Glasgow Sheriff Court.

McGuigan, of the city's Garthamlock, was also charged with assaulting Conor's dad Jim to his severe injury but this was deleted during the trial by the prosecutor.

Conor told jurors in evidence that he was out with Jim and his friends Mick and Gerry at Connolly's.

He stated that they drank from 4pm until 10.20pm when the group waited outside in the taxi queue together.

Conor claimed McGuigan and a woman entered the queue together and went in front of them.

He stated that he made a joke to the pair saying: "It's busy tonight, mate."

Conor claimed he turned back to his group when he felt a fist on his head.

Prosecutor Emma Baker asked what force was used.

He replied: "Quite a bit of force, as I fell to the ground.

"I think I stumbled on the road between two parked cars."

Miss Baker asked what happened after he fell to the ground.

The witness stated: "It's up to that I remember as I lost memory once I hit the ground."

He added that he was in pain and the next thing he could remember was no being able to move.

Miss Baker asked why he couldn't move and he replied: "I had no feeling on the right side of my body from my shoulder to my leg."

Miss Baker asked who hit him and the witness said: "Presumably, it was the man."

Conor claimed when he came round, he saw his dad with blood on his face and McGuigan being restrained by police.

He added that he was unable to stand due and was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

Conor stated he spent the night and his leg was put in a caste for six months has he had broken his right fibula.

He also claimed that he suffered a dislocated right shoulder and a lump on his head.

The witness stated that he was unable to spend time with his eight-month-old baby and he was unable to lift her as he was in crutches.

Conor was also restricted in his then job and has become an HGV driver since May last year.

David Fisken, defending, suggested that Conor and his group were "angry" that McGuigan had skipped the queue but he denied this.

It was also put to him that he had made an inappropriate sexual comment to McGuigan's girlfriend which he also refuted.

The lawyer added: "It was you who hit him first" which Conor replied: "No."

Jim Delaney, 51, told jurors in evidence that he saw McGuigan grappling with Conor after his son made the joke.

The Royal Mail driver said he was initially attacked by a woman when he went to approach the pair.

He added that he found himself lying on the ground after trying to punch McGuigan.

Jim added: “I was on all fours and my son was down, I got back up and felt the man come over and boot me to the face.”

He stated he was bleeding heavily and threatened McGuigan as a police officer was treating him at the scene.

Jim claimed he underwent surgery on a wound to his lip which has left numbness.

Jim added that he has PTSD due to the incident and is embarrass by the fractured teeth he sustained.

The trial continues before sheriff Tony Kelly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 pm 

They're coming in thick and fast :?

Appropriately, this chap is called Savage. Pointing which out, probably makes me a racist bigot in some people's book 8-[

But, as the judge points out, the victim could just as easily died, as per the several manslaughter/culpable homicide cases on here.

But the victim didn't even support the prosecution. And the perp got off lightly. No word of any history, but makes you wonder if someone could get to this age and display this level of violence without some sort of criminal record :?

Whitehaven taxi queue attacker said he was racially abused

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/1987 ... ly-abused/

Image: News & Star

A NIGHT out in Whitehaven ended violently as a furious man in a taxi queue attacked a stranger who he believed had racially abused him.

Julian Savage, 52, first knocked out his victim with a headbutt and then, as the man lay unconscious and helpless on the ground, he stamped on his upper chest and twice punched him in the face.

One witness said the defendant acted out of "pure rage". The defendant, a qualified gas engineer, of Copeland Avenue, Whitehaven, denied the original charge of wounding.

Prosecutors accepted his guilty plea to an assault causing actual bodily harm. At Carlisle Crown Court, prosecutor Gerard Rogerson outlined the facts.

Savage and his partner were waiting in a long but orderly taxi queue in Duke Street at around 11.10pm on June 13. As they waited, the victim approached Savage's partner and there was a "friendly exchange," said Mr Rogerson.

"Mrs Savage appeared to be behaving in a cheeky and affectionate manner - you can see several hugs on the CCTV and [the victim] is intoxicated, staggering a little on his feet."

The man then made gestures towards Savage, and it was after one of these that the defendant attacked him.

"He headbutted [the victim] squarely in the face, causing him to fall heavily backwards, striking his head on the pavement," said Mr Rogerson.

"He was rendered unconscious.

"Mr Savage then stepped forward and brought his foot down in the area of [the victim's] neck and upper chest once.

"He followed that up by issuing two punches to the head area [of the victim] as he lay on the ground on his back, apparently unconscious."

Nearby police officers immediately reacted. Though he ran away and struggled free of the police, Savage was arrested after being tasered.

The victim, who lost a tooth in the attack, refused to support the prosecution.

Savage later admitted the offence on the basis that was provoked by being "racially abused" by the victim.

A witness said the sound of the victim's head hitting the ground was loud, adding that Savage stamped on the victim "with force".

The woman said: "He had pure rage in him and he wasn't afraid of what he'd done. I was scared to look at [the victim's] face.. It was a terrible incident to witness and I would say that it's the worst thing I have witnessed."

Mr Rogerson rejected the defendant's claim that the victim racially abused Savage, describing his behaviour that night as "tomfoolery."

Peter Cruickshank, defending, said the defendant's partner was clearly telling the victim to go away. "Mr Savage perceived he was racially abused," said the barrister.

"But he recognises he did wrong and he apologises for doing so." He described Savage as a family man whose references spoke of him in "glowing terms."

Judge Richard Archer accepted there was "an element of provocation" before the assault but Savage's decision to continue the attack as his victim lay unconscious was not recklessness.

"It demonstrates that you were continuing to be overpowered by the rage which caused you to act in a way, which I accept was out of character," said the judge.

The judge said some victims knocked to the in such incidents die and the attacker at the very least face a manslaughter charge.

But given the defendant's lack of previous offending and the "provocation", the sentence could be suspended.

Savage was given a 19 week jail term suspended for 18 months. He must do 100 hours of unpaid work in the community.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 pm 

Maybe this comment tells us a bit more about it all than is revealed in the press article. Who'd have expected this?

Quote:
Or, the victim didn't want to aid the prosecution because he knows if he did then his life in Whitehaven would be over. I know that it says that the offender had a lack of previous offending, but a few people that know of him knows otherwise. Most of the time terms like lack of offending, previous good character, just mean "never been caught/prosecuted before".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:31 pm 

Not sure I would ever join a taxi queue late at night.

No wonder that kids are using the app companies in the numbers they currently are.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:31 am 

Not proven rather than not guilty, but it still counts as an acquittal :?

Glasgow man acquitted of taxi queue assault in Merchant City

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/198 ... hant-city/

A MAN was cleared today of assaulting a man in a taxi queue.[...]

A jury found the charge not proven and McGuigan, of the city's Garthamlock, was acquitted of the charge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:10 am 

Wasn't going to bother with this, because no trade involvement, and not even clear if it's queuing-related or just happened to be near a rank.

But one of the posts in this thread a couple of months ago was also from Whitehaven, population 24,000 :?

Meanwhile, the local commenters on the website are wondering why the headline mentions that the perp worked at Sellafield. Relevant? :-k

Sellafield worker hit man at taxi rank in Whitehaven after fight broken up by police

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/2005 ... en-police/

A Sellafield worker hit a man at a taxi rank after police broke up an earlier fight.

Workington Magistrates Court heard there had been an incident in the early hours of March 19 where a fight had broken out in Whitehaven.

Police had intervened and the men involved were told to go home. Officers on patrol noticed Gavin Maudling stood at the taxi rank at about 2.50am.

Maudling, 34, of Whinlatter Road, Whitehaven, turned round and punched the man behind him "with force", causing him to fall to the ground.

Pamela Fee, prosecuting, said officers went over and grabbed Maudling while another officer checked on the welfare of the man.

They spoke to him but he didn't wish to provide any details.

Maudling was taken to the police station. He was interviewed and admitted assault but said it was done in self defence.

The defendant said he had been assaulted earlier in the night by a group of males. He said he had been having banter but then it turned violent.

He said he had been out drinking with his two brothers and had drank as many as 10 pints. He initially stated he had done nothing to the man then said he was "slavering behind him".

John Cooper, defending, said Maudling had been out in Whitehaven and doesn't go out regularly.

He had become separated from his brothers and had been attacked. Police became involved and sent everyone in different directions.

Mr Cooper said Maudling had been on his way to get a taxi and his memory is "being followed".

Comments were made and Maudling turned round and hit the man.

Mr Cooper said the defendant accepted that it wasn't self defence.

Maudling, who works at Sellafield, pleaded guilty to using threatening, abusive, insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of or provoke unlawful violence.

He was given a community order with a four-week curfew, to run daily from 7pm to 6am.

The defendant must also pay £85 costs and a £95 victim surcharge.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:37 am 

Don't know if those south of the border are up to speed with things, but Scotrail has cancelled all evening trains for the last few hours of the night, and this is likely to go on for several months at least :-o

So this kind of thing from last week likely to get a lot worse, and who knows what will happen if 70% of Glasgow's black hacks disappear when LEZ comes into force next year :shock:

Serious Assault at taxi rank at Buchanan Bus Station, Glasgow

https://www.scotland.police.uk/what-s-h ... n-glasgow/

Serious Assault – Taxi Rank at Buchanan Bus Station

Police at Glasgow City Centre Police Office are appealing for information after a 42-year-old man was seriously assaulted at the taxi rank at Buchanan Bus Station around 00.30am on Thursday, 19 May 2022.

At this time a group of males standing at the taxi rank became involved in a fight. One of the men was knocked to the ground where he was punched and kicked to the head. He was taken to the Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

The taxi rank was busy at the time of the incident as it was shortly after the Europa League Final. Officers are appealing for anyone who was at the taxi rank, who may have seen the incident to contact them.

Anyone with information should contact police via 101, quoting incident number 0132 of 19 May, 2022. Alternatively, calls can be made to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 where anonymity can be maintained.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:37 am 

As the table in the link below shows, the last trains are generally leaving two or three hours earlier, or even four or five hours earlier in some cases :-o

So, essentially, those who previously relied on trains to get home after a night out will just have to stay at home, or get a taxi, or buses, if they're available.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-61542482

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:39 pm 

Quote:
Don't know if those south of the border are up to speed with things, but Scotrail has cancelled all evening trains for the last few hours of the night, and this is likely to go on for several months at least

Fewer people are using trains, so fewer trains are needed, thus fewer staff are required by the train companies.

Working from home is becoming the norm, and those folks don't need trains.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:13 am 

Sussex wrote:
Working from home is becoming the norm, and those folks don't need trains.

Eh? :-s

Absolutely nothing to do with that as far as I can see. It's about industrial action and a shortage of train drivers. It's mostly trains in the late evening that won't be running.

For example, at our wee station, previously there would be trains from Edinburgh arriving at 2225, 2240, 2335 and 0025 (approx times).

Now the last one arrives about 2115, having departed Edinburgh at about 2000.

Your argument is a bit like saying all taxi offices will now shut up shop and all HCs will be off the street by 2100 because more people are working from home :-o

(Roughly speaking, it seems a lot of Scotrail services depended on drivers working overtime and on rest days, which they're now not doing as part of industrial action for a pay claim.

The SNP thought they'd be clever and nationalised Scotrail a few months ago, thinking they could run it better, whereas they couldn't run a train set. And the unions have scented blood, and think a rail franchise run by the SNP will be a soft touch compared to a private sector employer.

Oh, my aching sides :lol: I'm getting the popcorn in :D )

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:30 am 

Probably the biggest news and political issue in Scotland right now. Quite a long piece for anyone south of the border, but the headlines and a quick skim read should provide the flavour.

The taxi shortage and LEZ stuff is neatly summarised in this piece as well, and how the rail situation will knock on to that (that part is highlighted below).

But it's mainly a night-time economy thing, not to mention gigs and theaters etc. Basically, the late night trains have disappeared from Monday. Not to mention the Edinburgh Festival later in the summer, and there's a bit of a stink about how it'll impact the Open in St Andrews in a few weeks (there's normally an enhanced train service). And they haven't even published timetables for Saturdays and Sundays yet :-o

There's also fewer early morning trains, I think, although the main impact is late evening. Basically, a third of all trains have disappeared :shock:

RETURN TICKET PLEASE ScotRail timetable chaos sees music fans sell gig tickets amid fears they’ll be left stranded

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/8 ... o-tickets/

MUSIC fans are selling gig tickets in their droves amid fears ScotRail timetable cuts will leave them stranded.

The Killers at Falkirk Stadium and Pet Shop Boys Boys at Glasgow's Ovo Hydro are just two big events that could see crowds decimated.

It comes after a train driver pay dispute hit evening services.

A nightclub boss is now warning Scotland’s trains shambles could create a “never-ending chain of misery” as rail chiefs faced growing pressure to reveal their weekend timetable.

Industry guru Donald MacLeod fears the situation - coming hot on the heels of Covid - could also wreck the world-renowned Edinburgh Festival.

He hit out as, incredibly, those with plans this weekend don’t know when engines are running - with operators stating train times for Saturdays and Sundays will be released “ASAP”.

MacLeod said: “It impacts not just the night-time economy, it impacts staff and suppliers and all the way down the food chain.

“If people stop going out, businesses start to suffer and that’s the biggest problem we have here.

“If this continues - and it looks like there is no endgame in sight - this will impact massively on the Edinburgh Festival - one of the best known festivals in the world.

“This will impact tourism, bed and breakfast, hotels and it could become a never-ending chain of misery.”

The fury was sparked on Monday when we told how a reduced timetable saw 700 services axed with a further 21 culled on launch day.

The unplanned cancellations came amid a driver shortage due to a pay dispute, which had seen one in three trains called off.

Scottish Tory MSP Graham Simpson warned: “Passengers are bearing the brunt of savage cuts.”

On Tuesday talks resumed between Aslef and ScotRail chiefs as there were growing fears over travel plans for runners taking part in the Edinburgh Marathon.

Business leaders echoed MacLeod’s concerns as they united to condemn the chaos and press First Minister Nicola Sturgeon to resolve the pay rammy that’s crippled our railways.

A letter calling for urgent action has been signed by bigwigs at the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, the Scottish Tourism Alliance, the Scottish Retail Consortium, Scottish Financial Enterprise and the Institute of Directors Scotland.

It says: “Many of these businesses and city centre hubs, the lifeblood of our economy, are just beginning to emerge from the long and destabilising impact of the Covid pandemic and this latest disruption will undoubtedly take a heavy toll.

“The collective focus must be on accelerating economic recovery and, with many major sports events, festivals, and the high tourist season nearly upon us, this impasse threatens Scotland’s ability to attract visitors at a time when they are most needed.

“Furthermore, we are in the teeth of a cost-of-living crisis and many passengers across the country must have access to a reliable train service that doesn’t require them to spend more disposable income on sourcing alternative routes of travel, just so they can commute to and from work.”

In the wake of the slashed services fuming music fans are offering tickets for sale amid fears they’ll be stranded after seeing their favourite bands.

Many gutted punters told of their dismay at having to miss seeing The Killers who are due to take the stage at the Falkirk Stadium in less than a fortnight.

And others say they’ve been forced to scrap long-standing plans to see The Pet Shops Boys who are due to play at The Hydro in Glasgow this weekend.

Other big gigs which could see their crowds decimated include Alice Cooper and support act the Cult at The Hydro on Saturday, Scots violinist Nicola Benedetti at Edinburgh’s Usher Hall and UB40 at the Barrowlands on Thursday.

One Twitter user fumed: “Relative bought tickets (pre-Covid) for concert in Falkirk.

“Paid well over the odds as it sold out immediately. Now has to cancel as there are no trains after it finished.

“Trying to sell tickets. There are now hundreds available. Wonder why.”

Another Killers fan added: “Now tickets are being offered in their thousands. It is easier for me to travel to London to see them from Edinburgh, than Falkirk.”

One fan was offering four pitch standing briefs for the show at face value and begged other Twitter users to spread the word.

But he was one of countless more worried music fans looking to get rid of their tickets for a host of shows.

Garage nightclub boss MacLeod warned this weekend could see thousands of revellers staying home, with an ongoing taxi shortage fuelling their travel woes.

He said: “This Saturday, for example you’ve got Alice Cooper and The Cult at The Hydro - big ticket prices - but they don’t finish until 10.30pm or 10.45pm.

“And how long does it normally take to get from The Hydro up to the train stations?

“This is going to present huge problems particularly in Glasgow where you already have a taxi shortage.

“A lot of taxi drivers moved into other forms of employment during the pandemic and they haven’t come back

“And next year we are introducing a low emission zone in Glasgow and I understand many of the current vehicles in operation won’t comply.

“That should be delayed to let people get things back together or there will be more trouble on the horizon.

“On Monday we have a show at the Barrowlands with Meshuggah and the same night you’ve got My Chemical Romance at The Hydro, how are people meant to get home?

“The Scottish Government really need to pull their fingers out because it’s just a shambles at the moment.”

MacLeod also said the decimated train time-table is the last thing the sector needs after two and a half years of a Covid pandemic that ripped the heart out the industry.

He added: “We were first to close and last to open when the pandemic hit and now we are bearing the brunt again.

“A general feeling of negativity could mean that people just don’t go out.

“Venues like the Garage and the Cathouse have a curfew at 10pm but that’s a pretty tight timeline.

“In some cases we can open doors earlier but by that point people have already made up their minds.

“God forbid that the last train from Glasgow gets cancelled.

“Then you’ve got a whole string of events coming up in the summer including massive shows at Hampden Park and of course TRNSMT.

“There are set timelines these bands play to and are contracted to and the licence itself is granted on this. How do you accommodate that?”

MacLeod went on to question the need for training of new train drivers to be halted during the Covid pandemic.

His comments came as union members, including Scottish signallers, backed a national rail strike.

He added: “This all could have been avoided if the training of new drivers had been signed off during the pandemic.

“It seems now like we were not planning for the future, not planning for a world without Covid which is a disgrace.”

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 7:38 pm 

Quote:
Absolutely nothing to do with that as far as I can see. It's about industrial action and a shortage of train drivers. It's mostly trains in the late evening that won't be running.

My understanding is that the lack of drivers is because they are refusing to do overtime, as they want an increase in salary higher than is being currently offered.

The reason they aren't being given a larger increase is because far fewer folks are using the train service.